Forum Member

Default How to increase cost share above minimum?

Our minimum share for our application is 5% for our rural status. We had thought about kicking that up to 10%...is it possible to change that ratio or are we stuck at the 5% match. If it's possible where to I add it in...it was giving me an error on the Budget page of the application if I changed the box where the "Applicant" share was listed under "Non-Federal Resources". Do you put it in "Other Sources" and then explain underneath? Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireEngRed View Post
    Our minimum share for our application is 5% for our rural status. We had thought about kicking that up to 10%...is it possible to change that ratio or are we stuck at the 5% match. If it's possible where to I add it in...it was giving me an error on the Budget page of the application if I changed the box where the "Applicant" share was listed under "Non-Federal Resources". Do you put it in "Other Sources" and then explain underneath? Thanks in advance.

Since you want to overmatch the project the easiest way to this this is off the front end. Lower the cost of the project by 5%.

ex. $230,000 for the project. Subtract 5% ($11,500) = $218,500 will be the funding request. If awarded, then the 5% match is $10,925 with the federal share being $207,575. The difference to make up is $22,425 to reach the original $230,000.
    Last edited by onebugle; 05-20-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Forum Member

Reduce the overall request by 5%. And make sure you state you are requesting 95% funding with the other 5% to be paid in addition to the currently required 5%. We just were awarded a pumper and we are paying 15% total, so we requested 90% funding (of course you pay 5% of the 90% plus the 10% ==>14.5%)

Hope this is not confusing.

****Onebugle beat me****

Forum Member

I stand with FireEngRed on this. We want to show an increase in our cash match, not reductions in the overall project. The computer seems more interested in the percentages of the cash match, not the projects total.
    even trying to enter in additional funding shows an error and does not allow additional beyond the 5% set by the population.

No matter how it is perceived, an increase in cash match is what he wants to show.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I stand with FireEngRed on this. We want to show an increase in our cash match, not reductions in the overall project. The computer seems more interested in the percentages of the cash match, not the projects total.
    even trying to enter in additional funding shows an error and does not allow additional beyond the 5% set by the population.

No matter how it is perceived, an increase in cash match is what he wants to show.
    First off Jim, in that phase of the competetive scoring you cannot "show anything" to a computer! During that phase of the competitive scoring a human is not going to read anything he puts there. You are lowering the project cost up front so that the computer scores it for cost benefit and frequency of use by comparison with the lower cost of the truck. Once you have the human element invovled, IE the peer reviewer, now you are going to explain that fact to him in the narrative and take credit for it again in the cost benefit section of the narrative.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    First off Jim, in that phase of the competetive scoring you cannot "show anything" to a computer! During that phase of the competitive scoring a human is not going to read anything he puts there. You are lowering the project cost up front so that the computer scores it for cost benefit and frequency of use by comparison with the lower cost of the truck. Once you have the human element invovled, IE the peer reviewer, now you are going to explain that fact to him in the narrative and take credit for it again in the cost benefit section of the narrative.
    I agree with Kurt on this.
    We have for years tried to get a new truck. This year I lowered the asking price by 20k with hopes of finally getting past the computer.You can always apply for equipment on future AFG grants,VFA grant-(DNR) or on the local level.Getting a hit is better then striking out year after year.

Forum Member

Of course I understood, But I want the computer to love me the way I want it to. Not the way it wants to.
    Last edited by jam24u; 05-24-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Thread Information