Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default I have shin splints but will begin work on monday

I recently developed some pretty bad shin splints this past wednesday or so. I've been resting them and icing them nightly, but they only seem to be getting slightly better. The bigger problem is I'll be starting work with the forest service on an engine as a wildland firefighter (fresh rookie), and there are PT workouts that we do several times a week that involve running. I start work on Monday, so I'm literally down to one day.

Any suggestions on what to do about this? What should I tell my captain? How lenient are these guys usually about these types of situations? i'm willing to do other types of workouts in lieu of this but I really need to rest these shins for probably at least another week before I'll be able to run again.

Quote Originally Posted by ygarrard View Post
    I recently developed some pretty bad shin splints this past wednesday or so. I've been resting them and icing them nightly, but they only seem to be getting slightly better. The bigger problem is I'll be starting work with the forest service on an engine as a wildland firefighter (fresh rookie), and there are PT workouts that we do several times a week that involve running. I start work on Monday, so I'm literally down to one day.

Any suggestions on what to do about this? What should I tell my captain? How lenient are these guys usually about these types of situations? i'm willing to do other types of workouts in lieu of this but I really need to rest these shins for probably at least another week before I'll be able to run again.
    I think I'd develop those shinsplints during or after the PT workout.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ygarrard View Post
    I recently developed some pretty bad shin splints this past wednesday or so.
    What changed on Wednesday?
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Have you gotten new shoes? I started getting (minor) shin splints late in my academy, and with what I know now I think it was because my stupid shoes were worn out.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

I havent gotten new shoes yet. The main culprit I think was when I went hiking to break in my new boots. I think I took i t a little too hard, too fast, and that abrupt change caused them. I will definitely be getting new shoes soon though.

So ChiefKN, that's not a bad idea, I might actually do that. Otherwise I'll look like the whiny new guy trying to get out of doing PT.

Go get ortotics, not the BS ones from walmart, get custom made ones! Also, stretch your calf muscles. Shin Splints are from micro tears in this muscle, so nice easy stretches....don't bounce. Also, get a shoe from New Blance. Running shoe, not anything else, a running shoe with motion control. When you get the orthotics, find out how your foot is made up.....flat, high inset, etc etc. and get the shoe that will work for your foot.

I had bad shin splits too. And I suffered in my academy. But once I changed my shoe and got orthotics, it got much much better. I had to spend almost $300 for everything though, and was left with $5 in my bank account when I did it way back when....but it was well worth it.

To this day, I have a set of orthotics in my runnning shoes and my buncker boots....best move ever.
    IACOJ Member

And back then, shoes were made of wood and the flesh of your enemies!

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Go get ortotics, not the BS ones from walmart, get custom made ones! Also, stretch your calf muscles. Shin Splints are from micro tears in this muscle, so nice easy stretches....don't bounce. Also, get a shoe from New Blance. Running shoe, not anything else, a running shoe with motion control. When you get the orthotics, find out how your foot is made up.....flat, high inset, etc etc. and get the shoe that will work for your foot.

I had bad shin splits too. And I suffered in my academy. But once I changed my shoe and got orthotics, it got much much better. I had to spend almost $300 for everything though, and was left with $5 in my bank account when I did it way back when....but it was well worth it.

To this day, I have a set of orthotics in my runnning shoes and my buncker boots....best move ever.
    OH yea, I have almost custom orthotics in all my shoes.

They also help to keep your feet warm in the winter by putting a little buffer between your foot and the cold hard ground.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

I have been working with a herniated disk in my back for the past three weeks. Get surgery this week so I am finaly taking this week off. And went through a swiftwater tech refresher the week prior. Shin splints; no offense but man up cowboy.

I have found that sitting in a hot bath and stretching helps me alot.. But since I took up cycling I have had no more problems with my legs, knees or back, 30-50 miles 2-3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    I have been working with a herniated disk in my back for the past three weeks. Get surgery this week so I am finaly taking this week off. And went through a swiftwater tech refresher the week prior. Shin splints; no offense but man up cowboy.
    Man....don't turn this into a pi--ing contest, please. The guy's just asking for a solution to his problem, not a "how tough are you?" contest.

Anyways.....I'd look into the orthotics. Might be your best bet. I also agree with the stretching....slow and low, don't bounce or make jerky moves.

Pete

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I've definitely been stretching a lot, as well as doing toe taps, and other small exercises to strengthen my shin muscles.

Hopefully this problem resolves itself before the fire season gets going.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    2 completely different types of pain.

Ive had both.

@OP, just get those muscles trained buddy, you will be right in no time!

MembersZone Subscriber

Asics also has an excellant running shoe. Get the Kayano 15 or 16. Each is about $140.00, but well worth it...and I hate running!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    Man....don't turn this into a pi--ing contest,
    I doubt he ****es out of his spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Itshotinhere View Post
    I have found that sitting in a hot bath and stretching helps me alot.. But since I took up cycling I have had no more problems with my legs, knees or back, 30-50 miles 2-3 times a week.
    Don't forget the Mr. Bubble!

Thread Information