Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by scott554 View Post
    How are you getting the $5.50 per person?
    I have no idea. When the person said it we was in a meeting about the 2010 grants. He is suppose to be in the know. Just looking back at some of our past grants then the math doesnít work out. When he said it I thought he was full of it. I was just seeing if anyone else has heard that before. I know it was news to me.

Talking

I have heard that in figuring an apparatus app, the cost benefit number should be below the $5.00 range per person.
    Don't know if that holds true or not.

I do have a gut feeling that based on our demographics and call numbers that a certain $$ level will get awarded and above that has not. Just based on our experiences, nothing scientific or hard fast rule.

The only ones who know what the computer is looking for is the guy that wrote the program and maybe one or two others high up the food chain.

DFD ,Kurt,& Jam:
    check your e-mails

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Google Bailey Island Maine. The bridge is known as the Cribstone bridge, it connects Orr's Island to Bailey Island on route 24 / known locally as Harpswell Islands Road.
    If you go to google street level you can take a ride across it with the panorama camera.

We're just off the coast from Brunswick Maine

I have plenty of close up photos that show the detail of the construction, If I get a chance later I'll e-mail you some. :-}
    Thanks!! I got the photos. That is some American engineering at its best. Some of the pieces of granite looks like it had sagged over the years and you can still see the drill holes were they blasted it apart to get the slabs. Looked at it from Google Earth and it looks like you are right in the heart of lobster country. Does everybody have a boat there?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Thanks!! I got the photos. That is some American engineering at its best. Some of the pieces of granite looks like it had sagged over the years and you can still see the drill holes were they blasted it apart to get the slabs. Looked at it from Google Earth and it looks like you are right in the heart of lobster country. Does everybody have a boat there?
    Our town is one of the largest exporters of the bugs in the nation. In the top 3 every year in tonnage.
    Thats part of our critical infrastructure argument in our grant apps. The effect of the economy on marketing our primary export product.
    Boat price is a very small percentage of what you pay for a lobster dinner at a restaurant.
    The bugs change hands at least 4 or 5 times before they get to your dinner plate and all the middlemen make more per pound than the fishermen.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Where's the photo? I want to google earth your location anyway Ed.
    The photos is in my log in caption. You have to go to preferences and turn that feature on

Forum Member

Heck, that bridge looks brand new. LOL. It is different I will say that.

I take it that it will 'not' be torn down and be placed on the Historical registry, and that maintaining it will not be part of the 11 million.

MembersZone Subscriber

$5 or $5.50 per cap is still gonna make it hard to get a quality quick attack truck that will last another 30 years.
    Be nice to know if this figure is truly the magic figure so we have a starting point.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    I have no idea. When the person said it we was in a meeting about the 2010 grants. He is suppose to be in the know. Just looking back at some of our past grants then the math doesn’t work out. When he said it I thought he was full of it. I was just seeing if anyone else has heard that before. I know it was news to me.
    Kenneth, and rands too;

I have been writing for another department whose former chief is president of our mutual aid association. He had submitted AFG applications for years and was never awarded. I have been through all submissions and understand why. They did however get an award for a $125,000 refurbished pumper/tanker that when reading the application seemed incredible that it got awarded. He then told me that when attending a meeting down at the nuclear plant, he had relayed his lack of success at getting a vehicle awarded to the FEMA and NRC representatives who promised that they would look into it. Next thing he knows he gets his vehicle award.

I have seen his narrative. About 10 sentences in one paragraph. Max. I cannot explain how it got awarded other than his conversation with the officials who then somehow did influence its being awarded.

I am beginning to believe that there are many other examples of the above if we searched for them.

MembersZone Subscriber

jam24u,

Does Cooper have it's own fire equipment and manpower since it's owned by NPPD ? Maybe include this in your narrative or something atleast mention it. It's in your backyard

June, 2001: Electrical fire burns for more than a quarter of an hour, causes plant to go on “alert”; one reactor recirculation pump shuts down. Potential to affect safety equipment admitted. Backup power to the plant’s emergency response center did not fully kick in, and the plant missed several deadlines including notification of local authorities. (Source: Omaha (NE) World-Herald, Dec. 19th, 2001)

Aug. 8th, 1990: Steam valve failure at Cooper (Source: Greenpeace.)

Thread Information