Thread: Where to start?

Forum Member

Default Where to start?

Yes, I can read all these threads and get information on specific topics other users have but I would just like to get a basic understanding of what I need to do. I am 18, enrolled in an EMT-B class, and have been on our volunteers department for 9 months. Where do I go from here? I want to be on a big city, career department eventually. Thanks all, Tyler

Forum Member

Start looking at Cities and Counties web sites, Google them, and see if they are advertising for firefighters. If so they will have a application widow for taking them.

Look in the hiring section of this web site and it has some places that are NOW or WILL BE taking applications.

Get on their web site, down load several applications, if you do nothing but practice filling them out.

Apply, Apply, Apply for jobs in the area(s) that you wish to live and work.
    A lot of department really don't care what you have taken, certifications wise, as if they hire you, you will be assigned to the fire academy from 16 to 26 weeks depending on the department and will be training and certified to their standards.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

^^ I agree 100%

The best thing you can do is RESEARCH. Find any detail, tidbit, insignificant insight or anything possible about a department you may be or want to be testing with. Learn all about each one for better or worse (everyone has they're weak points.)

I made it a point to look at the union listing site (iafflocals.net)- found departments that had unions and then search the union site or the city/town etc site to see if they're hiring. If they're not, but will be, put it on the calendar. Keep a big binder with an application for each place. As you go through a process keep all the info in there.

The more detailed and put together you will be from the gate will help you down the road. Good luck on this new adventure. Also, if you really want this, and feel it's a calling for you- not just a job- then don't give up hope. It could take years but if you keep pushing ahead you will get where you should be in life.

Forum Member

Ok, so you guys are saying start applying for a big city now, while I don't have much schooling and whatnot?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tyyllleeeerrrrr View Post
    Ok, so you guys are saying start applying for a big city now, while I don't have much schooling and whatnot?

First of all, you haven't indicated where you are located.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic States, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, etc. the major, career departments have hiring list which they hire from. Once hired you attend their training school and receive all your training and are being paid at the same time as you are a recruit member.

Having certifications really don't mean much up here as we will train you if we hire you. A lot of training across the US, isn't alike or standard in a lot of States. Get looking for cities or counties that are accepting applications and start applying.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Ok, well thanks for the help guys. I live near Peoria, IL or about 2 hours south of Chicago

Forum Member

Well I just found out I have the opportunity to take the Firefighter II class at IFSI this fall. Would that help my chances with getting in a department or just be a waste of time and money?

Thanks all, Tyler

MembersZone Subscriber

Tyler, any training will help your chances of getting hired. Firefighter II you will for sure need, and I think should be a must. I too live about 2 hours away from Chicago in a town called Amboy.

Also, your EMT is very important as well. I would suggest going medic if you get the chance afterwards also. The biggest problem I have with testing now, is that I am 19, and most places you have to be 20 to test, and 21 at the time of hire.

I just figured I actually have an advantage, because I can get in as many courses as possible, because some(not all) like it if you have courses, because then they will not have to pay for you to go through them.

Peoria I believe is accepting applications, and you only have to be 18, and all you need is your driver's license. Look up Peoria, IL fire department on google, and then from there it is easy to find the application.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorAFPD View Post
    Tyler, any training will help your chances of getting hired.
    WRONG ANSWER.

Training prior to getting hired is dependent on WHERE you would like to GET hired. As the good Captain said, in most of the mid-atlantic states, as well as many, many major cities in the USA, they could care less if you have every training certification on the roster. I know of guys that got hired in Philadelphia, went through Philadelphia's proby school, and then went on to Washington DC or FDNY, only to have to go through their proby school all over again. You could be a salty 15-year Lieutenant of the busiest Engine Company in FDNY, and go to Philadelphia, and they will make you run through proby school.

I am pretty sure Chicago works the same way.

You need to figure out WHERE you want to get hired, what their training requirements are (if any) and concentrate on that. If you want to work on multiple departments, that's ok too, but again, learn what they require- because if they dont require any training, then yes, it will be a waste of time and money for you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    WRONG ANSWER.

Training prior to getting hired is dependent on WHERE you would like to GET hired. As the good Captain said, in most of the mid-atlantic states, as well as many, many major cities in the USA, they could care less if you have every training certification on the roster. I know of guys that got hired in Philadelphia, went through Philadelphia's proby school, and then went on to Washington DC or FDNY, only to have to go through their proby school all over again. You could be a salty 15-year Lieutenant of the busiest Engine Company in FDNY, and go to Philadelphia, and they will make you run through proby school.

I am pretty sure Chicago works the same way.

You need to figure out WHERE you want to get hired, what their training requirements are (if any) and concentrate on that. If you want to work on multiple departments, that's ok too, but again, learn what they require- because if they dont require any training, then yes, it will be a waste of time and money for you.
    Agreed, they don't care about your way of doing things because they will teach you their way of doing things and if you're hired there, you better get used to that way.
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

Thread Information