Forum Member

Default Prince George's County,Maryland is "OPEN AGAIN" *closes 5-20-2011* Firefighter/EMT

the application process is NOW OPEN...

Good Luck to all..

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/pgc...FwddxPacket%3E

***Just in. PGFD is hiring Firefighter/EMT's for 2011*** ***Closes on may 20th***
    Last edited by SeagraveBaby; 05-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Forum Member

nice been wanting to up the app. in now im guessing its a good time to do it

Forum Member

Can someone explain to me how the system in PG works. How many stations are all career? How many are all vol.? How many have both? How are the relations between the career and vols?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex77 View Post
    Can someone explain to me how the system in PG works. How many stations are all career? How many are all vol.? How many have both? How are the relations between the career and vols?
    only 2 stations in PG are all Career. Tuxedo-Cheverly station 22 and Chillum sta 44 being the 2. There are currently 5 100% volunteer stations. Every other station in the county is combination. The relations between career and volunteer were better in the past than they are now. most stations that have 4+ career men around the clock have little or no volunteer participation.

Forum Member

do they require residency in the county during employment?

Forum Member

How do they staff the ambulance? Is it staffed by seniority or on a rotating basis? Basically, if you are hired should you expect to spend a lot of time riding the ambulance?

Forum Member

yes, expect to spend a lot of time on the ambulance until you are promoted to Lieutenant or Technician or until you become the senior firefighter on your shift.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex77 View Post
    How do they staff the ambulance? Is it staffed by seniority or on a rotating basis? Basically, if you are hired should you expect to spend a lot of time riding the ambulance?
    O yea. Things change since all fire houses are different depending on the vollys and staffing, but in a lot of them you can expect to be on the ambo for the most part.

Forum Member

If you don't like the ambulance don't apply. You will get to spend time on the supression pieces and you will go to fires, but you will spend a lot of time on the ambulance, as PG(most stations) is a very busy department and on busier ambulances you can expect to run 10-15 calls a day on it. Some stations have vollies that will take it(sometimes), and some stations don't.

Forum Member

So instead of responding in the fire truck you ride along in the ambulance?

Forum Member

How come the salary has such a wide gap? I tried looking for when the test will be given and couldn't find any info, does anyone know?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MANOFSTEEL View Post
    So instead of responding in the fire truck you ride along in the ambulance?
    It depends. Some stations don't have the staffing they need to meet minimum staffing. (Ex: station has 4 career guys, an ambulance call comes up. 2 take it, 2 stay behind for the engine. Ambulance clears and a first due box comes out. The ambulance will respond with the engine to make up staffing on the box.) PG does NOT staff units like most departments in the area do. Each station works differently depending on staffing.

Not sure what you mean about the salary gap...that's about average for the area I believe.
    Last edited by somebody509; 05-22-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    It depends. Some stations don't have the staffing they need to meet minimum staffing. (Ex: station has 4 career guys, an ambulance call comes up. 2 take it, 2 stay behind for the engine. Ambulance clears and a first due box comes out. The ambulance will respond with the engine to make up staffing on the box.) PG does NOT staff units like most departments in the area do. Each station works differently depending on staffing.

Not sure what you mean about the salary gap...that's about average for the area I believe.
    What is a first due box?

Good thing's happening

Think of it as your first due area...any place that you will get there first ahead of any body else.

Forum Member

ok so your saying that an ambulance took the first call and finished it. As they are returning to the station they receive another call and respond, the two remaining firefighters at the station also respond just to make sure there is sufficient coverage?

Forum Member

You don't have to worry about most of your questions until you actually get the job first. Going to have plenty of competition.

Sounds like it might be your first time applying for a job. That's a very common salary range. Are you asking if you can start anywhere in that range? Because that's not how it works. It's showing the starting salary and top salary(takes years to get) for that position.

Like mentioned before, of course there's fire trucks. However, you need ambulances to be staffed too. Someone needs to transport the patients. The career guys HAVE to be at work and do their job. So if a run comes in for the ambulance, they need to go. Some houses have vollys that like the ambo and will volunteer to ride, but many have vollys that refuse to ride it.

Forum Member

hey, if its your first time just do you damn best, if you get on you will have the questions anwsered, ya know. Best of luck to ALL that put the app. in. Yes EMS is a big part of the fire service and needs to be a important part of the departemnt, tho PG does see fire, EMS calls still come in a need to be answered. Im a FF/emt and my dept. runs more ems that fie and I love it, ems is a challenge at points, but its a awsome time.

Forum Member

Also something to keep in mind is that PG has, and will continue to furlough its employees. This is a good department that will run a lot of fire, but job security isn't the highest.

Forum Member

Somebody509:

Do you work for PGFD?

Furloughs are finished per the current county executive. The first year of furloughs is being decided by judges in richmond Va.

Firehouses that have a paramedic ambulance get minimum staffing for the fire suppression apparatus. Example: If its just an engine co. and medic/ambulance in the firehouse, you have 2 on the medic/ambo and 3 for the engine company. If its a special service house(truck/rescue squad) the medic/ambo gets 2 and the fire truck gets a staffing of 4.

There's about 100 vacancies, 200-250 eligible to retire and a new county executive headed for office in january.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PGPipeMan View Post
    Somebody509:

Do you work for PGFD?

Furloughs are finished per the current county executive. The first year of furloughs is being decided by judges in richmond Va.

Firehouses that have a paramedic ambulance get minimum staffing for the fire suppression apparatus. Example: If its just an engine co. and medic/ambulance in the firehouse, you have 2 on the medic/ambo and 3 for the engine company. If its a special service house(truck/rescue squad) the medic/ambo gets 2 and the fire truck gets a staffing of 4.

There's about 100 vacancies, 200-250 eligible to retire and a new county executive headed for office in january.
    Sorry, I confused furloughs with the volunteer VSU days.

And no, I do not work for PGFD. I was a live-in and volunteer in the county while I work for another department.

For anybody who wants a better idea about thigns that go on in the county you can check out the watch desk forum. You'll be able to find a lot more people who work/volunteer in PG to give you info.
    http://thewatchdesk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13
    Last edited by somebody509; 05-23-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    Sorry, I confused furloughs with the volunteer VSU days.

And no, I do not work for PGFD. I was a live-in and volunteer in the county while I work for another department.

For anybody who wants a better idea about thigns that go on in the county you can check out the watch desk forum. You'll be able to find a lot more people who work/volunteer in PG to give you info.
    http://thewatchdesk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13
    Just a heads up though, while TWD has some great guys that can really help, it's also a different type of forum. It's not as "professional" you could say as these are. I'm not a huge fan of the way people are starting to act on here anymore either, but it's a different world on there with more drama and rumors.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    Just a heads up though, while TWD has some great guys that can really help, it's also a different type of forum. It's not as "professional" you could say as these are. I'm not a huge fan of the way people are starting to act on here anymore either, but it's a different world on there with more drama and rumors.
    That's the point. The watch desk gives a better representation of how the department is....

Forum Member

It seems to me like a pretty decent deal, lots of calls, room for employment/growth, what more could you ask for?

Forum Member

ya i was going to put a app. in before but i didnt b/c of the rumor of dept. problems but I always wanted to be in PGco. b/c of the number of runs( get to see all types of calls), and the growth.... I'm erger to start and see what happens.

Does anyone know if the rumor of 200 plus pple needed to be hired? and how is the hiring process like? Thanks

Forum Member

Ya 200+ people is a lot to hire, pretty exciting news. Anyone here have any input on how their academy is?

Thread Information