Forum Member

There's around 100 vacancies, and the word around the firehouse that there's around 200 eligible to retire. Alot may retire around july or december. The union supported county exec hopefully takes office in january and he's dedicated to increasing the staffing levels.

This just might be the test to take

Forum Member

anyone know what test they give and when will the test be given?

Forum Member

yes,expect PGFD to hire 200+ over the next 3 years. this is a good opportunity here that you should not pass up. but also let me warn you that they require for you to be a paramedic in order to get promoted to lieutenant and that you maintain that medic cert through out your career.

Forum Member

Let me ask you this Seagrave. I've been through a number of processes with career/volunteer departments in which the vollies who went through the process were showed extreme preference (which I can understand in some ways). Do you know if this is true with Prince George's?

Forum Member

for many years IN PG being a volunteer did not add any extra brownie points in reference to you being hired, but the last fire chief of Prince Georges hired a large amount of volunteers during his 5 year tenure as chief. most felt as if this was his way of trying to weaken the volunteer system.

Forum Member

Sounds like a good opportunity with a busy department. I placed my application online through the county website. Hopefully the process goes through and doesn't cancel as the other departments I tested for did. Thanks to the guys that work or volunteer with the department for keeping the rest of us informed as to what is going on.

Forum Member

How exactly does OT work in PG? After looking at the L-1619 website, am I understanding that anything other than your regularly scheduled hours is time and a half? Also, how fast do firefighters top out in pay? For example, BCFD starts out on the low side, but salaries rise pretty quickly. Are the PG guys pretty happy with their benefits? It shows that retirement is 60% of the last 2 years, is that the average of the HIGHEST 2 years? Is the multiplier still 3? Just curious, what's with the medic requirement to get promoted? I mean, obviously they need medics, but DAMN!

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't know much about PG.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMEL3756 View Post
    How exactly does OT work in PG? After looking at the L-1619 website, am I understanding that anything other than your regularly scheduled hours is time and a half? Also, how fast do firefighters top out in pay? For example, BCFD starts out on the low side, but salaries rise pretty quickly. Are the PG guys pretty happy with their benefits? It shows that retirement is 60% of the last 2 years, is that the average of the HIGHEST 2 years? Is the multiplier still 3? Just curious, what's with the medic requirement to get promoted? I mean, obviously they need medics, but DAMN!

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't know much about PG.
    Let's make it easy by saying that if you work anything over 80 hours in the 2 week payperiod its OT. Holidays are time and a half also.

I can't remember off the top of my head how fast you top out. Because between a merit raise and cola raise etc. I want to say you top out completely around 17-18 years and they can raise the top pay depending on the contract. I think 3 years ago the top pay was 68 or 69k, and now its up to 71k. Now we havent gotten any raises in the past 2 years due to the economy, however, a new contract probably wont be signed until next year.

Healthcare benefits are excellent, I have Cigna open network so i can go to any doctor i want and no need for a referral.

As for retirement, I dont know what the last 2 years salary means. At 20 years its 60 percent of your base salary of your last year. At 30 years its 85 percent of your highest base salary. At retirement you can turn in annual/sick leave to earn credited service years. Say you retire at 25 years of service yet have 5 years worth of annual/sick leave(which is easily possible) You would retire with 30 years of credited service and would retire with 85 percent of your highest base salary. There is also an optional 457b retirement plan that you can invest automatically through payroll.

As of right now, you need emt-I to promote to fire technician and above. There is rumor that they are gonna drop the emt-i requirement for at least fire technician, and maybe down the road all together for everything.

I am not a medic, nor do i plan to become a medic. But they offer the program through the department and you can have it accomplished within a year. You get a 10 percent raise for emt-I and another 10 percent for emt-p.

And every rank above that is another 10 percent raise.

Forum Member

PipeMan - Thanks, bro. One more question: How was recruit school?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeagraveBaby View Post
    the application process is NOW OPEN...the DEADLINE IS June 18th...it is expected that they will hire 200+ off this list over the next 3 years...

Good Luck to all..

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/pgc...FwddxPacket%3E
    Are there positions available for transfers from paid fire departments in other states? Since I am a paid FF/EMT can I take the exams and challenge the FF1/2 and EMT tests for MD??

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by halligan7 View Post
    Are there positions available for transfers from paid fire departments in other states? Since I am a paid FF/EMT can I take the exams and challenge the FF1/2 and EMT tests for MD??

Thanks
    No, you have to take the test like everyone else. They also put you through their own academy to teach you THEIR way. PGFD operates differently than pretty much anywhere else in the country. DCFD is the only department similar in my opinion. Their academy might also teach you a lot you didn't know. A big city academy is much longer than a state one taught by a community college.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    No, you have to take the test like everyone else. They also put you through their own academy to teach you THEIR way. PGFD operates differently than pretty much anywhere else in the country. DCFD is the only department similar in my opinion. Their academy might also teach you a lot you didn't know. A big city academy is much longer than a state one taught by a community college.
    Great, thanks for the info pipeman. I have no issue with learning and would welcome the training. My application is submitted.

Forum Member

So does all the career firefighter's work 7-3 sched? And the Capt.s work the 24/72 . Or do some of the ff's wrk 24/72?

Forum Member

So does all the career firefighter's work 7-3 sched? And the Capt.s work the 24/72 . Or do some of the ff's wrk 24/72?
    From another website: You're either a dayworker, working M-F 0700-1500hrs or a shift worker on a 24/72 shift schedule.

I think that covers ALL field personnel.

Forum Member

what is the area like up there, as far as raising a family?

Forum Member

The schedule you work depends on what firehouse you are assigned to. Most of the southside firehouses are 24/72, while majority of the firehouses around college park are daywork 0700-1500

As for moving a family into the area, i would move to an area where you can commute. Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's counties to name a few nearby.

Forum Member

Thanks PGPipeMan....They give any preference to canidates that already have Natl. Reg. Emt-b, and fire expierence? Thanks again.

Forum Member

No, no preference on that. Everybody starts at the same level.

And as far as living conditions are concerned there are some decent areas in PG like Bowie or Brandywine but for the most part PG county is filled with single parent homes,not saying its a bad thing but most kids that come out of single parented homes are normally on a rougher road than kids out of a 2 parent home and can be a negative influence.

Forum Member

I guess I was wondering where most PG FF's lived that had families

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 1-502 BH View Post
    what is the area like up there, as far as raising a family?
    Definitely not ideal. Prince George's is quite possibly one of the most underrated crime infested areas in the US. Just for an example, a state trooper got a couple to the head the other night over a $20 check from Applebee's. I believe most of the career firemen are either in Montgomery County, DC, or VA to live. Either that or they don't have families.

Forum Member

You are absolutely incorrect. Plenty of Prince Georges County Fireman live withing the county. Certain areas of the county have been bad since the crack era of 20 years ago so its nothing new to most but there are many livable good communities within the county. Prince Georges has a large amount of several million dollar home communities all over the county. Also, to correct your failed attempt to sound cool, the trooper was not shot in the head at all even though he did loose his life sad to say.

But the deadline ends on JUNE 18th get those applications in guys if you want to run some fire...next to Baltimore City, Prince Georges County is thee most fire catching dept in the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area...DO NOT miss out on this opportunity...
    Last edited by SeagraveBaby; 06-15-2010 at 03:24 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Put my app in last week! Waiting on word about the written test.

Forum Member

its been awhile has anyone hear anything about moving forward?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMTlieut804 View Post
    its been awhile has anyone hear anything about moving forward?
    nope havn't heard nothing!

MembersZone Subscriber

Got a letter saying the written test is on August 11

Thread Information