Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forum Member

Not quite on the scale as the above hardships, but.......

Having to payback $25,000 on a $80,000 budget because some bean counter at the capitol decided to accept an "error" made by a local industry on their taxes. My problem was we never saw a $25,000 increase in our income but we still had to payback $25,000.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Not quite on the scale as the above hardships, but.......

Having to payback $25,000 on a $80,000 budget because some bean counter at the capitol decided to accept an "error" made by a local industry on their taxes. My problem was we never saw a $25,000 increase in our income but we still had to payback $25,000.
    You gotta be freakin' kidding!?!?

BSFD, that is mega harsh to say the least.

I hope they at least brought a barrel of KY along with their reasons.

What can one say, but so sorry for your department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    You gotta be freakin' kidding!?!?

BSFD, that is mega harsh to say the least.

I hope they at least brought a barrel of KY along with their reasons.

What can one say, but so sorry for your department.
    Yep it really sucked. And what sucked even more was that they didn't even warn us. We found out when we received our tax check. You talk about having to scramble.

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u

In the latest issue of Fire Rescue magazine there is a related article about similar problems that departments are currently dealing with. (I mentioned this in an earlier post) that the relationship from a cites fire departments and the public is reaching a crisis point to such a degree that citizens are actually spitting on firefighters. If that is happening it is not just media slander, but that there is an issue that between the city and its public safety providers that has gone horribly out of control.

I really appreciate your setting the record straight about the issues I mentioned above. I did a quick check on one talk radio DJ (Becka) topics list and he had over 30 fire department topics in just over 80 days. That is a lot of notoriety.
    I don't read the magazine, so I don't know what is there. But any negative perception between the public and the FD here, is non-existent. The FD has great support from the citizens of Omaha.

Becka has his own agenda, and is his own worst enemy. Anything taken from him, should be taken with a grain of salt, to an open wound. The guy is a self proclaimed idiot.

In good spirit, this the last that I will say about the situation.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post This Just In............

Our County Council has just approved the FY 11 Budget. We have been advised that the Fire department will have enough additional funding in the budget to do several things:

Career Budget - Added enough Funds for Compensation to avoid Unpaid "Furlough Days" in FY 11 - Added Funds for 30 New Hires - Added Capital Outlay Money for Equipment. Total added Money - $ 3 million
    Total Career Budget - 117 Million

Volunteer Budget - Added Funding to Operating Budget - 250K and 100K for Vol. Recruitment and Retention.
    Total Volunteer Budget - 12.3 Million

We're now Back "Up" to about 2004 Levels...... New Apparatus Purchases are Mostly being made by the Volunteers with Fund from Non Tax sources (Read Aggressive Fundraising work). A couple of things to work on include getting Career Staffing back to the Authorized Strenght of about 740 from the current (Estimated) 620, and moving to correct a purchasing misstep by the previous administration wherein they Bought 70 Ambulances at one time. We're looking to return to staggered purchases of about 7-8 per year so they don't all end up dead at the same time. At one point, the Volunteers had given up purchasing Ambulances, with only 3 Vol Owned unit in the County. Now we're back up to approximately 20, and several stations have their own reserves as well. Things are looking up............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information