Thread: RV question

Forum Member

Question RV question

Has anyone ever done an extrication on an RV?-any size. We might be getting one for our drill next month and was wondering what type of challenges we might encounter. What major differences are there from passenger cars - if any?
    "If I'm not back in five minutes.. wait longer."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sq51kmg365 View Post
    Has anyone ever done an extrication on an RV?-any size. We might be getting one for our drill next month and was wondering what type of challenges we might encounter. What major differences are there from passenger cars - if any?
    Be more fun tearing a Beetle apart. Aside from size,they're made up of plastics,fibreglass,1x1 wood(ok MAYBE 1.5x1.5)sheet metal/aluminum and such. Biggest problem is finding something rugged enough to push on. You'll have a ball,but they AREN'T much challenge.UNLESS you get one of the old Greyhound types,that WILL fetch you up for a few minutes. T.C.

Forum Member

Never cut one on an extrication. However I have cut through a 5th wheel style that was on fire. used the cutters edge saw. It worked very well and the chain was still usable. It was just some plywood with tin covering it. Obviously for extrication you wouldn't do that. i would probly use a recp saw

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    Never cut one on an extrication. However I have cut through a 5th wheel style that was on fire. used the cutters edge saw. It worked very well and the chain was still usable. It was just some plywood with tin covering it. Obviously for extrication you wouldn't do that. i would probly use a recp saw
    GOOD choice. A lot of your day to day tools can be used. Get it(the RV) and get CREATIVE. Best way to learn is DO. But they REALLY aren't much challenge. UNLESS you're trying to right a rollover WITHOUT destroying it. That's a TRICK. We've done several. Dig in and enjoy! T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know much about RVs or 5th wheels. What do they usually use to power their "utilities?" Is it propane? If so, would you have to worry about propane lines running through the structure somewhere if you're cutting through a panel?

If you don't have to worry about that, I would assume it would be quite simple being lightweight materials. Biggest problem would probably be bracing the structure so it doesn't collapse on itself when you start cutting in certain areas.

Forum Member

if it is propane just cut the tanks off and disconnect them. then remove them from the rv to a ddistance away. if it is a flammable liquid then my guess would be: pull a line and control the batteries.

Forum Member

We were talking about cars converted to gas and how to turn off the gas in the event of a car crash. Turns out with most of them as soon as you disconnect the battery, the solenoid on the gas hose clamps shut stopping any fire.

Is it the same in RV's considering the propane in those vehicles is separate from the vehicle's propulsion.

Forum Member

We have done some practice extrication on RV's. We rolled one on its side (the same side as the door) and gained access thru the floor for practice. It was pretty impressive. The same technique can be used for school buses and such. A recipricating saw seemed to do the best. You just had to navigate the drive shaft and the cross members of the frame but they were all visible from the outside.

Forum Member

Why the FLOOR? Just as a Schoolbus,MUCH EASIER to go thru the ROOF on a side roll.Speaking only personally,the FLOOR of ANY vehicle would be my LAST resort. The floor is GENERALLY one of the STRONGEST parts of a vehicle T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

The actual construction materials of most, if not all, RVs pose no problem for ordinary tools. Basically a strategic operation to determine where victims are trapped, gain access, and them package and remove. Make certain to mitigate hazards such as fuel tanks, electric, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Why the FLOOR? Just as a Schoolbus,MUCH EASIER to go thru the ROOF on a side roll.Speaking only personally,the FLOOR of ANY vehicle would be my LAST resort. The floor is GENERALLY one of the STRONGEST parts of a vehicle T.C.
    Why the floor? Well, that's simple... If the situation warrants going thru the floor to get the job done, I want myself and my crew to know what they are doing. Anyone can gain access thru a window... but what happens in a pile up with a rollover up against a guardrail and a semi? Sometimes it's better to know how to attack the problem from different angles. You never know what you are going to get dealt, so why not?

Thread Information