Forum Member

Default Pros And Cons of Working with A contract engine crew

So im talking with a contract engine crew called Initial Attack resources and was just wondering what the pros and cons are with employment with them if i am presented a job offer. I am currently working with a contract handcrew, and would like to make the jump to an engine co. but i just want to know what i am getting myself into. I would have to relocate but my question is, do i need to buy all my own gear and such I will ask them this if a job offer is made, and what i am also wondering are the other pros and cons, it doesnt seem like its a full time job it only seems that you sit around until you get a call which i see as a downside if im going to be relocating for the job.
    Any input will work for me.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Have you applied for the USFS or BLM before? Everyone I know who has done contract work in the past would much rather work for the feds. I have a friend who was on a contract engine in central Oregon and it was a as needed basis so he would go weeks without work.

Forum Member

well my overall goal is to be working with USFS engine or shot crew or BLM but i didnt get on with any this year so i basically got an offer with this im already on a type 2 oncall handcrew and had this pop up, i think that i am going to work with my handcrew and then try again with the FS next year

Forum Member

Good luck with everything. I would get your app up to date on AVUE and USAJOBS and start calling in October and bugging the places your interested working for. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask I would be glad to help.

Thread Information