Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marlborough's Aerials...

Picture taken this afternoon at Fire Headquarters... Ladder 2 and Tower 1
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Is Tower 1 brand new? also, How do they get airflow through the radiator on Ladder 1?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    Is Tower 1 brand new? also, How do they get airflow through the radiator on Ladder 1?
    the grate on the side. There is one on each side of the cab.

What a waste of perfectly good beer and soda cans.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Recycle

Look at the positive side.
    When the aerials are finally retired in 30 years or so they can be recycled to beer cans. And when the beer has been consumed the cans can be recycled into Aluminum aerial towers and when they're retired they can be recycled into beer cans, and when the beer is consumed the cans can be recycled into Aluminum aerial towers etc.

Looks ecologically correct to me!

Not a liker of an E-one aerial.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    At least they don't fall out of the sky!

True Dat! T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    From a user's standpoint, what's not to like? Wider climbing area, lighter stick, stellar record against failure? I'm by no means a big E-One fan, but I find little to fault them on with their sticks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    From a user's standpoint, what's not to like? Wider climbing area, lighter stick, stellar record against failure? I'm by no means a big E-One fan, but I find little to fault them on with their sticks.
    Don't forget short area needed for outriggers using those scissor jacks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Don't forget short area needed for outriggers using those scissor jacks.
    I didn't forget, they're my favorite part of the E-One aerials! I was thinking more as an end user (literally the guy at the tip!)

Its a serious shame that E-one stopped producing the single axle 110' If they still made em, I have no doubt we'd be seriously looking into one for the near future. I've talked to an E-one rep about them before, and was told it was "Impossible" to make them anymore. Was also told the Hurricane cab was out of production for good as well, another damn shame. Any chance you'll sell us yours

Either way, nice shot of the rigs. And I honestly don't see why everyone gives E-One such a hard time, I mean yeah they have their share of problems (Or in our case, with those damn Cummins Diesels...should have just gotten a Detroit) But I've seen plenty of rigs from other manufacturers have there fair of troubles too. I personally love our E-Ones, granted they're no Sutphens, but they get the job done and fit our budget.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineCO38 View Post

Either way, nice shot of the rigs. And I honestly don't see why everyone gives E-One such a hard time, I mean yeah they have their share of problems (Or in our case, with those damn Cummins Diesels...should have just gotten a Detroit) But I've seen plenty of rigs from other manufacturers have there fair of troubles too. I personally love our E-Ones, granted they're no Sutphens, but they get the job done and fit our budget.
    Exactly. We have a 95' E-One platform that has been a good truck. Previous department has a 75' E-One stick that hasnt given any trouble. My volunteer department is exclusivly E-One. Like you say, for the price, most departnents will be just fine running E-One trucks.

It all boils down to the folks who drink the Kool-Aid and repeat what others have said before. Most have no actual expirience and just want to fit in with the croud.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineCO38 View Post
    Its a serious shame that E-one stopped producing the single axle 110' If they still made em, I have no doubt we'd be seriously looking into one for the near future. I've talked to an E-one rep about them before, and was told it was "Impossible" to make them anymore. Was also told the Hurricane cab was out of production for good as well, another damn shame. Any chance you'll sell us yours

Unless you're running "mini me"Cummins,what's your issue? I've got a whole fleet of 'em and they're WAAy cheaper to keep than a damn Detroit. You know what GREEN is a sign of don't ya? hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Well T.C. i would have to agree with the poster regarding the Cummins. We have a total of 4 front line E-ones two 2005 cyclone II with ISM's a 2001 HP 75 on a Cyclone II and and ISM, and our newest one is a 2007 Cyclone II with..... you guessed it another ISM. ( we also have two reserve e-one hurricanes with 8v92s. One of them is the very first one e-one built) These are not over tweaked motors; they all have ratings of 450 HP and 1450. Every single one of these has had the turbo replaced twice with the exception of the 2007 which has gone through only one so far. The 2007 has 28,000 miles on it, both 2005 rigs have 60,000 and the 2001 HP 75 has 68,000. Not impressed. Not to mention the rig that i drive and maintain has left us dead in the water twice over BS computer/electical/multiplex issues that ended with cummins pointing the finger at E-one and vis versa. What do i like about the our cummins? After several strike teams (On average one of these assignments will put 500-800 miles on the rig depending on where the fire is at in the state) up and down our state, i can confidently pull any freeway grade in this state, and in the process out pull Detroit S60 and Cat C-12/13. (must be them straight cylinders) Everyone runs big blocks out here except Cal Fire's Smeal type I rigs. And this is with a 750 gallon tank and everyone else has 500 gallon tanks. Do i like E-ones? NOT a fan. Electrical issues like no other, and spring issues causing catastrophic failures with no warning on the two 05's. OCFA had the same issue apparently so we are waiting to see if our 2007 will have the same fate. The HP 75 on the other hand has had zero suspension issues and hauls 500 gallons around to boot! and dont get me started on our 2005 E-one brush truck! Now to be fair our 2001 La France with a DD60 ate two sets of injectors, and once they got that worked out, the past 50,000 miles has been trouble free and that thing pulls like a mule. Our other DD60 in front line service so far has been good but it is too early to tell with only 21,000 miles on it.

Cummins had some Turbo trouble,but as far as I know it was COVERED and the new ones have been troublefree. We've had 6,out of the lot we had ONE software issue and ONE ERG tube failure. Outside of that we've experienced no problems.I've operated a few of the Detroit powered rigs in the area and in MY opinion they are NOISY slugs. Everybody has different experiences,but have you noticed NO ONE had Turbo trouble UNTIL they went to the variable Turbo's? Ford's been thru a slug of 'em,International,Cummins and the rest. I never had any power problem with the OLD fixed displacement versions. A hell of a lot more reliable they were. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 05-16-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Forum Member

Funny you mention the noise of the Detroits. Our ISMs seem a lot noisier than our Detroits. I will have to admit that when the clutch fan kicks on with the DD60 they are LOUD, which means out here in the summer it seems to be engaged 75% of the time since the DD60 seems to like running hot compared to the ISM. One thing i would like to drive is the new ISX. Finally a true big block from Cummins for the fire service. As they say no replacement for displacement!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ivswo View Post
    Well T.C. i would have to agree with the poster regarding the Cummins. We have a total of 4 front line E-ones two 2005 cyclone II with ISM's a 2001 HP 75 on a Cyclone II and and ISM, and our newest one is a 2007 Cyclone II with..... you guessed it another ISM. ( we also have two reserve e-one hurricanes with 8v92s. One of them is the very first one e-one built) These are not over tweaked motors; they all have ratings of 450 HP and 1450. Every single one of these has had the turbo replaced twice with the exception of the 2007 which has gone through only one so far. The 2007 has 28,000 miles on it, both 2005 rigs have 60,000 and the 2001 HP 75 has 68,000. Not impressed. Not to mention the rig that i drive and maintain has left us dead in the water twice over BS computer/electical/multiplex issues that ended with cummins pointing the finger at E-one and vis versa. What do i like about the our cummins? After several strike teams (On average one of these assignments will put 500-800 miles on the rig depending on where the fire is at in the state) up and down our state, i can confidently pull any freeway grade in this state, and in the process out pull Detroit S60 and Cat C-12/13. (must be them straight cylinders) Everyone runs big blocks out here except Cal Fire's Smeal type I rigs. And this is with a 750 gallon tank and everyone else has 500 gallon tanks. Do i like E-ones? NOT a fan. Electrical issues like no other, and spring issues causing catastrophic failures with no warning on the two 05's. OCFA had the same issue apparently so we are waiting to see if our 2007 will have the same fate. The HP 75 on the other hand has had zero suspension issues and hauls 500 gallons around to boot! and dont get me started on our 2005 E-one brush truck! Now to be fair our 2001 La France with a DD60 ate two sets of injectors, and once they got that worked out, the past 50,000 miles has been trouble free and that thing pulls like a mule. Our other DD60 in front line service so far has been good but it is too early to tell with only 21,000 miles on it.
    Our 2006 E-one Typhoon (The "new" engine) has an ISC 330HP in her. Honestly not our first choice, but the truck itself is one of E-ones Tradition series trucks. Which has restrictions on how much horsepower you can put into your truck. When we first got it there were no problems at all, but 6 months afterwards things started to get shaky. The engine alarm would sound, and we'd notice a drop in HP. When taken to the shop, E-one told us it was a computer issue and it was Cummins issue. Cummins took the truck, and then said it was an E-one Issue.

It went back and fourth like that for awhile, but got fixed. It then proceeded to happen a few more times, we went through 3 computers and now finally seem to have things under control. It hasn't fried this computer for over a year now, so HOPEFULLY the problem is solved. But it has severely shaken my confidence in Cummins engines. Our Detroit's however, both of em run like champs, even the one from 1974. I've been with the Dept for 5 years and neither of those trucks, our 94' E-one Cyclone (500HP), or our 74' Seagrave Ladder (350HP I believe) have had any Engine troubles.

We also have a Cat C13 475HP in our Tanker, and that thing hauls some serious azz.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

ECo38 funny you mention the check engine light. We had that same problem on our 05's but i think it has been finally resolved. You would be driving down the road and all of the sudden the alarm and light would be going off and then five seconds later it would shut off. Never found out what the actual fix or problem was but the problem appears to of been finally resolved for the past 10-15,000. For all i know this could be caused by the tree huggers and their emission crap they choke these motors with.

38,for the purposes of our conversation the ISC isn't a Fire service engine: Yeah,I KNOW there's thousands of them doing FS work but they are a parcel delivery motor. For MY purposes the Cummins Fire service line starts with the L10(now ISM) and extends up thru the ISX.Comparing a ISC to a C13 is like comparing a 2.2 S10 to a 503 CI Silverado.Computer trouble is pretty rare on a Cummins but EXTREMELY frustrating as they tend to be intermittant and HARD to diagnose(because they are intermittant)and ALWAYS perform correctly at the Cummis shop.Cats are GREAT until they break,THEN your backsides(and wallet) are gonna hurt. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 05-17-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Thread Information