Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default la county hiring process

hello too all here at firehouse, it is a pleasure to be a part of this website and look forward to contributing too it as well... here is my question about la county process.

i dont want to make it seem like i am "rubbing it in anyones face" God knows i am saying this with a humbled heart..... but i have just recently passed the oral interview for la county fire and i scored a 99 and acheived band 1. (thank you capt bob!!!) and i was curious too know if anyone knows the turn around time for the background packet, if, they will proceed in having one due to the economy. the information will be much needed and appreciated.

also, i have been accepted in a local fire academy and was wondering where i could get some cheap gear or should i just use the equipment they provide at the academy?? the pearls of wisdom you all have, once again, will be greatly appreciated.

thanks firehouse for this great website!!

Forum Member

I don't want to highjack your thread, but can you give some insight as to what credentials you have?

I'll be completing my EMT in one week and will be going to a academy for my FF1 this august. After I rack up my 1000 hours as an EMT, I'm heading straight to medic school.

I just want to make sure I'm going in the right direction. If you can let me know what you did to make it that far in the process, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Congrats again. I'll be applying to LA county after I pass nationals. Good luck and I hope you get brought on to a department ASAP.

Forum Member

yea man its no problem, we are all here too help each other, i would be considered "lucky" by any standards. i have my national emt cert... cpat.... a couple fire science courses and experience on the rig and employed in a hospital. and like i said earlier i have been accepted into my local fire academy, starts in august... all in preparation for the county academy (God willing) and that way i can be ready for the county academy if they bring me on.

i would drop a app as soon as u could. and yes, you are most definitely on the right track. good luck on your nremt test (from experience it is not hard if you prepare for it well enough) my test for the nremt actually shut off by question 70, because it is computer based and i really thought i didnt do well because they cut me off!!!! lol but i was told later that the test will guage your knowledge based on how you answer the questions.... in summation if the test can tell that you know your stuff it will shut off early... if you are "so-so" then it will continue until it feels like you are compotent.... and lastly if you do not know anything it it will cut off as well because it can tell that you dont know anything! lol if im wrong or am not entirely correct feel free too correct me (just want to make sure you have the right info you know) but yea, your good, stay focused, life has alot of distracrtions try your best not too get caught up in any non-sense. and in the mean time.... LOOK UP!!

hope this helps...

Forum Member

Thanks for your response! I'm going to study for the nationals like crazy. I want to make sure I pass it in one shot.

Did you practice your orals with Capt. Bob?

Forum Member

yea, foe the most part i did alot of studying with capt. bob, but i also purchased a book by paul leopore that helped just the same. it is called smoke your firefighter interview. check it out man, very resourceful

tbt
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default re cpt Bob

Can you elaborate a bit on what you actually purchased and time spent, etc w/ Capt Bob? I am ready to pull the trigger on that and just curious what you thought. Thanks

Forum Member

i am going too have too be honest bro, i didnt even purchase a package from capt bob. (funds were a little low) i basically just used any type of free information that the website was able too offer. i visited a whole lot of stations..... and i read the paul leopore book. oh yea, and tape recorder.... that is really all that i did. and i am being totally honest. the most beneficial was visiting stations though.... you would be surprised at the information you could get there. lol!!!

Forum Member

not too get away from your asking apatai.... im perfectly fine answering your questions bro.... but does anyone know the turn around time for oral boards too backgrounds??

Congrats, jaydeeff. Usual turn around to backgrounds is 3-4 months. The group ahead of us just turned in their packets on the 20th. I'm guessing you interviewed in April, which puts us in the same group. There's a lot more specific info in the forums at lacountyfire.com.

Hurry up and wait...

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know the turn around time but I'll try to answer some of the other questions.

If you academy offers loaner gear to use during the academy, use their stuff. You will likely be performing a lot of drills that will tear up gear and why ruin your stuff? Especially since the academy would have to make sure all the gear meets safety standards and is in good repair.

CaptBob's website has a great deal of free information on his websites. One of his services he offers is a form of coaching and helping you answer questions confidently (he doesn't give you the answers, but helps drastically with your confidence). He also stresses the importance of nuggets, which is where you answer the question using a personal story that gives an example the board will remember.

John 15:13

Congrats on Band 1!

If history repeats itself you are looking at 3 - 4 months until you are invited to BG orientation. Then you will have a couple of weeks to complete your packet and a couple more to get an investigator assigned after you turn it in. Backgrounds run about 3 months (this varies for each candidate... some more, some less.). Then you have about a 30 day wait while they turn over their hire/no hire recomendation to the administration team who will schedule your medical about 30 days after that.

You are looking at 6 - 9 months until you are eligible for an academy. Then it's all about when you get selected for one.

Just because you are eligibale does not mean you will make the first academy that comes up. Many people become eligible but then wait an academy or two until there is enough room to put them in.

Like he said... hurry up and wait. LACoFD is a dream come true and you have already won the lottery by getting where you are. Just be patient!

Forum Member

hey thanks you guys!! and congrats too you as well marietta... yea i interviewed april 8 i think too be exact. so yes sir, i am just trying to be patient and in the mean time get ready for this junior college academy. so 3 months?? thats excellent, i really am not minding the wait you know?? just curious on the turn around time because i didnt want the j.c. academy to interfer with the county but i guess i will have enough time too do both academies!! lol thanks for all the encouragment and information guys!! and hey do you guys have any insight too academies? this will be my first and i really want to excel there and in this service in general. anything.... literally anything (workout routines etc) possible that can help me better prepare for this i would greatly appreciate.

and for the record, i am a first generation young man trying to pursue this fine career, i do not really have too much guidance so, to avoid "bumping my head" too much, i seek insight from veterans on these awesome sites....
    thanks again too all... and the advice i will take heed too... "hurry up and wait" GOT IT!

Forum Member

and hey egrus... thats good information there! thanks for that, i am grateful for your pearls of wisdom! i have a question..... do you work there? have any connections?? any way you may know how extensive the b.g. is?

and on a side note, i probably will end up using the equipment that they provide @ the academy, been doin alot of research and allot of people who have taken local j.c. fire academies have recommended too use the academies equipment. so, once again i am forever grateful for the info.

John 15:13

Hi jaydeef. I don't work there. I am in the process just like you (except a step further).

I am in backgrounds now so the timeline I gave you is based on my experience so far and the expectations that they set for us at our background orientation.

As far as how extensive the backgrounds are... I'm not sure how it would compare to other departments but I am sure they are extensive. The Captain's performing the backgrounds introduced themselves as part of the orientation. Many of them have been doing backgrounds for 10, 15, even 20 years... They are good at their jobs and definitley know how to get the information necessary to make a recommendation on a candidate or not. That part was made very clear.

Forum Member

got ya... and congrats too you egrus on making it so far. hope your backgrounds go smoothly and with no bumps. but yea, thats a great guide for me. i am looking forward too it. good luck out there bro... you have answered my question. thank again and hope to c u in the field one day!

Forum Member

Yo jaydeff! You're just steps away from attaining (not a job) BUT, a CALLING at one the most progressive, most awesome and highly esteemed department in the WORLD!!! (Trust me...I'm not embellishing). Now...enough of the cheerleading. Egrus is on the money with the info about the background and the timelines. (Good lookin' out Egrus). I don't think I have to tell you to be thorough! (let me say that again) BE THOROUGH!! Leave nothing to the imagination. If you don't realize anything else, realize that If you're not thorough, the BG investigators will be!!PERIOD!! Keep your nose clean..SCRUB..NO STERILIZE YOUR FACEBOOK and/or MYSPACE!! Any vices?? More than likely will get discovered. KEEP YOUR CREDIT CLEAN! Have outstanding bills??? Get them paid off or...paid down. Be completely transparent, truthful and most importantly, don't change anything good you're doing (i.e. community service, church missions..) If you're all "inked" up...(down your arms, neck, nuckles, around the eyes) might not hurt considering removal??? (just so you know our new tatoo policy will likely require you to cover up...ALWAYS) That means long sleeves.
    Best of luck to you and we'll see you on the other side!!

Forum Member

AXE MAN!!!! dude... lving the enthusiam right now!! so based off the information you have just provided i guess i have started out pretty good..... no tatts.... no outstanding ANYTHINGS! lol i am actually very into the church... no smoke... no drink.... never done it... not because i wanted to be a firefighter but just simply because it was never apart of my character.... never was interested in being involved. no facebook (never had one) no myspace not interested any more. and as far as anything else i am just trying to keep the distractions limited... VERY LIMITED because thats where we lose focus and we find ourselves fallin! so i am just a young man trying to achieve such a great honor. i am just grateful for just making it this far. and i do not want to jeopordize it. so, thanks for the info axeman.... i am in debt to you. i appreciate it alot.... i thank God for this opportunity to just even be on here discussing this.... its a dream come true!!!

and hey axeman, i really hope too see you in the field as well. on the other side!! lol

Forum Member

i guess (according too some standards) you could say i am a corn ball!!! lol but hey if i can get that badge, then i will be a firefighter corn ball!!! lol

Forum Member

No worries young Jedi...No worries! Just keep your nose clean!

Forum Member

Congrats Jay! I've been on for almost a year now and I interviewed in January of `08. It took six months for me to hear anything back regarding the background orientation, so it varies a bit. If you haven't already found it, lacountyfire.com is another forum with lots of department-specific information. Other than that, I second everything the Axeman said. Enjoy the ride, brotha, and we'll see you out there!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post
    Congrats Jay! I've been on for almost a year now and I interviewed in January of `08. It took six months for me to hear anything back regarding the background orientation, so it varies a bit. If you haven't already found it, lacountyfire.com is another forum with lots of department-specific information. Other than that, I second everything the Axeman said. Enjoy the ride, brotha, and we'll see you out there!
    Sir, can one file an online application (provided they have a current CPAT card) at anytime, or should I wait until the official announcement comes out for this year? I saw that your department received a SAFER grant! Congrats and thank you in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Sir, can one file an online application (provided they have a current CPAT card) at anytime, or should I wait until the official announcement comes out for this year? I saw that your department received a SAFER grant! Congrats and thank you in advance.
    I think I saw this question over on that other forum but didn't answer because I wasn't 100% sure, but I just went to the department's website and here's my interpretation: go ahead and do it as soon as you can. Your online app is valid for a year, and they'll pick people at random, from the existing pool of applications, to take the written test. Thanks! And good luck to you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post
    I think I saw this question over on that other forum but didn't answer because I wasn't 100% sure, but I just went to the department's website and here's my interpretation: go ahead and do it as soon as you can. Your online app is valid for a year, and they'll pick people at random, from the existing pool of applications, to take the written test. Thanks! And good luck to you!
    Good advice! Thank you very much!

Forum Member

yes sir..... i would do that as well just apply and pray. because they do select randomly, it would be best that you just apply and prepare for the written exam as if you were already going to be picked. thats what i did, although i had no clue i was going to be selected. but it is better to be prepared than too not be prepared at all.

Forum Member

and to sans..... thanks for that information. like i said although i am not selected for background just yet, i am preparing as if i am. just in case... and of course.... keeping my nose sterile (axeman lol). but your information is valued and appreciated. i am really looking forward too seeing you in the field as well. and since you are not that far off from backgrounds.... any insights as too what too expect as a supplement to what axeman has already provided?? i really appreciate it if you could at all. thanks either way. be safe out there bro....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information