MembersZone Subscriber

Default City of Orlando: AMR and Rural Metro?

Hey, anyone have info on what is going with OFD and transport? Are we going to start seeing AMR units in Orlando?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talks of transport are just that, talks. It's status quo right now.
    -Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by mjk1171 View Post
    Hey, anyone have info on what is going with OFD and transport? Are we going to start seeing AMR units in Orlando?
    God I hope not.....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Is A$$holes, Monkeys and Retards taking over from Rural-Metro. I worked for AMR for a year 11 years ago and I had nothing good to say about them then nor do I now. As far as I'm concerned a private company is a private company and the names are interchangeable.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

I have heard horror stories about AMR. Hopefully this does not happen to OFD. Heard they double up rescues and cancel the engines and towers that respond with them to EMS. IF the city already doesn't have a hard on for OFD let the units start getting cancelled on all EMS, I'm completely against this happening especially since OFD is a department I want to work for and if AMR starts transporting they would probably sell the rescues I imagine and not hire anytime soon. SO I vote NO, keep Rural/Metro in the area, they have been serving Orlando right for almost 3 decades now!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm pretty sure its a done deal. Inside source says start Feb 11. already signed. I can't imagine they wouldn't just hire those already working there, be the same guys just a different color truck.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by flfirebuff86 View Post
    I'm pretty sure its a done deal. Inside source says start Feb 11. already signed. I can't imagine they wouldn't just hire those already working there, be the same guys just a different color truck.
    Doubtful.
    No openings in Orlando at all on their website.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Doubtful.
    No openings in Orlando at all on their website.
    Then again, I have been known to be wrong....

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...45&newsLang=en

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--An American Medical Response subsidiary was recently notified by the City of Orlando, Florida, that AMR was ranked the highest bidder and the City intends to enter into an exclusive agreement with AMR to provide 9-1-1 emergency ambulance services. AMR received the City’s notice of intent following a competitive bidding process, which was completed on April 16, 2010. AMR currently provides 9-1-1 and non-emergency ambulance service in nine counties in Florida, with more than 650 employees and 250 vehicles.

“Our proposal also includes bringing in a fleet of brand new ambulances and equipment, so the workforce will have the advantage of the latest tools and technology to deliver high quality care to the community”

“Since that time, there has been some misinformation circulating regarding our proposal to the City of Orlando, especially regarding our intentions for employing the current workforce,” said Doug Hooten, AMR’s local general manager. “Our proposal is a matter of public record, and our intentions are clear: we will recruit and transition all qualified employees of the incumbent ambulance provider and hire all individuals who meet our selection criteria. In addition, we will seek leadership talent among the current local workforce, and will invite current employees to apply for local supervisory positions,” he said.

“Assertions that hundreds of local EMS providers will be unemployed are simply not true,” he continued. “We recognize the wealth of skills and experience that the current employees bring to the city, and we intend to keep that local talent. What’s more, our proposal includes wages that exceed the current wage scales and we offer a comprehensive benefits package.”

“Our proposal also includes bringing in a fleet of brand new ambulances and equipment, so the workforce will have the advantage of the latest tools and technology to deliver high quality care to the community,” he concluded. Hooten noted that AMR is hosting an open house for current employees to discuss employment opportunities and to answer questions. The open house is being held Friday and Saturday, June 4 and 5, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day at the Doubletree Orlando, 5780 Major Blvd., Orlando.
    ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

An American Medical ResponseAmerican Medical Response subsidiary was recently notified by the City of Orlando, Florida, that AMR was ranked the highest bidder and the City intends to enter into an exclusive agreement with AMR to provide 9-1-1 emergency ambulance servicesambulance services. AMR received the City’s notice of intent following a competitive bidding process, which was completed on April 16, 2010. AMR currently provides 9-1-1 and non-emergency ambulance service in nine counties in Floridacounties in Florida, with more than 650 employees and 250 vehicles.

“Since that time, there has been some misinformation circulating regarding our proposal to the City of Orlando, especially regarding our intentions for employing the current workforce,” said Doug Hooten, AMR’s local general manager. “Our proposal is a matter of public record, and our intentions are clear: we will recruit and transition all qualified employees of the incumbent ambulance provider and hire all individuals who meet our selection criteriaselection criteria. In addition, we will seek leadership talent among the current local workforce, and will invite current employees to apply for local supervisory positions,” he said.

“Assertions that hundreds of local EMS providers will be unemployed are simply not true,” he continued. “We recognize the wealth of skills and experience that the current employees bring to the city, and we intend to keep that local talent. What’s more, our proposal includes wages that exceed the current wage scales and we offer a comprehensive benefits package.”

“Our proposal also includes bringing in a fleet of brand new ambulances and equipment, so the workforce will have the advantage of the latest tools and technology to deliver high quality care to the community,” he concluded. Hooten noted that AMR is hosting an open house for current employees to discuss employment opportunities and to answer questions. The open house is being held Friday and Saturday, June 4 and 5, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day at the Doubletree Orlando, 5780 Major Blvd., Orlando.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by VESmedic; 07-10-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    HUH????? sell the rescues? cancel the engines/towers? You obviously have no idea how EMS works in orlando. First of all, why would they "sell" the rescues? OFD's rescues are apart of the truck company at fires, and have a specific function on the fireground, as well as adding general man power to any incident. OFD almost NEVER gets cancelled on ANY call. there is about a minute delay between OFD dispatch, and OFD contacting RMA to respond to the same alarm. Pretty much the ONLY time OFD ever gets cancelled on a medical call, is if RMA arrives first, which doesn't happen often, and generally, RMA doesn't cancel OFD. Not to mention just because metro "cancels" OFD, IT'S THERE CITY, they will respond to whatever they want to, regardless of what metro says. OFD has had rescues for years, regardless of whose transporting, doesn't make a difference to them when it comes to that.
    Woah woah, calm down for a moment, first of all, I never said any of that was factual, I never said anything about OFD getting cancelled, all I simply stated was I had HEARD and READ that AMR has run some city departments into the ground by doing the things I stated, I'm not saying OFD won't stand up to them and hold their own. I know "how EMS works", you have to understand there are a lot of things floating around Orlando right now, probably all hearsay but who knows what will be true. I fully understand how Rescues are used on the fireground, and was not born yesterday. And straight from OFD employees mouths it has been said (not proven factual) that when times were real tough (prior to the SAFER grant) it was something being considered, selling the rescues and downing a tower. And even just recently, it has been stated, by numerous people how the city financial officer is in love with the thought of selling the rescues. I'm not on here to spread incorrect information, which is usually why I start with "Not sure what anyone else has heard..." or "This may be correct or incorrect but..." Anyways, not trying to start a fight but just trying to clear the air. Stay safe brother!

Forum Member

Last edited by Deluge059; 08-10-2011 at 04:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now I'm not a big fan of private EMS.

1.) Lawsuit litigation is capped for government agencies, take a look at EVAC ambulance and what happened there. http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...inst-evac.html

2.) The head honchos at private companies are more worried about the numbers not so much the crews, or the patients. Not saying the rank and file don't as there are many dedicated professionals who work private EMS.

3.) EMS is a public safety entity and should be provided by the government in my humble opinion, Private EMS gets paid way under what they should, and its made up in working long hours. Noone should work a 24 hour shift and run 20 calls, thats dangerous whether you work for a Fire department, Public EMS, or Private EMS. But alot of people have to so they can work a 2nd and sometimes even a 3rd job to make up for the lack of a decent wage!

Now like I said I'm not a big fan of private EMS, I currently work for AMR (Almost Made Rent) in a rescue zone. I work with some very good, very hard working, dedicated Paramedics that I would trust with my life any day. Now I've also worked with some Paramedics that if they came to my house I would tell them to put me in the back and then don't touch me just drive. Its like that anywhere you go.

AMR is a huge corporation They run 911 in more cities then any other public safety entity in the United States if not the world, including Las Vegas, Southern California, Colorado Springs, Key West. just to name a few.

From what it sounds like Most of the Paramedics in Orlando will just be changing uniforms and be given brand new trucks, So me personally I'm not too concerned about it They will get the job done just like Rural Metro (who is the second largest ambulance company in the U.S. they also have a private Fire Department that has in the past underbid government Fire Departments and taken over.) Will probably be good for OFD, if it costs the city less per year that means less they are cutting from the FD budget.

I was asked if I was interested in moving up there possibly, and in the end I decided No Thanks I'd rather stay where I am until I can get picked up by a Fire Rescue agency and do what I love to do with a better paycheck, a more stable career ladder, and not sitting on scene with my thumb up my *** waiting for the FD to show up and extricate someone because I'm not allowed in the hot zone.

Anyways stay safe out there.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanC84 View Post
    Yeah, only the "cool" calls. They're not even TRYING to hide the fact that they want EMS for every reason EXCEPT to provide a better-quality service to the citizens. It's just a revenue stream and a job-maker.

On the other hand, they may need to build lawsuit judgments into those revenue projections.... http://www.firehouse.com/topics/poli...opping-patient

Forum Member

Why would the fire dept send a ambulance to a call then turn over care to a private? I'm not trying to say anything bad about rural metro, they are a very good company here in ga.
    Why send a bus if your not going transport?
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    Yeah, only the "cool" calls. They're not even TRYING to hide the fact that they want EMS for every reason EXCEPT to provide a better-quality service to the citizens. It's just a revenue stream and a job-maker.

On the other hand, they may need to build lawsuit judgments into those revenue projections.... http://www.firehouse.com/topics/poli...opping-patient
    what if they already feel they provide the best quality services, and that taking away staffing to run transports for the "cool" calls takes away thier ability to provide that high level of service.

Why would they hide the obvious that it "makes money" and requires more staffing.

Forum Member

Default Hiring?

So if OFD wants to now buy and staff 10 new rescue transport trucks, if they want to maintain the current staffing levels on all the other units in the city they will have to hire 60 more Fire Fighters EMT/PMs. Each rescue has a minium of 2 members on board X 10 Rescues = 20 members per shift. Then 20 members X 3 shifts = 60 new FFs. Might we see a hiring process here soon for OFD?

Forum Member

Well there is a current list so once that has been exhausted, possibly could see a test maybe at the end of the year, but who knows...

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course it's a revenue stream. You think we would transport for free?! We saved jobs and will be hiring because of this and have secured our citizens the top care they deserve. Furthermore, that was the county that dropped a patient, not us.
    -Rob

makes good girls go bad

Rob, call me back!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    Of course it's a revenue stream. You think we would transport for free?! We saved jobs and will be hiring because of this and have secured our citizens the top care they deserve. Furthermore, that was the county that dropped a patient, not us.
    -Rob
    Top care? Is that what you called a department that wanted NOTHING to do with EMS until the pink slips got filled out?

makes good girls go bad

Nothing?
    Dude, do you know any Orlando FFs?
    Have you worked with any?
    Do you have any as your friends?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Am I missing something here? Tampa and Hillsborough have been running this way for years. ALS response, downgrade to BLS if needed. Why the uproar against Orlando doing it?

makes good girls go bad

Orlando (from what I understand, Rob will smack me down if I am wrong) transports only with Rut/Roh takes too long.
    We (HCFR) are only dispatched to ALS calls, or we triage to BLS and they are close by.
    I see little difference, other then taking "buisness" from Rut/Roh.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Top care? Is that what you called a department that wanted NOTHING to do with EMS until the pink slips got filled out?
    What's the problem buddy, you test with us and not make it or something? Why the hard-on?

-Rob

Thread Information