Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #26
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Two-man engines. If a fire alarm or structure fire call comes in, take your gear off the engine and jump on the truck and the other two stations will back you with two guys each (if they're not out on another run). We've had to stand outside a burning structure waiting for manpower to make entry. Not fun when people are yelling at you to get in there and do something.

    I just wonder how they are going to vote when they millage comes due in 2013.

  2. #27
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    We had 5 engines and 2 ladders close last January, reducing us to 56 engines/27 ladders - a loss of 148 positions. Last week they announced that 57 vacant positions would go unfilled and were also cut. There is an almost constant pall of rumors about brownouts and/or more cuts. This just addresses the personnel cuts.

    There is no apparatus budget; to say our fleet is aging is an understatement. 1/3 to 1/2 our pumper fleet is 14-15 years old. Then when you consider how often we are in back-up/reserve pieces, it's not uncommon to make a box with the newest piece (non-chief's car) just 17 years old...
    And yesterday our mayor threatened to cut another two companies (and 40 positions) if he doesn't get his way with the budget...
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

  3. #28
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Our woes are nothing like what I am reading in the big cities. I wish you guys luck with dealing the cuts.

    Over a year ago we had to cut out a monthly staff meeting, we have two trucks that need replacing and are nickel and diming us to death. We are looking at writing a grant for a pumper/tender to replace both these trucks that are old and falling apart. Other than that, we have been just getting by.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  4. #29
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u
    I'm sure that FireMech is not from the big 'O' because they have cut their response crews from 4 to 3 and are renegotiating all contracts that were previously set. Fire and Police. Seems the city does not have the ability to pay. Many of us vollies are suffering as well, but our jobs and families are not on the line.
    You better be 1,000% sure before smarting off, and posting BS.

    NONE of our rigs are manned with 3 people, that is an all-n-all FLAT OUT LIE!!!! If we don't 4 people on a truck or engine, manpower is adjusted so there is. If it can't, then it is OOS. Today, May 21, E2 was OOS. Med 2 was in service, until late evening. They went OOS to cover manpower, that lost 2.

    At this time, the OFD is in CIR, and is going to court in a few weeks. So no, there isn't any renegotiating of any contract at this time.

    The city council just kicked out what the Mayor and Police agreed on, on the last city council vote on their contract. They are back to the bargaining table.

    @ jam24u, unless you live here, or nearby, and know what's going on, and have the right info, STFU. No I didn't have a bad day, I just read a BAD POST!!!!

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  5. #30
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,590

    Talking

    Someone pass the Popcorn and cokes: This just might get interesting!

  6. #31
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03
    Someone pass the Popcorn and cokes: This just might get interesting!
    I like alot of butter, and alot of salt on my popcorn. Coke is good, but Mountain Dew is the choice.

    I'm all giddy, waiting for a reply.

    FM1

    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  7. #32
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    In before the...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  8. #33
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,686

    Default

    This year, $2k cut from a $20k budget.

    Been at the $20k amount for 6 years prior to this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  9. #34
    Forum Member
    Tony4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St.Louis,MO
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Being the only full staffed all Volley department in our county ( the other 60 or so departments are all paid ), we have no lay offs ( always had a tiny tiny tiny budget at best ). I've seen others cut back on stuff and people, but nothing major, yet. Politicians will keep raising their pay and giving each other bonuses while cutting public emergency services left and right. That is why I'm not even attempting to go career, yet.

  10. #35
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    You better be 1,000% sure before smarting off, and posting BS.

    NONE of our rigs are manned with 3 people, that is an all-n-all FLAT OUT LIE!!!! If we don't 4 people on a truck or engine, manpower is adjusted so there is. If it can't, then it is OOS. Today, May 21, E2 was OOS. Med 2 was in service, until late evening. They went OOS to cover manpower, that lost 2.

    At this time, the OFD is in CIR, and is going to court in a few weeks. So no, there isn't any renegotiating of any contract at this time.

    The city council just kicked out what the Mayor and Police agreed on, on the last city council vote on their contract. They are back to the bargaining table.

    @ jam24u, unless you live here, or nearby, and know what's going on, and have the right info, STFU. No I didn't have a bad day, I just read a BAD POST!!!!

    FM1
    Then what is all the hoopla going on in Omaha concerning the firefighter retirement contracts and the outrage of cutting one man from the response crews? Was not the norm to have a four man team per apparatus and since reduced to three? If it hasn't taken place yet it was certainly proposed.

    Certain talk radio hosts were going over how the retirees were somehow able to quadruple their retirement benefits by a controversial formula from an extra two weeks or so of overtime. The O is broke or so Suttle is saying and who is even trying to enforce parking fees to help with its deficet.

    Sorry if you got upset from misenterpreting post. I thought you were not from the Omaha area as there as been so much media notoriety on the issues I have mentioned above and since as a news story it would dwarf the termination of a single job. Please understand, I am not trying to provoke you. My postings were done in response to the thread are based on the TV and radio show news reports. I guess I can search and ccp them into here, but would welcome an elaboration or discredidation of my facts. As I am not an Omaha FF, but a 21 year volunteer I think you can agree that the basis of my posts could hardly have been an exageration.

    And please do not mistake what I didn't say, I was not smarting off, but if your an eight year veteran can you please help lend some insider weight to those items I just mentioned about the current problems between the city and the fire union?

  11. #36
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u
    Then what is all the hoopla going on in Omaha concerning the firefighter retirement contracts and the outrage of cutting one man from the response crews? Was not the norm to have a four man team per apparatus and since reduced to three? If it hasn't taken place yet it was certainly proposed.
    The City Council took opposition to a City Ordinance that required 4 FF's to a Truck and Engine. They tried to go through a special session to eliminate that ordinance, and lost. So as it stands, 4 FF's are required per rig.

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u
    Certain talk radio hosts were going over how the retirees were somehow able to quadruple their retirement benefits by a controversial formula from an extra two weeks or so of overtime. The O is broke or so Suttle is saying and who is even trying to enforce parking fees to help with its deficet.
    Quadruple???? Don't listen to talk radio, it warps the mind and facts.
    Fact: About 6 years ago (maybe 7), the City Council asked the FD if they could help out with the financial situation at that time. This was to save the City money, by letting the FF's comp their overtime, and they raised the cap, so they could. Problem then was, they allowed the FF's to put that comp time into their retirement program. Problem today, is that the city now has to pay, for what the City Council back then offered, and the FF's took full advantage of. They also took a pay freeze for I believe 2 years, out of a 3 year contract.

    Suttle has wasted more money, and looking to spend more money on BS. He eliminated 125 part time jobs for seasonal work (that backfired when we had 2 blizzards back to back this past winter), to justify spending an additional $175,000 for people (same position and status as the previous admin.) in his cabinet, that haven't done a thing to curb expenditures. And now, he is looking into, very seriously, about adding street cars to the downtown area. Something that is not needed, or wanted by the masses. Fahey, before him, also screwed us with a new ballpark, that the masses didn't want. The list goes on......

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u
    Sorry if you got upset from misenterpreting post. I thought you were not from the Omaha area as there as been so much media notoriety on the issues I have mentioned above and since as a news story it would dwarf the termination of a single job. Please understand, I am not trying to provoke you. My postings were done in response to the thread are based on the TV and radio show news reports. I guess I can search and ccp them into here, but would welcome an elaboration or discredidation of my facts. As I am not an Omaha FF, but a 21 year volunteer I think you can agree that the basis of my posts could hardly have been an exageration.
    I didn't misinterpret anything. You suggested I wasn't from the Big 'O', and said, as fact, that the FD cut crews from 4 to 3. That again, is BS. And so you know, and have found out, I will defend the FD when someone posts BS. They are taking a beating enough from the media and City Council.

    The FD only takes in $5.00 per every $100,000 in real estate value. That's pretty cheap.


    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u
    And please do not mistake what I didn't say, I was not smarting off, but if your an eight year veteran can you please help lend some insider weight to those items I just mentioned about the current problems between the city and the fire union?
    First off, in red, where did you get, or think, that I am an 8 year veteran of the FD??? You're not even close. I didn't mistake you for what you didn't say, nor think that you were smarting off. I read you like a book as being fully uneducated as to what is really going on, and clueless of what was done in the past.

    BTW... Where EXACTLY are you located??

    FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 05-25-2010 at 03:13 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  12. #37
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    double post... deleted. sorry.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  13. #38
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    When most of the world had a recession, we decided not to play. 2 new stations opening this year, 1 a replacement, 1 a brand new station in a new area. 90 recruits this year, approx 60 replacing vacancies, approx 30 new hires. As far as I can find out, never have had a layoff or cut backs in dept history.

  14. #39
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    double post... deleted. sorry.
    Actually I am in Nemaha County. About 76 miles south of you. About 3 miles from the states largest nuclear plant. However I was not born and raised here. I am actually a degreed former business owner from a large coastal city. When I saw your user-name I thought your were the poster from McCook. Your user-names were so similar and that is why I said "from the big O."

    Not living in Omaha, but aware of a flood of controversy there between the city and the firefighters union, I was dead on when it came to the spirit of the thread. I requested if you would fill in on the details and I am thankful that you did. It in fact expands on and validates my posting. In the latest issue of Fire Rescue magazine there is a related article about similar problems that departments are currently dealing with. (I mentioned this in an earlier post) that the relationship from a cites fire departments and the public is reaching a crisis point to such a degree that citizens are actually spitting on firefighters. If that is happening it is not just media slander, but that there is an issue that between the city and its public safety providers that has gone horribly out of control.

    I really appreciate your setting the record straight about the issues I mentioned above. I did a quick check on one talk radio DJ (Becka) topics list and he had over 30 fire department topics in just over 80 days. That is a lot of notoriety.

  15. #40
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Oh! BTW, The previous (VincentEng) poster before yours was the 8 year veteran.

    Got that mixed up with you. My bad.

  16. #41
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Not quite on the scale as the above hardships, but.......

    Having to payback $25,000 on a $80,000 budget because some bean counter at the capitol decided to accept an "error" made by a local industry on their taxes. My problem was we never saw a $25,000 increase in our income but we still had to payback $25,000.

  17. #42
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Not quite on the scale as the above hardships, but.......

    Having to payback $25,000 on a $80,000 budget because some bean counter at the capitol decided to accept an "error" made by a local industry on their taxes. My problem was we never saw a $25,000 increase in our income but we still had to payback $25,000.
    You gotta be freakin' kidding!?!?

    BSFD, that is mega harsh to say the least.

    I hope they at least brought a barrel of KY along with their reasons.

    What can one say, but so sorry for your department.

  18. #43
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    You gotta be freakin' kidding!?!?

    BSFD, that is mega harsh to say the least.

    I hope they at least brought a barrel of KY along with their reasons.

    What can one say, but so sorry for your department.
    Yep it really sucked. And what sucked even more was that they didn't even warn us. We found out when we received our tax check. You talk about having to scramble.

  19. #44
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u

    In the latest issue of Fire Rescue magazine there is a related article about similar problems that departments are currently dealing with. (I mentioned this in an earlier post) that the relationship from a cites fire departments and the public is reaching a crisis point to such a degree that citizens are actually spitting on firefighters. If that is happening it is not just media slander, but that there is an issue that between the city and its public safety providers that has gone horribly out of control.

    I really appreciate your setting the record straight about the issues I mentioned above. I did a quick check on one talk radio DJ (Becka) topics list and he had over 30 fire department topics in just over 80 days. That is a lot of notoriety.
    I don't read the magazine, so I don't know what is there. But any negative perception between the public and the FD here, is non-existent. The FD has great support from the citizens of Omaha.

    Becka has his own agenda, and is his own worst enemy. Anything taken from him, should be taken with a grain of salt, to an open wound. The guy is a self proclaimed idiot.

    In good spirit, this the last that I will say about the situation.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  20. #45
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Post This Just In............

    Our County Council has just approved the FY 11 Budget. We have been advised that the Fire department will have enough additional funding in the budget to do several things:

    Career Budget - Added enough Funds for Compensation to avoid Unpaid "Furlough Days" in FY 11 - Added Funds for 30 New Hires - Added Capital Outlay Money for Equipment. Total added Money - $ 3 million
    Total Career Budget - 117 Million

    Volunteer Budget - Added Funding to Operating Budget - 250K and 100K for Vol. Recruitment and Retention.
    Total Volunteer Budget - 12.3 Million


    We're now Back "Up" to about 2004 Levels...... New Apparatus Purchases are Mostly being made by the Volunteers with Fund from Non Tax sources (Read Aggressive Fundraising work). A couple of things to work on include getting Career Staffing back to the Authorized Strenght of about 740 from the current (Estimated) 620, and moving to correct a purchasing misstep by the previous administration wherein they Bought 70 Ambulances at one time. We're looking to return to staggered purchases of about 7-8 per year so they don't all end up dead at the same time. At one point, the Volunteers had given up purchasing Ambulances, with only 3 Vol Owned unit in the County. Now we're back up to approximately 20, and several stations have their own reserves as well. Things are looking up............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register