Forum Member

Default An end to KSAs and a start to quicker hiring?

Obama Orders Hiring Changes, End to KSAs

President Obama has ordered federal hiring managers to revamp the way the government hires workers and to eliminate from the initial application process the use of the onerous essays called KSAs that assess applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities.

The changes, detailed in a May 11 presidential memorandum, are part of Obama’s effort to cut in half the time it takes to fill vacancies and to give the government a leg up in competing with the private sector for the best candidates.

Under the order, agencies by Nov. 1 must do away with any requirements for KSAs in the initial application process and allow all jobseekers to use resumes and cover letters, or let them complete simple, plain-language applications as they do when applying for non-governmental jobs.

The order also allows departments within agencies to switch to a system known as “category hiring,” which allows a manager to hire from a wider list of qualified candidates. This method would replace the old “rule of three” hiring method, which requires a manager to choose from among only three qualified candidates. Under the order, after a department has screened candidates from a list, another department also would be able to pick candidates from the same list, rather than start the process anew.

Among other things, the order also instructs OPM to improve the quality of federal job announcements to make them more understandable to candidates, and encourages senior administration officials and agency heads visiting universities to inform students about federal employment.

National Treasury Employees Union President Colleen Kelley applauded the move to streamline hiring, but cautioned that the changes, particularly the category hiring, should not subvert the civil service merit hiring process. Kelley said she was especially encouraged that the president’s mandate ordered the Office of Personnel Management to evaluate agency use of the Federal Career Intern Program and report back. NTEU has been advocating the elimination of the FCIP, which the union says has been used by agencies to avoid merit-based hiring to fill entry-level positions.

ref: http://www.federaldaily.com/federald...tm?s=fd_051310

ref: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...hiring-process
    Last edited by ShredddinCali; 05-13-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Forum Member

Sounds to me like they are trying to dumb down the process and make it easier to handpick people to meet diversity goals.

Forum Member

Default hrm...

exactly what i was thinking... wouldn't be surprised if someone can get a gs-7 spot without certifications the way things are goin...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    exactly what i was thinking... wouldn't be surprised if someone can get a gs-7 spot without certifications the way things are goin...
    Not the Navy...their HR will screw over anybody...no matter race, sex, creed or other!!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    You say that like itís something new. As far as I can see, hiring people without the proper certifications is nothing new. Never mind hiring or promoting those who have obtained the certifications, who cannot fulfill the minimum NPQS for the certifications they hold.

This is why I have such an issue with the drivers training programs that many DoD installations utilize. Requiring 20 hrs of drivers training, so that a person who is certified as a Driver/Operator, can be licensed is redundant. If you are a certified driver operator of a type of apparatus then you should be able to jump into any apparatus of that type and within a few moments of finding switches, and buttons, be able to operate that apparatus to the NPQS.

If you are certified and ď Not Qualified ď to perform you duties to the NPQS, then there is a breakdown in the system and those supervisors, and training chiefs, are doing a disservice to you, the department, and the fire service as a whole.

And yet it still happens to this day.

Just my 2 Cents

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Not the Navy...their HR will screw over anybody...no matter race, sex, creed or other!!!
    Shut up you bitter prichk and go do your Municipal Fire Department Proby School homework!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Dropping the KSAs makes some sense to me -- always thought it was pretty redundant. If you aren't smart enough to tailor your resume to highlight what you have done in past jobs that is relavant to the one you are applying for, you probably shouldn't get it.

Thread Information