Thread: SAFER grants

Forum Member

Default SAFER grants

Anyone got any info on timeline for this grant. It seems awards are sporatic at best. What about turndown notices?

Just sitting here, waitin and wonderin...

MembersZone Subscriber

Akron Ohio just got their notification that they are receiving 6 million yesterday. I haven't heard anything else lately.

http://www.akronnewsnow.com/news/ite...tion=localnews

Forum Member

Nobody in my area of NY has heard anything.

Forum Member

Default More $ for SAFER....

Rumor has it there is an extra half a billion floating around the Hill to bump up SAFER. It is lurking with the bill which prevents layoffs for cops, teachers, firefighters........

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spirited76 View Post
    Rumor has it there is an extra half a billion floating around the Hill to bump up SAFER. It is lurking with the bill which prevents layoffs for cops, teachers, firefighters........
    Yeah well IMHO if they had any smarts they should drop that back into AFG; this program is down to half what was there 2 years ago and nobody ever seems to consider the jobs it saves or creates in the manufacturing sector.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Yeah well IMHO if they had any smarts they should drop that back into AFG; this program is down to half what was there 2 years ago and nobody ever seems to consider the jobs it saves or creates in the manufacturing sector.
    I have to agree with you Kurt. Our cities revenue each month is more than it ever has been but yet they are looking at ways to cut. If a city is in such bad shape that they have to lay off the employees then what makes you think that giving them another three years of grant money will make a deference in their revenue. Most of the problems are in peopleís minds anyway. They are afraid to invest or built their inventory up. The stores around here are not keeping anything in stock hardly. If you need something they will have to order it. If our department gets a grant for equipment, letís say a ladder for the truck. The salesman gets a sale and the company that makes it gets their sale, the trucking company that delivered it gets their cut, the company that provided the raw aluminum gets to make money. You have just given four companies a profit and keep the workers on the job. Now I am not that smart just an old country boy but giving four workers a job is better than one that may go away after the grant funds runs out. On top of that you have just made some firefighters safer by having a good ladder rather than the old unsafe ladder. I hope all that makes sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is good common sense that stops once one is elected in to political office.
    "There's no such thing as a bad day,
    Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    I have to agree with you Kurt. Our cities revenue each month is more than it ever has been but yet they are looking at ways to cut. If a city is in such bad shape that they have to lay off the employees then what makes you think that giving them another three years of grant money will make a deference in their revenue. Most of the problems are in people’s minds anyway. They are afraid to invest or built their inventory up. The stores around here are not keeping anything in stock hardly. If you need something they will have to order it. If our department gets a grant for equipment, let’s say a ladder for the truck. The salesman gets a sale and the company that makes it gets their sale, the trucking company that delivered it gets their cut, the company that provided the raw aluminum gets to make money. You have just given four companies a profit and keep the workers on the job. Now I am not that smart just an old country boy but giving four workers a job is better than one that may go away after the grant funds runs out. On top of that you have just made some firefighters safer by having a good ladder rather than the old unsafe ladder. I hope all that makes sense.
    My point exactly. I think all SAFER is doing at this point is delaying the inevitable layoffs that are going to occur anyway and that is not to be taken that I beleive layoffs are good and I am glad to see a FF still have a job but, honestly if I was a FF right now and knew that in 3 years I was going to get "pinkslipped" anyway, heck show me the door now and let me get hooked up with something so I don't waste another 3 years towards my retirement or before I get too old to be hired.

I have actually heard departments and their local givernments saying that they will take the SAFER money and then just pinkslip their re-hires in 2- years and let the govt fight them over re-payment and now that the penalty for letting them go is gone.. well that's stupid in my opinion and has not solved a single problem.

I mean really, if you could not afford to hire FFs and pay a progressively higher match over 4 years, how in the heck are you going to meet the full cost of their salaries in just two years? If you have any sense at all you ought to know that this recession is going to take at least 5 years to get us back to where we were 18 months ago. At least let me go now where they still have "beucoup" unemployment money left and have not yet tapped that well dry.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Anyone seeing any new activity with Safer grants - 1199's, notification questions, calls, anything..

Forum Member

i havent heard of anyone from my area say they heard anything either for hiring or r&r.

does anyone know how much is left in SAFER and how it breaks down as far as rehire, hire new, and r&r?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm guessing here, but I think its around $47 million. They still have to use $21 million for the R&R I believe (the 10% min. I believe someone stated). But if someone declines and whom that is I have no idea. "BC79er" probably has a better idea, he seems to be in the know on all this.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Has this one been seen? This is a heck of a recruitment SAFER grant...

Suffolk County Fire, Rescue & Emergency Services Yaphank NY Recruitment $4,147,972.00 07/09/10

Forum Member

WOW.

That takes a big chunk out of the 21M set aside for R&R projects.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safer

I agree pouring more money into SAFER is a band aid. Having been intimately involved with the fire station grant last year, obviously there is a need for fire stations. why not stimulate our economy with construction jobs and address our infrastructure needs. Our state got 1 fire station, while some firefighters still work out of buildings that are condemned?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mwtetreault View Post
    I agree pouring more money into SAFER is a band aid. Having been intimately involved with the fire station grant last year, obviously there is a need for fire stations. why not stimulate our economy with construction jobs and address our infrastructure needs. Our state got 1 fire station, while some firefighters still work out of buildings that are condemned?
    BTW, we expect you to post photos of that new fire station when it is finished.

Forum Member

Default Another SAFER success story!

It is truly a success story. The Taylorville City Council voted 7-0 last night to hire 3 new firefighters using SAFER grant money.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Illini View Post
    It is truly a success story. The Taylorville City Council voted 7-0 last night to hire 3 new firefighters using SAFER grant money.
    Did they also vote 7-0 to continue the funding locally for those positions after the federal dollars go away?
    Or is this going to be a short term fix using tax $$ to solve a long term problem?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Did they also vote 7-0 to continue the funding locally for those positions after the federal dollars go away?
    Or is this going to be a short term fix using tax $$ to solve a long term problem?
    Not a "fix" at all. It's a long overdue increase in manpower and will be sorely needed because of an economic boom coming soon to our area.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's great news for Taylorville!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking strart clicking

time to check the 1199 boys and girls R&R started dropping yesterday

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Station Grant

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    BTW, we expect you to post photos of that new fire station when it is finished.
    Sorry no longer with that department, after bringing in nearly 2 million in grants in the past three years my position was on the chopping block so I moved to greener pastures.
    Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry no longer with that department, after bringing in nearly 2 million in grants in the past three years my position was on the chopping block so I moved to greener pastures.
    Mark
    I wish them luck in managing that ARRA station grant and all those others... they just might find out how valuable you might have been to them.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Talking

Mark
    Sorry to hear that news Mark. Sometimes the politicians don't know when they have a good thing going for them. Hope your future endeavors are just as successful.
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Sorry to hear that news Mark. Sometimes the politicians don't know when they have a good thing going for them. Hope your future endeavors are just as successful.
    Ed
    Oh he landed on his feet just fine islandfire, he is Chief in Barnstead now.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information