Thread: Oklahoma State

Forum Member

Default Oklahoma State

Well it's getting to that time for me where I need to start looking at colleges. Right now I'm on track to graduate from Kirkwood C.C. either in May 2011 or December 2011 (Depending on what they offer for courses) with a degree in Entry-Level Firefighting. And I'll be graduating high school in May 2011. I've been looking pretty closely at OSU and their Fire Protection and Safety Engineering degree program. In talking with a professor down there, they said as long as my college G.P.A. is high enough I'm eligible for a transfer scholarship which waives my out-of-state tuition. My couple questions are:
    Has anyone been through the program?
    What were your likes/dislikes?
    How easy was job placement?
    General information about the campus, city, Oklahoma itself (I've never been there)
    Recommended high school courses?

Thanks all

Forum Member

heard good things, but what do you want to do with the degree once you get it???

Have you thought about a fire protection engineering degree????

Forum Member

Default Fpst

Hello. I recently graduated from this program in December 2007. I can honestly say going to OSU was the best decision I have ever made for so many reasons. You will want to check out the links at the bottom of the page for information about the program and university. Make sure to check out the links along the left hand side for careers, outreach, etc. There is so much you can do with the degree. Job placement has not been hurt by the economy (for the most part). There are numerous internship opportunites throughout school. I did three different internships in three different years. There are alums who go private, while some go public. There are those who are in the private industry and are actively involved as volunteer FFs. I started off in insurance and am now a civilian Inspector/Investigator for a fire department o/s of a major city in the midwest. I had interned with that department as one of my summer internships and they hired me back. Even though I am just a civilian, they paid for my Investigator I, Inspector I/II, FF I/II, Hazmat Ops. I am still trying to test on as a career FF, but have gotten extremely valuable experience in another area of the fire department. You will have no problems at all finding a job in the private sector. Obviously firefighter jobs are harder than ever to land. Your education will help, but it is still ultra competitive. If you hold your FPST degree, you can apply for civilian jobs like me to jump start your career. I know where I live, there are two area cities hiring one FF each so I'm extremely thankful to work for a FD, even as a civilian. There is an expansive network of OSU alums in the fire service and the private industry for job opps. There are three of them(chief, two lieutenants), excluding me on my department. The professors are widely known and are top notch. You will appreciate them more after you graduate than while you are in school. My only dislike was the program is difficult to complete in four years and I hear it is bigger now that it has ever been before in terms of numbers. As far as the area goes, ITS AMAZING. Its not the biggest party school, but the people you will meet are incredible. OSU has one of the best reps in the BIG 12 for friendliness of its people. They treat you very much like family and you will realize that quickly. The bars are a blast and they have the prettiest girls you will ever see in your life. Oklahoma City is progressive as well and there is lots to do. BIG 12 sports put you right in the middle of great football, baseball, basketball, and wrestling. There is also a fraternity within the program called the fire society. It is very much a social club, but does community service events and fire prevention presentations in coordination with the Stillwater F.D.

http://www.fpst.okstate.edu/

http://news.okstate.edu/index.php/future-students

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad you (FireCowboy1), included stuff about the people. With Oklahoma being a ten-twelve hour drive from my hometown, it is definitely a plus knowing that people are relatively accpeting of "different" people. The pretty girls is another huge plus. I've talked to a professor from the program, JD Brown I believe was his name. He told me the versatility of a degree like this. But when you say it is hard to do in 4 years, why is that?

Forum Member

so what are your ideas to do with the degree???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    so what are your ideas to do with the degree???
    Right now it would be come back and work in Iowa as a career FF. With the four-year degree, it makes me eligible for promotion pretty quickly. Also can be considered my "old-man's" plan in the words of one of my teachers. There is also the possibility of working for a sprinkler/alarm company if I would choose to do something like that.

Forum Member

sounds like a great idea, have you looked into becoming a fire protection engineer???

http://www.wpi.edu/academics/Depts/Fire/

http://www.enfp.umd.edu/

Forum Member

I'm looking at OSU for the fact that is about the closest college to me with a degree program in this field. I've also heard many great things about the facilities and staff they have down there.

What about the city of Stillwater itself?

Thread Information