Thread: Need Help

Forum Member

Default Need Help

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but I hope someone can help advise me in a direction.

Right now I'm in college for a A.S. degree in Fire Science. I will soon be taking classes for FF1 and FF2 classes. I'll soon take some sort of EMT or Paramedic course. Right now it sounds like I have everything down. However I'm not so sure this is a great idea.

First off, many have said that the Fire Science degree is the equivelent of a Fire Officer 1 course. Which means I can get hired on as a Fire Inspecter, but with limited experience I doubt that could be possible. The college that I'm at allows for a B.A. in Fire Science.

The decision I need to make is. Should I continue with the A.S. degree or just get my FF1 and 2, and find a job? Or should I get my F1 and F2, then continue on to the B.A.?

A troubling issue that is happening with the department I am at.. which is a county wide department (Walton County Fire Rescue.) Is money issue, hiring has been cut off and there is word of cutting people. I'm hoping by the time I get my degrees than troubles will be over and hiring will resume.

Thank you for your time,
    Matthew T.
    WCFR

Forum Member

how old are you?

are you stuck on wanting to work for one department??

what state are you in??

I would suggest you get hired and continue your schooling after that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mattius816 View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but I hope someone can help advise me in a direction.

Right now I'm in college for a A.S. degree in Fire Science. I will soon be taking classes for FF1 and FF2 classes. I'll soon take some sort of EMT or Paramedic course. Right now it sounds like I have everything down. However I'm not so sure this is a great idea.

First off, many have said that the Fire Science degree is the equivelent of a Fire Officer 1 course. Which means I can get hired on as a Fire Inspecter, but with limited experience I doubt that could be possible. The college that I'm at allows for a B.A. in Fire Science.

The decision I need to make is. Should I continue with the A.S. degree or just get my FF1 and 2, and find a job? Or should I get my F1 and F2, then continue on to the B.A.?

A troubling issue that is happening with the department I am at.. which is a county wide department (Walton County Fire Rescue.) Is money issue, hiring has been cut off and there is word of cutting people. I'm hoping by the time I get my degrees than troubles will be over and hiring will resume.

Thank you for your time,
    Matthew T.
    WCFR
    You get hired, you will be a rookie until you get 5 years under you belt. After that worry about being an Inspector!

Work your self up and not try to strt in the middle or somewhere. The degress don't mean anything up this way. You are a new hire by passing all the test and hurdles.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

also some states or cities will pay for some or all of college courses, so another reason to get a job first

Forum Member

Just turned 19, B-Day is today.

I live in Florida, and I wanted to get hired by the County but hiring has been canceled.

Thread Information