Forum Member

Default Pursuing another fire department--need help

I am in a difficult situation and need some insight!

I currently work for a small department that does not share the same values that I do. I have only been working here for 9 months and I am still a probationary employee. As it was explained to me I can be fired for any reason.

In the last 3 months I have applied to a few departments, one being my dream department. I got a call recently after taking the written and physical test which I scored very well. The department wants to schedule an interview with my current shift captain.

I have not told my current employer anything. For one reason, these hiring processes are very competitive and I may not even get an offer for a very long time. This is a very sticky situation. If I tell my captain and don't get the job... I may be in poor standing with my current dept.

Is this common? I am not sure what to do... How do you tell your fire department to be prepared for another department wanting to interview them?

Forum Member

I would contact the HR people over at the prospective employer, and carefully explain that though you have nothing to hide, you do worry about your current employers reaction to, and subsequent treatment of you if the prospective employer were to contact them. See what the prospective employer has to say about it. If they are hellbent on contacting your current employer, see if there is any way that the interview could be witnessed by a Union Representative, or recorded by some kind of audio media?

Then, afterwards, start to keep a paper trail of things that happen to you at the current job- any kind of retribution, ill treatment, punishments, discipline, etc etc etc......If it keeps up, you could very well file an unfair labor practice or hostile work environment claim. But you need that paper trail to back up your claim.

I think the best bet would be to start by contacting the prospective employer and explaining the situation.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This is very good advice. I never thought about recording the interview.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEeyore View Post
    This is very good advice. I never thought about recording the interview.

Be careful recording anything. Some HR and employers look at recording as a direct threat and since you are a proby, you are on the loosing end of the nasty stick.

You seem to have a bad work history at the department you are now, that is why you have applied elsewhere. grow a set bud and more on. Take the job as it is and don't make ripple in the sea of poop. I had guys like you before and they went on down the road, after failing their proby final exam.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Be careful recording anything. Some HR and employers look at recording as a direct threat and since you are a proby, you are on the loosing end of the nasty stick.

You seem to have a bad work history at the department you are now, that is why you have applied elsewhere. grow a set bud and more on. Take the job as it is and don't make ripple in the sea of poop. I had guys like you before and they went on down the road, after failing their proby final exam.
    Well, sorry if I was misleading. I have already passed all of my exams. I truely do not have anything to hide. I also would fault any person who looks down upon someone advancing into a new position for better pay, working conditions, ethics and location. I have done an excellent job where I work. And , ill continue to do a great job with or without a job offer. It sounds to me like you have a grudge.

Forum Member

Well, sorry if I was misleading. I have already passed all of my exams. I truely do not have anything to hide. I also would fault any person who looks down upon someone advancing into a new position for better pay, working conditions, ethics and location. I have done an excellent job where I work. And , ill continue to do a great job with or without a job offer. It sounds to me like you have a grudge.

Grudge? No gruge skippy.

You posted this in your original post saying:

'I currently work for a small department that does not share the same values that I do. I have only been working here for 9 months and I am still a probationary employee. As it was explained to me I can be fired for any reason.

In the last 3 months I have applied to a few departments, one being my dream department. I got a call recently after taking the written and physical test which I scored very well. The department wants to schedule an interview with my current shift captain.

I have not told my current employer anything. For one reason, these hiring processes are very competitive and I may not even get an offer for a very long time. This is a very sticky situation. If I tell my captain and don't get the job... I may be in poor standing with my current dept."

FROM THAT STATEMENT I SEE SOMEONE WHO IS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE CURRENT DEPARTMENT AND THIER OFFICERS.

Most probationary periods are for one year and yes you can be terminated for any cause with no recourse.

I've had guys who had been in companies that I was an Officer in who had applied elsewhere. If I was contacted for info the only thing I could give was what kind of employee the member was while assigned to the company. No more or less. If the member didn't want to work for us, so be it, let them go elsewhere. Most would try to come back but FD policy would not allow it.

Good luck wherever you do go.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Grudge? No gruge skippy.

You posted this in your original post saying:

'I currently work for a small department that does not share the same values that I do. I have only been working here for 9 months and I am still a probationary employee. As it was explained to me I can be fired for any reason.

I have not told my current employer anything. For one reason, these hiring processes are very competitive and I may not even get an offer for a very long time. This is a very sticky situation. If I tell my captain and don't get the job... I may be in poor standing with my current dept."

FROM THAT STATEMENT I SEE SOMEONE WHO IS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE CURRENT DEPARTMENT AND THIER OFFICERS.

Most probationary periods are for one year and yes you can be terminated for any cause with no recourse.

I've had guys who had been in companies that I was an Officer in who had applied elsewhere. If I was contacted for info the only thing I could give was what kind of employee the member was while assigned to the company. No more or less. If the member didn't want to work for us, so be it, let them go elsewhere. Most would try to come back but FD policy would not allow it.

Good luck wherever you do go.
    I understand. And thanks for the advice. This situation is very uncomfortable and I am trying to be tactful about it. I would list the reasons why I am leaving... But it isn't relevant. I am more focused on doing the right thing. And, there is always a chance that I will be here for much longer than I might expect---which is fine!

Forum Member

sorry sounds like you messed up already

My advice to new people is put in the probationary period before you even think about applying anywhere else

we had a person do that and he was fired on the spot, just like you can be with out NO explanation

good luck

the new department is going to want to do background and talk to someone in your current department, unless they hold off till you or off probation, which I doubt they will, then possible problem

Also, If I am a department looking to hire you , I might question loyalty, or if you are a job jumper

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are my two cents...

While its not uncommon for rookies to leave during their probationary period. Many are fired, some decide its not for them, and some may find the "dream job". Keep in mind some of these guys only accepted their current postion by settling with hopes that in the future their dream department may extend an offer. I believe that is the current case here. However, lets also let's not forget, probation is just that....it may not for out for the employer or EMPLOYEE. So ultimately its your choice. Heres the thing though, I see the old guys point, either buck up do the job and be quiet until you've put your time in or....leave. But don't drag your current job or company officers into your new prospective job's hiring process. You might not like the results, 9 mos. is not a lot of time, and your captain may burn you down if you've been marginal.

So, NO, its not common to have a current company officer come in and be part of your prospective departments hiring process. I see where they are going by wanting to know more about you and your work ethic, but you have to look out for you. If you bring him in, you might have a bad interview or reccomendation then your out of the running there, BUT you still have to go back to your current department, and that my friend is whats called burning bridges. The moment you come back to stay, things might get a little rough for you.

No they dont need a reason to fire you when your probationary. No paper trail or lawyer can save you...its well known that if they want to get rid of you in your first year they can, period. I promise if you brought a recorder into my interview, we would never get started, so scratch that idea all together. The best option for you here, is remain on the down low with your current department about leaving or "looking". I would be honest with your prospective department, and respectfully decline to bring in your officer in, explain your situation, and move on. You may however ask for letters of reccomendation in lieu of an interview, but that is still a sticky situation regardless. Ultimately its a gamble, the safe bet is to finish out your probabtion, then, start looking. Things almost always get better once your done with your rookie year. Good luck.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Forum Member

IIs this common? I am not sure what to do... How do you tell your fire department to be prepared for another department wanting to interview them?
    Happens more than you know.

Contact HR ask is they could hold off the interview until the last stage of the hiring process before a job offer.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Very good advice from everyone.

Thanks

Forum Member

unless you are lucky enough to have a really good rapport with your present LT or Capt. I would't bother.I have and did take the chance.For me, its paid off.Just show your dedication to the job, period.Then the rest should take care of itself.If your reasons for moving departments are genuine, e.g to be closer to family, partner work move, or for a better quality of life then why not? As long as you show your dedication to the job

Thread Information