Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sperian Warrior

Forum Member

Default Sperian Warrior

I would like to hear from anyone using the Sperian Warrior. We have had some issues with the straps coming loose and back pain in lower back in area of swivel joint. We presently have Sigmas, Panthers and a few Warriors and are at a point of determining the direction of our SCBA program. Thanks.

Point it in the direction of Scott, and never look back.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

I will say this we had sperian and just got rid of them right before I got on and got Scott. The one's they had prior to the scott were partly to blame for the death of two firefighters. Just part not the only reason. Now I have never used sperian/survive air. I have used scott and MSA and they are both nice and if I had to pick one of the two I would pick scott. I have heard from a few guys on the job that tested all the brands and they seemed to like Drager the best and Scott second but Drager was too expensive. I would look into everything before you pick one do not listen to what the people like or don't like on hear and test them all for your self and see what will work for you and your dept.

Forum Member

I am not a major Scott fan.We use Scott's at the volunteer dept I am with and both the speciality teams I am on. Really like the MSA Firehawk M7. It really comes down to dollars as a lot of things do in the times we live in. I have used both Scott and MSA back in the stone age before positive pressure was required and those worked fine. My real issue with Scott right now has to deal with the lack of exhaltion valve in the mask itself requiring each person to be issued a second stage regulator and mask to be sanitary. Just need to find out if other depts are having the same issues with the Warriors as we are. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sarscuba; 05-13-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarscuba View Post
    I am not a major Scott fan.We use Scott's at the volunteer dept I am with and both the speciality teams I am on. Really like the MSA Firehawk M7. It really comes down to dollars as a lot of things do in the times we live in. I have used both Scott and MSA back in the stone age before positive pressure was required and those worked fine. My real issue with Scott right now has to deal with the lack of exhaltion valve in the mask itself requiring each person to be issued a second stage regulator and mask to be sanitary. Just need to find out if other depts are having the same issues with the Warriors as we are. Thanks.
    How many sick guys(from masks)have you seen in Boston and FDNY? An MSA sales gimmick. We've used Scott for years WITHOUT problems in this area. A lil squirt of Scott spray(Multiwash) and good to go if you're THAT concerned. Nothing wrong with an MSA either,but look BEYOND just the "comfort" to the TOTAL cost of ownership.DOLLARS aren't JUST the initial purchase but the LONG TERM costs of ownership. Try BEFORE you buy. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 05-13-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Forum Member

gotta keep in mind that this is still a survive air with a new name. Recently a decision was upheld that the company was responsible for damages in the death of a brother in Missouri when they knowingly had problems with their electronics (from internal memos) that stated there was a problem. That one issue was the reason for the biggest change in the2007 NFPA 1851 & 1852 in the heat and submersion testing requirements being so stringent. I kind of equate it to the Ford Pinto issue. Want to buy one? Want to trust your families safety to one?
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

How many sick guys(from masks)have you seen in Boston and FDNY? An MSA sales gimmick.
    Exactly. And if your run out, mix up some iodine water and have at it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Well since we have been using Surviairs for 15 years now and have a great working relationship with the factory don't see us changing now. We do our own in house repairs on most aspects of the SCBAs we have. I like Scott and MSA but unless a magic fairy suddenly dumps $170K to replace all of our packs it isn't happening. Would like to find the depts using the Warrior packs and see if they are experiencing the issues we have. Thanks.

I hope you can find someone to help. But I think you are in a MINORITY with THOSE packs. No one I know of around here uses them. Good Luck.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LT2387 View Post
    gotta keep in mind that this is still a survive air with a new name. Recently a decision was upheld that the company was responsible for damages in the death of a brother in Missouri when they knowingly had problems with their electronics (from internal memos) that stated there was a problem. That one issue was the reason for the biggest change in the2007 NFPA 1851 & 1852 in the heat and submersion testing requirements being so stringent. I kind of equate it to the Ford Pinto issue. Want to buy one? Want to trust your families safety to one?
    You are correct except it was two brothers.

I would like to hear from anyone using the Sperian Warrior. We have had some issues with the straps coming loose and back pain in lower back in area of swivel joint. We presently have Sigmas, Panthers and a few Warriors and are at a point of determining the direction of our SCBA program. Thanks.
    Quit throwing good money after bad.
    SCOTT, Draeger, MSA, hankerchief, beard wetted and placed in mouth.
    In that order, is how I take my respiratory protection.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    You are correct except it was two brothers.
    Yep... Meant to say there were two but one had gotten the judgement in what I remember reading, did the second one get a judgement amount yet?
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

MembersZone Subscriber

Last I heard is one widow won the law suit and the other took a settlement. But I did hear the the family that took the settlement is back in court for something else about the Survive Air pack that was not included the first time. Don't know what though.

Forum Member

I hope you can find someone to help. But I think you are in a MINORITY with THOSE packs. No one I know of around here uses them. Good Luck.T.C.
    I am unsure of what model but the Norway fire dept (ME) uses surviveair. Also Bethel (ME) fire dept runs a few survive air packs. Although i do believe that they are both slowly transitioning over to Scott packs.

We had surprise air before going to MSA FireHawks. I think they're alright, but there's too much that can break.....Lots of plastic and electronic components. If the only grieving point with SCOTT is the lack of an exhalation valve, I'll take it. I've used ISI, Surprise air, SCOTT, MSA and InterSpiero, And SCOTT's my pick. Tough, reliable, dependable. Good luck with your new packs.
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

We just went with Scott to fill our grant request. Primary reason was I already had Scott and the costs would allow me to have some excess funds left over.

However when I had a vendor show me the Viking ISI, I was surprised how comfortable the facepiece was. It seem to actually enhance your periferral vision and for those who have a little problem with claustraphobia, ISI seemed to help that during usage. Was very surprised how compact the system was as well. Big concern though was how much of it was made in the USA. That's important to me with grant purchases.

Forum Member

I will say we have tested other packs, Scott and MSA, and as you all know they all have their strengths and weaknesses. We have applied for a grant in the past and probably will again. I don't mind the Surviair/Sperian and have had pretty good service from the Panthers. The old metal framed Sigmas were light weight and breathing was very easy, just didn't care for the blue bubble masks. The new 20/20 Plus masks are comfortable and visiblity is compareable to the Scott 2000/3000 series. We also have the analog gauges on all our packs, we had done that before the it was mandated, don't trust much of the electronic stuff on that matter on any pack.

Ok so here is the deal until some serious dollars emerge I will continue to maintain our current packs. If by chance the we do get the dollars we will once again re-evaluate our packs and look at Scotts and MSAs.

Thanks again!

I will say we have tested other packs, Scott and MSA, and as you all know they all have their strengths and weaknesses. We have applied for a grant in the past and probably will again. I don't mind the Surviair/Sperian and have had pretty good service from the Panthers. The old metal framed Sigmas were light weight and breathing was very easy, just didn't care for the blue bubble masks. The new 20/20 Plus masks are comfortable and visiblity is compareable to the Scott 2000/3000 series. We also have the analog gauges on all our packs, we had done that before the it was mandated, don't trust much of the electronic stuff on that matter on any pack.

Ok so here is the deal until some serious dollars emerge I will continue to maintain our current packs. If by chance the we do get the dollars we will once again re-evaluate our packs and look at Scotts and MSAs.

Thanks again!

Two best options out there. Good luck and happy hunting
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    I am unsure of what model but the Norway fire dept (ME) uses surviveair. Also Bethel (ME) fire dept runs a few survive air packs. Although i do believe that they are both slowly transitioning over to Scott packs.
    Last time WE were in Norway/SP we were a LITTLE busy and I didn't take pack inventory. I based my comments on the Fire training I do Statewide and stand by what I wrote. VERY FEW Suprise aire packs in the State of Maine.Not that they are a BAD pack,just NOT very popular here. Scotts/MSA's predominately. Wonder why the transition?,hehe T.C.

We just did a very thorough test on MSA, Scott, Draeger PSS 7000, and ISI. After the first round of testing it was very clear to us that the Draeger and ISI are years ahead of Scott and MSA. Bolt on additions to meet NFPA did not get us enthused and they were nowhere near as comfortable as either the ISI or Draeger. Service is the virtually the same for all of the packs in our situation.

Negatives:
    We found that the ISI straps leave something to be desired (everyone got them twisted), it takes a couple different sizes of face piece to outfit our department (big problem when we don't issue individual masks), and we have questions about the lifespan of the one air switch.
    Draeger has multiple batteries (both number and types), the face piece is heavier, and buttons to go off air are difficult to find with gloves on.

Positives:
    ISI was generally very comfortable, the face piece gives unrivalled visibility, there is only one battery pack for all functions, all major features are contained in the back pack, the on - off air switch, pitch of the PASS catches ear, the voice amplification was the clearest we saw, and cleaning is by far the easiest.
    Draeger is by far the most comfortable pack that I have ever put on. The seal on the face piece is the best in the industry, air flow was never lacking, the pack seemed to be the most durable that we encountered, the PASS was very loud, and required (recommended) service is at the greatest intervals.

I realize that we don't run as much as many others, but we also went in with an open mind (blind brand loyalty makes absolutely no sense to me) and a spreadsheet that took out preferences and just rated the performance. For us it was:
    ISI - 1278, Draeger - 1255, MSA - 625, Scott - 614

Thread Information