Forum Member

Default regional comm questions for 2010 AFG

I had a couple questions regarding a meeting I had just attended on a regional grant possiblity? I was just a spectator?

1.I was wondering if anyone has been successful with a regional comm afg grant that included fire, police,dpw,harbormaster,basically in addition to any group outside of fire depts and EMS?
    2. In the 2010 AFG is multiple organizations such as fire,police,dpw,etc get higher priority?
    I always believed AFG was just for FD and EMS organizations.
    just wondering thanks.

Forum Member

I was under the impression it was mainly for fire and ems. I included our hospital, but our law enforcement and EOC could not be included.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe you will have to ask only for funds for the fire and EMS agencies - DPW, Police, Harbormaster, etc would have to fund their portion of the system themselves.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I believe you will have to ask only for funds for the fire and EMS agencies - DPW, Police, Harbormaster, etc would have to fund their portion of the system themselves.
    Blake is cool. Blake is wise.

Forum Member

Do you regularly interoperate with your harbor master> As in use their boats for training in water rescue and when on calls out in the bay? We did include our Harbormaster having a portable so we could communicate and we use the town boat for water rescues close inshore and when the tourists park their expensive sailboats on the ledges in our coverage area.
    The police & DPW are a no
    Dispatch if they need radios to be compatible with your requested gear. Yes but limited to the equipment needed to hook up with you.

Forum Member

thanks for the info.
    I thought I missed something after the meeting,and doing these for the last couple of years. I think it is an over zealous new grant writer wanting to include everyone and look good.
    My plan was for the 4 regional fire depts to submit the grant and give a portable to the harbormaster and local beach administrator to call in emergencies; who we do work with a lot. well he states he can have it done in time.I wish him luck

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by timg71 View Post
    thanks for the info.
    I thought I missed something after the meeting,and doing these for the last couple of years. I think it is an over zealous new grant writer wanting to include everyone and look good.
    My plan was for the 4 regional fire depts to submit the grant and give a portable to the harbormaster and local beach administrator to call in emergencies; who we do work with a lot. well he states he can have it done in time.I wish him luck
    I'm very familiar with your area and how the departments are set up. We were down at the Osterville stn last year for a class from VFIS. I would go for the harbormaster and lifeguard having a compatible portable radio as they are an integral part of your department operations. Remember you can ask for 1 mobile per apparatus and one portable for each seated position on those trucks. Base station radios for each station are also an allowable item if you do not have a compatible radio there already.
    Remember to paint the picture for the peer reviewers on your needs.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the info.

Osterville MA? Its been 40 years, but I remember visiting there. Bet it has not changed a bit LOL...

If it is MA, I believe you have it fairly easy - VHF analog narrow band radios are fully compliant I believe with the SCIP. You should check with your state interoperability folks before doing the application, as if you are picked it then goes to the state to make sure it is compliant. You sure don't want to get turned down on technical review.

PLEASE, don't drink the koolaid and go with a propietary format such as Mototrbo. I am not a real fan of P25 either, but TRBO is evil....

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Osterville MA? Its been 40 years, but I remember visiting there. Bet it has not changed a bit LOL...

If it is MA, I believe you have it fairly easy - VHF analog narrow band radios are fully compliant I believe with the SCIP. You should check with your state interoperability folks before doing the application, as if you are picked it then goes to the state to make sure it is compliant. You sure don't want to get turned down on technical review.

PLEASE, don't drink the koolaid and go with a propietary format such as Mototrbo. I am not a real fan of P25 either, but TRBO is evil....
    LVFD: You wouldn't recognize the area around Hyannis if you haven't been there in 40 years.
    I spent several summers in the late 60's/ early 70's working there , and playing beach bum when not working. We went down last year for a 2 day class and I was almost lost trying to find my way around. Tremendous change in how crowded it is now.

Forum Member

centerville-osterville area is where I grew up. Now I am further out on the cape.The cape has changed especially the hyannis area. Hopefully this grant will be done right, but I am finishing up two others,so thanks for the info I will pass along to the group putting it together. good luck for 2010 AFG!

Forum Member

thanks for the info.
    You may have concluded that your grantwriter wants to look good by the size of his proposed project, but he may actually be trying to identify all gaps in communications. His county EOC can often fill in those gaps by funding through other programs. If they are all identified at once, the plans to address those gaps would be a great addition to include in his narrative, and help persuade the reviewers to fund his application.

Irregardless, getting as many agencies together to identify their needs to achieve interoperability can only help everyone. Local, state and federal. When trying to accomplish these types of projects, getting input from everywhere in my opinion is vital.

However, if he is just promoting his ego, seduce his girlfriend and show him the pictures.

What? You think this is wrong? Well you should buy T-mobile!

Listen to LVFD Blake and Island Ed. They will not steer you wrong having been there before.

Thread Information