Forum Member

Default Appleton WI Fire Department infromation request

Greetings all

I am looking for information about the Appleton, WI Fire Department. I checked out their website and couldn't find what I was looking for. Does anybody have response stats by apparatus and know their minimum on duty shift personnel and how many personnel are on each apparatus. In addition I am interested in finding out about the former Chief Neal Cameron. How was he as a chief? When did he retire?

Background: Pennsylvania has a law known as Act 47. It is designed for financially distressed cities. Under Act 47 the state hires a firm to create a plan to make cities solvent. The plan alters future collective bargaining agreement, can raise takes, reorganize city services, etc. Twenty some cities are in varying stages of Act 47. It has devasted some fire departments. Reading PA is the most recent city I know of to seek Act 47. The firm hired by the state to create many of the recovery plans is PFM. It is my understanding Neal Cameron works for PFM to assess the FD's and aid in creating that portion of the plan.

Disclaimer: I am not a Reading Firefighter and my city is not under Act 47. But it seems like PA Cities are turning to Act 47 one by one. You never know my city may be next. I am trying to get ahead of the curve and find out about the guy who may do the evaluations and the kind of department he comes from.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you have a link to a site where we can read about "Act 47"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastFF View Post
    Greetings all

I am looking for information about the Appleton, WI Fire Department. I checked out their website and couldn't find what I was looking for. Does anybody have response stats by apparatus and know their minimum on duty shift personnel and how many personnel are on each apparatus. In addition I am interested in finding out about the former Chief Neal Cameron. How was he as a chief? When did he retire?

Background: Pennsylvania has a law known as Act 47. It is designed for financially distressed cities. Under Act 47 the state hires a firm to create a plan to make cities solvent. The plan alters future collective bargaining agreement, can raise takes, reorganize city services, etc. Twenty some cities are in varying stages of Act 47. It has devasted some fire departments. Reading PA is the most recent city I know of to seek Act 47. The firm hired by the state to create many of the recovery plans is PFM. It is my understanding Neal Cameron works for PFM to assess the FD's and aid in creating that portion of the plan.

Disclaimer: I am not a Reading Firefighter and my city is not under Act 47. But it seems like PA Cities are turning to Act 47 one by one. You never know my city may be next. I am trying to get ahead of the curve and find out about the guy who may do the evaluations and the kind of department he comes from.

Here is an idea:

Why not contact the Department direct and ask them? Explain to them what you are looking for and why and they may give that to you or use the freedom of information act to obtain it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Here are two links of interest. The first is the wiki article on Act 47 the other is the proposed Reading plan being considered now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financi...cipalities_Act

http://www.wfmz.com/download/2010/0506/23475226.pdf

Captain Old Timer,

Thanks for the good ideas. They are avenues worth checking out. In regards to the questions about the chief I would like to hear from people who have had dealings with the man. The fact that he is working where he is now is testement that he must have done some things right in his career. I am hoping to hear from more than just his former employees and I feel that a forum like this could ellicit responses from firefighters from neighboring communties as well as Appleton.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastFF View Post
    Greetings all

I'm not with Appleton, but have worked with several AFD members for special teams. So I can't really answer all the questions, but can address some things. Their site states a staff of 98 with 17 as admin/mgmt, I don't know actual daily staffing, but AFD has 6 stations and staff the engines with 3 and trucks (quint) with 3 to 2 personnel. They don't run EMS, but do respond as a First Responder service. I can't speak about the chief, but he did recently retire with AFD in the past year or so, don't have an exact date, but it wasn't very long ago.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

AFD also is the regional haz-mat team for parts of NE Wi. Here's their website: http://www.appleton.org/departments/fire/
    "If I'm not back in five minutes.. wait longer."

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know the man personally but the department has a great reputation and it is known to be one of the best departments to get on if you can. It used to be very tough to get on but now with the statewide CPAT testing, it's easier.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Their current chief used to be with AFD's neighboring dept. Neenah-Menasha FD. He helped unite both depts into one a few years back.
    "If I'm not back in five minutes.. wait longer."

Thread Information