Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Question moruning badge cover procedure

Curious question.
    We had a Sheriff deputy shot and killed in the line of duty this past saturday. He was the husband of one of our Captains daughters. This obviously hit close to home as most people knew who he was and everyone wanted to support our captain in his time of need. My question is that one of our cheifs made the comment when a bunch of the firefighters put the mourning baadge cover over our badge patch that badge covers on our uniforms are not correct and that means a firefighter has fallen in which no firefighter has died here. On the piece of black fabric was the officers badge number written on it.

Whats everyones opinion in this matter?

FYI I would have worn a thousand if I had room.

Quote Originally Posted by fjpalombo View Post
    Curious question.
    We had a Sheriff deputy shot and killed in the line of duty this past saturday. He was the husband of one of our Captains daughters. This obviously hit close to home as most people knew who he was and everyone wanted to support our captain in his time of need. My question is that one of our cheifs made the comment when a bunch of the firefighters put the mourning baadge cover over our badge patch that badge covers on our uniforms are not correct and that means a firefighter has fallen in which no firefighter has died here. On the piece of black fabric was the officers badge number written on it.

Whats everyones opinion in this matter?

FYI I would have worn a thousand if I had room.

Your Chief is correct.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

We had a PD LODD in our area recently and both FD and PD wore the badge covers. Then with a FD LODD, again, both PD and FD wore the badge covers. I'm not sure if that's the national standard, but that's how it's done around here.

In a small town where the PD and FD may be much closer and tightly knit than a big city, this is very common.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

My condolences to your brothers and sisters during this time. In our area, if there was a police officer or fire fighter LODD the FD and PD would both wear the mourning bands. Granted this is of course at the Chief's discretion, but I doubt any would say no.

My condolences also......in a smaller dept, I would probably wear the mourning band also.....where I work we don't have a close-knit family that many smaller communities do (I am in a city).....BUT - next year when a Sgt. I used to work with/for goes on the NYS Memorial, I plan on wearing a band in respect.......

Forum Member

How many Police officers in the United States wore mourning bands on their badges when 343 firefighters lost their lives Sept. 11th? I wonder if your chief thought that was wrong.

The black band over the badge should have nothing to do with the fallen member’s job. It’s about honoring the those who gave their lives in service to the community, and celebrating the lives they touched.

Granted it’s his department. He makes the rules, and we don't have to agree with it, but there is strength in numbers. If your crew feels that they should celebrate the life of a fellow public servant then threw the proper channels it should be brought up the chain of command.

To get back to your original question, No there is no standard on wearing of the memorial band over the badge but I did find this hope it helps.

http://policelink.monster.com/traini...-band-protocol
    Last edited by VincentEng2; 05-15-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by VincentEng2 View Post
    How many Police officers in the United States wore mourning bands on their badges when 343 firefighters lost their lives Sept. 11th? I wonder if your chief thought that was wrong.

The black band over the badge should have nothing to do with the fallen member’s job. It’s about honoring the those who gave their lives in service to the community, and celebrating the lives they touched.

Granted it’s his department. He makes the rules, and we don't have to agree with it, but there is strength in numbers. If your crew feels that they should celebrate the life of a fellow public servant then threw the proper channels it should be brought up the chain of command.

To get back to your original question, No there is no standard on wearing of the memorial band over the badge but I did find this hope it helps.

http://policelink.monster.com/traini...-band-protocol

Police Officers died on September 11, 2001 as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Police Officers died on September 11, 2001 as well.
    This is understand the point im getting at is every one was mourning every one who had died. Not the cops mourning the cops, and the firefighters mourning the firefighters.

Thread Information