MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking My Home Town Takes "Tops" For Smarts

Victoria tops in the country for smarts

City knocks Calgary off with highest score ever on lifelong learning index

By Sandra McCulloch, Times Colonist May 21, 2010

Victoria is the smarty pants of Canada, top of the class among communities measured for learning conditions.

The city's overall score of 95 per cent -- up from 88 last year -- is the highest of any Canadian community, large or small, in the five-year history of the Composite Learning Index, compiled by Canadian Council on Learning.

Victoria and the second-place city of Saskatoon, which scored 90, are the only major cities in Canada with scores significantly above the national average of 75 per cent.

The CLI examines a wide range of learning indicators to generate scores for more than 4,500 communities across Canada.

Among the factors considered are youth literacy skills, participation in workplace training, access to sports and culture, exposure to media, learning from other cultures, volunteering, access to learning institutions and high-school dropout rate.

Victoria, which has ranked in the top three cities over the last three years, knocked out Calgary (88) -- last year's top-place finisher -- followed by Ottawa (87) and Regina (84).

Oak Bay and Esquimalt are just a point behind Victoria at 94 per cent. Saanich and View Royal scored 92, Sidney 91, Central Saanich and Colwood both had 90 while North Saanich, Duncan and Langford all scored 89.

"I think what it says is we're doing things right and let's continue doing things right," said Helen Hughes, the city's liaison to the program.

"It's easy in a time of restraint to say the school libraries or the Greater Victoria Public Library can cut back on their services. But I think the main thing to remember is we want to keep being No. 1."

Learning doesn't have to be in the classroom, she said.

Area recreation centres offer affordable programs that enhance community intellect.

The Council on Learning notes that Victoria is home to the country's greatest concentration of master's and doctoral-degree graduates per capita, as well as a thriving cultural scene that includes an opera company, ballet troupe and symphony orchestra.

It also points to the city's high rate of volunteerism -- nearly half of Victoria residents reported volunteering in 2007.

But what sets Victoria apart is a combination of factors, the lead author of the report said yesterday. "It's not just the amount of learning opportunities that are available for communities but the balance of it," said Jarrett Laughlin, CLI senior research analyst.

"Balance is important because we look at learning that goes beyond the walls of the classroom -- we're looking at learning that occurs in the home, the community and the workplace. "Victoria is a leader in all of these pillars."

Initiatives like last weekend's Times Colonist book sale, which raised $140,000 for literacy programs on Vancouver Island, help keep learning a priority in the community, he added.

There's still room to improve our score, said Laughlin, by working on informal learning through reading printed material like newspapers, books and magazines. Victoria's score in that area fell from 94 per cent in 2006 to 85 per cent in 2010.

Another category, learning through sports, has dropped from 63 per cent to 52 per cent over the last five years, he said.

Workplace training has fallen off as well, said Laughlin, noting Victoria's numbers in that area have remained stagnant for the last five years.

"It's at the average but below some of the other cities in Canada," he said.

"In economic times like this, it's not the time to de-invest in learning."

On the web: www.cli-ica.ca

smcculloch@tc.canwest.com

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

{I can hear the door opening on the Smart@ss comments NOW! ahhahahaa OK. Actually I'm from North Saanich, but close enough!}

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Victoria tops in the country for smarts

City knocks Calgary off with highest score ever on lifelong learning index

By Sandra McCulloch, Times Colonist May 21, 2010

Victoria is the smarty pants of Canada, top of the class among communities measured for learning conditions.

The city's overall score of 95 per cent -- up from 88 last year -- is the highest of any Canadian community, large or small, in the five-year history of the Composite Learning Index, compiled by Canadian Council on Learning.

Victoria and the second-place city of Saskatoon, which scored 90, are the only major cities in Canada with scores significantly above the national average of 75 per cent.

The CLI examines a wide range of learning indicators to generate scores for more than 4,500 communities across Canada.

Among the factors considered are youth literacy skills, participation in workplace training, access to sports and culture, exposure to media, learning from other cultures, volunteering, access to learning institutions and high-school dropout rate.

Victoria, which has ranked in the top three cities over the last three years, knocked out Calgary (88) -- last year's top-place finisher -- followed by Ottawa (87) and Regina (84).

Oak Bay and Esquimalt are just a point behind Victoria at 94 per cent. Saanich and View Royal scored 92, Sidney 91, Central Saanich and Colwood both had 90 while North Saanich, Duncan and Langford all scored 89.

"I think what it says is we're doing things right and let's continue doing things right," said Helen Hughes, the city's liaison to the program.

"It's easy in a time of restraint to say the school libraries or the Greater Victoria Public Library can cut back on their services. But I think the main thing to remember is we want to keep being No. 1."

Learning doesn't have to be in the classroom, she said.

Area recreation centres offer affordable programs that enhance community intellect.

The Council on Learning notes that Victoria is home to the country's greatest concentration of master's and doctoral-degree graduates per capita, as well as a thriving cultural scene that includes an opera company, ballet troupe and symphony orchestra.

It also points to the city's high rate of volunteerism -- nearly half of Victoria residents reported volunteering in 2007.

But what sets Victoria apart is a combination of factors, the lead author of the report said yesterday. "It's not just the amount of learning opportunities that are available for communities but the balance of it," said Jarrett Laughlin, CLI senior research analyst.

"Balance is important because we look at learning that goes beyond the walls of the classroom -- we're looking at learning that occurs in the home, the community and the workplace. "Victoria is a leader in all of these pillars."

Initiatives like last weekend's Times Colonist book sale, which raised $140,000 for literacy programs on Vancouver Island, help keep learning a priority in the community, he added.

There's still room to improve our score, said Laughlin, by working on informal learning through reading printed material like newspapers, books and magazines. Victoria's score in that area fell from 94 per cent in 2006 to 85 per cent in 2010.

Another category, learning through sports, has dropped from 63 per cent to 52 per cent over the last five years, he said.

Workplace training has fallen off as well, said Laughlin, noting Victoria's numbers in that area have remained stagnant for the last five years.

"It's at the average but below some of the other cities in Canada," he said.

"In economic times like this, it's not the time to de-invest in learning."

On the web: www.cli-ica.ca

smcculloch@tc.canwest.com

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

{I can hear the door opening on the Smart@ss comments NOW! ahhahahaa OK. Actually I'm from North Saanich, but close enough!}
    Question is, What happened to you?

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Question is, What happened to you?

-Damien
    I ask myself that self, same question on a regular basis. And then I look down at the clothes I'm wearing and see "Army-Green" and suddenly "all is clear". ahahahaahahaaa

Thread Information