Forum Member

Default Fire suppression on top of EMT-B course??

Hey there folks, I'm registered for an EMT-B course that begins next week at my local hospital.

This course meets Mon, Tue & Thurs, four hours each night (12hrs per week) and the orientation sheet recommends 4-6 hours a week of study outside of class.

Just last week I learned about a fire suppression course at a community college that would serve as a pre-req for the FFI&II certs. This course is a primer to FFI&II, not a part of it. It meets only one day per week for four hours in the morning.

On top of all that I work a full time job as a sales rep for a publishing firm, selling college text books. It's serious work but my time is very flexible. I'm also a husband and father so there's family time mixed in there as well.

My question is for those of you who've taken these courses. How much out of class time did you find you needed to spend while becoming an EMT? Has anyone taken a course similar to the fire suppression course I'm describing? (10 wk, 40hr primer to FFI&II) Do you think a person could handle both of them on top of family life and a full time professional job?

I'm fired up about this, committed to make it happen and excited, I think that will carry me well but I don't want to botch all this up.

Also, part of my sense of urgency is that I'm 29 and only have about 6 years to make it into fire service which is my long term plan. I plan on working as an EMT/Medic while doing everything I can to make myself competitive on the fire side.

Forum Member

what is the fire suppression going to do for you other than give you an idea of what'll be involved in FFI/II. You're still going to have to take FFI and II so I'd have to suggest just taking the EMT and putting all your focus on that then shift focus to FFI & II when the time comes. I know you want to get it moving quickly but I'd hate to see you spend money and time on something that may not directly move you forward esepecially when it's taking from other things that will.

Forum Member

I'd rather just go into the FFI&II programs in the fall after my EMT course.

However, the community college that offers FF I&II has told me that this fire suppression course is a prerequisite to I&II at their school.

There's not many other options in central Indiana for this training so my choices are slim...

From what I've heard the last few days it's pretty rare to have a course like this required just to get into the FF I&II courses...

Forum Member

Hey Shadow! Look it's like this: First I have to agree with "sredish". EMT-B is quite a challenge if you've never been exposed to this type of coursework (i.e. medical terminology, treatment modalities, ect..) Between your full-time job and EMT-B...TRUST ME...You'll be fully engaged! I've both sat through EMT and Paramedic training and been a trainer of EMT's and Paramedics....IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE! And, requires your undivided attention!

Now about this pre-requisite firefighter course. You mean to say that this is the only time they'll ever offer this class?? C'mon Shadow! I know you're "fired up" but from how you've laid this out, it seems like you're trying to fit 50#'s of sh*t in a 20# sack! Slow down dawg...you'll get there! And for all the family men on this site (myself included), I don't think I'll get any disagreement when I say it's all good in moderation. Remember the saying "....If Mama ain't happy then nobody is happy!" That's real stuff! You mention you have a family...but what type of quality time is there for them. These are the people you want to show up at your graduation from the fire academy..AND you want to make sure they're there! (see where I'm goin' with this?)
    Lastly, it's very likely that your zeal to become a firefighter has manifested itself at work. Your boss probably knows you don't plan to be around for long. You may have revealed that through your conversation with others about your goals or even through your productivity (or possible lack of). So keep your life balanced out. You have plenty of time (I don't know why you say you only have six years). You need this job to keep food on the table and so you don't have to explain why you don't have a job later. Most importantly...you'll never get that time back with your wife and kids. Keep them in the loop!

"Purpose, Truth and Passion Yields Power and Dominion IN ACTION!!"

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're in the Indianapolis area, don't worry about taking FF1/FF2 on your own dime. Very few depts in the area require you to have those. In fact, over 95% of the depts will put you through the academy and EMT (unless you're a paramedic already) school regardless of your previous training. Even if you've been a FF for years at a neighboring dept.

Start applying now! Go ahead and do the EMT. At the least, it's great experience and will make that part of the academy much easier.

PM me and I can give you some more local information.

Is this IvyTech that's requiring this primer course?

Forum Member

That's some pretty good advice Axeman. I'm almost a month into my EMT course and on top of a full time job & family it is a good workload.

I'm glad I'm not taking another course on top of it so I can focus more on getting the EMT solid. So far I'm averaging 94% and I'm about 1/4 into the course.

YZX, I'll send you a message, I'd appreciate any advice you've got.

take care

Thread Information