Forum Member

Default Need DoD certifications... please help!

I am trying to learn as much as I can about contract FF before actually inquiring to the companies who do it. From what I have seen, you need a minimum of Firefighter 1 & 2, Haz-Mat Ops, Airport FF, and DriverPumper Ops (or whatever the specific certs are called). Here's the thing - I don't have any clue as to how to go about getting these, or if the experience that I DO have will translate at all into a certification. I am an active FDNY firefighter with 7 years experience, 5 of those years in a CPC - Chemical Protective Clothing company, where we receive regular HazMat training and extensive training in level A HazMat suits - those moon suits you see in the movies. Would any of that be equivalent to at least FF 1 & 2, or would I need to take actual DoD training. If I DO need that training, or just to get the certs, WHERE would I begin my search....

ANY help at all would really be appreciated!

Thx much!

10-75

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tenseventyfive View Post
    I am trying to learn as much as I can about contract FF before actually inquiring to the companies who do it. From what I have seen, you need a minimum of Firefighter 1 & 2, Haz-Mat Ops, Airport FF, and DriverPumper Ops (or whatever the specific certs are called). Here's the thing - I don't have any clue as to how to go about getting these, or if the experience that I DO have will translate at all into a certification. I am an active FDNY firefighter with 7 years experience, 5 of those years in a CPC - Chemical Protective Clothing company, where we receive regular HazMat training and extensive training in level A HazMat suits - those moon suits you see in the movies. Would any of that be equivalent to at least FF 1 & 2, or would I need to take actual DoD training. If I DO need that training, or just to get the certs, WHERE would I begin my search....

ANY help at all would really be appreciated!

Thx much!

10-75

If your an active FDNY firefighter, then you need to just cut the contractors out of your mind. O'bama is cutting contract jobs. He already has at some bases over seas. Id hate to see you leave a full time job at a big city to get to sand box as a contractor and get fired 3 months later cause they canceled the contract like my buddy had happen to him.

The government canceled the contract. The contractor got the lump sum for the contract. The firefighters got a ride home and walking papers.

Just my 2 cents.

Forum Member

Nono - dont misunderstand me - I'm not looking to LEAVE the FDNY - but there are ways to get off for extended periods of time, 3-6 months, a full year, what have you. I'm thinking more like that - I saw a Qatar based contract for 3 months, for example. My concern at this point is less how do I get a contract, than 1) Does my training qualify me to be certified on any DoD level, and 2) how do I go about getting other DoD certs like ARFF and HazMat, if need be.

Anyone know.....

Forum Member

Silly question here......Just being the Devil's advocate....

What happens if, lets say...You do take a year leave from FDNY, go over to the sandbox as a contract FF, and you are involved in an accident or mishap of some kind, and are badly hurt, to the point that you are physically incapable of working any longer? Have you read any of the horror stories about how some of these contractors treat their people that are capable of work, we wont even get into the whole "Medically Discharged- Permanent IOD" status???????? This will, of course, screw your FDNY career.

Do yourself a favor. Stay FDNY. But if you ARE hell-bent on doing this, you do have to convert all of your certs to IFSAC/Pro-Board certs which are accepted by the DoD.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information