Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up WELL DONE You, Sir!

In blindness, soldiers find new niche in military
    By MICHAEL HILL, Associated Press Writer

Friday, May 21, 2010 (05-21) 07:12 PDT West Point, N.Y. (AP)

Since a car bomb blinded Capt. Scott Smiley in Iraq, he has skied Vail, climbed Mount Rainier, earned his MBA, raised two young boys with his wife, won an Espy award and pulled himself up from faith-shaking depths.

Smiley, 30, has snagged attention for his big accomplishments. But the daily ones are telling, too, including the recent tour he gave of his staff's offices at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, where he plans to attend President Barack Obama's address of the Class of 2010 on Saturday.

Unable to see the path around the workers' cubicles, Smiley stepped forward with a joke to the camouflage-clad officers he was showing around: "I walk around, and when I hit things, I move," he said.

An aide trailing him said softly, "Turn right, sir," at a doorway. Smiley turned.

Smiley, of Pasco, Wash., is one of only a handful of soldiers who chose to remain on active duty after being blinded by fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, a practice that's rare but one that military officials say benefits both parties.

Though unable to return to his old infantry duties in Iraq, Smiley has thrived in stateside postings such as his latest at West Point, from which he graduated in 2003. He now commands the Warrior Transition Unit at West Point for ailing or wounded soldiers.

Voice software allows Smiley to listen to e-mails, books and pamphlets. Aides help him navigate and tell him what order he's signing. It's a little like changing his son's diapers at home: He's fine as long as he knows where everything is.

His resiliency and energy helped him earn the 2007 Soldier of the Year commendation from the publication Army Times, as well as an ESPN Espy award in 2008 for best outdoor athlete.

He earned his master's of business administration at Duke University and has spoken to the Olympic and Duke teams coached by Mike Krzyzewski, a fellow West Point alum. He has a memoir coming out this year titled "Hope Unseen."

Smiley said he's not trying to prove anything with his exploits.

"In terms of getting an MBA, climbing Mount Rainier, it's what I always wanted to do," he said. "Why should I stop that?"

Smiley was injured April 6, 2005, six months into a deployment to Iraq. He led patrols through Mosul, a dangerous city where a too-high pile of garbage could be hiding explosives and the enemy blended in with the populace.

Sgt. 1st Class Mike Branham, who served as a squad leader under Smiley, said his fellow serviceman was a topflight officer, one who stood out for his deep Christian faith and detailed knowledge of his soldiers.

"He knew their names, he knew their wives' names, he knew their likes and dislikes," Branham said.

Smiley was leading a patrol in an armored Stryker vehicle when, from his perch in the forward hatch, he spotted a silver Opel that matched intelligence descriptions of a potential car bomb. The trunk appeared to be weighed down and the driver acted as though he didn't understand Smiley, who fired warning shots at the ground when it looked as if the driver was going to pull forward.

The driver raised his hands, and the car went up in a fireball.

Shrapnel tore through Smiley's left eye and lodged in his frontal brain lobe; another fragment the size of a pencil lead pierced his right eye.

Slumped unconscious in the Stryker hatch, Smiley was rushed to a medical center, where he briefly flatlined as friends prayed at his bedside.

Branham recalls, "I didn't think he was going to make it past that day at all."

He was left permanently blinded and temporarily paralyzed on his right side.

Stabilized and shipped stateside, Smiley struggled with his fate. He had vowed at his wedding to take care of his wife, Tiffany, and there she was, taking care of him. The exertion of wiggling his big toe required a three-hour nap.

He received his Purple Heart on his hospital bed. A video posted on YouTube of the ceremony shows his brother Neal struggling to maintain composure as he reads the citation. Smiley, looking beaten and uncomfortable in his bed, turns his head away.

"When I got to the hospital and I finally realized what happened, what my life was going to be like, I didn't believe in God. I questioned my faith. I questioned everything that was ever said to me before," Smiley said. "Because in my mind, why would God allow something like this to happen to me?"

Smiley credits his wife, family and faith for helping him accept his condition. Ultimately, he decided he didn't want to be like the Lt. Dan character played by Gary Sinise in "Forrest Gump," the officer who wants to be left to die when he loses his legs in Vietnam. He would push on. And if his path kept him in the Army, that was fine.

"I was totally prepared to get out," he said. "But still in the back of my mind, it was: 'I still have so much to give. I love serving my country.'"

The Army says at least four other totally or partially blind soldiers have remained on active duty since Iraq and Afghanistan.

Capt. Ivan Castro lost his sight and suffered other serious injuries in a 2006 mortar attack in Iraq and is now stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C., with the Special Operations Recruiting Battalion. Castro, a 42-year-old who runs marathons and 50-mile races, appears to share some personality traits with Smiley — and says he also felt he still had something to serve after being injured.

"I've been doing this for over 18 years," Castro, who was born in Hoboken, N.J., and grew up in Puerto Rico, said in a phone interview. "This is all I know. This is what I love. This is what I live for."

Castro's commander, Lt. Col. Fredrick Dummar, said the continued service by blind soldiers fits with the military philosophy that everyone has unique abilities and that "there's always somebody on the team that can accomplish a mission."

Smiley was at first posted at Accessions Command, which oversees recruiting, and later earned his MBA. He returned to West Point last year to teach and took command this year of the Warrior Transition Unit here this year. He lives on post with Tiffany and their two young boys. After the West Point graduation ceremony Saturday, he plans to pin lieutenant bars on one of the roughly 1,000 cadets who will become new Army officers.

Smiley conceded that he might have a better understanding of the ailing soldiers under his command but is quick to add that his overriding concern is maintaining Army standards — for his soldiers and for himself.

"I still want to be the person I always wanted to be," he said.

Exclamation

Outstanding!!!!

NEVER say "I can't"!

I'll always slam another service in good nature.

But this "soldier", has all of my respect for dedication and bravery.

SALUTE !!!!!
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thumbs up Not Really Related, But Similar

{I received this through the Base Broadcast email system. This week is part of the Aboriginal Awareness Week}

Native Soldiers - Foreign Battlefields

A Peaceful Man

The most highly decorated Canadian Native in the First World War was Francis Pegahmagabow. An Ojibwa from the Parry Island Band in Ontario, he was awarded the Military Medal (MM) plus two bars for bravery in Belgium and France. Soldiers who had been awarded the MM and later performed similarly heroic acts could receive bars to it, denoting further awards. Pegahmagabow was one of 39 members of the CEF who received two bars to the MM.
    Pegahmagabow enlisted with the 23rd Regiment (Northern Pioneers) in August 1914, almost immediately after war was declared. Previously, he had worked along the Great Lakes as a marine fireman for the Department of Marine and Fisheries. Within weeks of volunteering, he became one of the original members of the 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion, which, along with the rest of the 20,000-strong 1st Canadian Division, landed in France in February 1915.
    Sniping was the specialty of the man his fellow soldiers called "Peggy." It has been written of him, "His iron nerves, patience and superb marksmanship helped make him an outstanding sniper." In addition, Pegahmagabow developed a reputation as a superior scout.

The 1st Battalion experienced heavy action almost as soon as it arrived on the battlefield. It fought at Ypres, where the enemy introduced a new deadly weapon, poison gas, and on the Somme, where Pegahmagabow was shot in the leg. He recovered and made it back in time to return with his unit to Belgium.

It was during his first year on the Western Front that he became one of the first Canadians to be awarded the MM. The commendation reads:
    “For continuous service as a messenger from February 14th 1915 to February 1916. He carried messages with great bravery and success during the whole of the actions at Ypres, Festubert and Givenchy. In all his work he has consistently shown a disregard for danger and his faithfulness to duty is highly commendable.”

In November 1917, the 1st Battalion joined the assault near the village of Passchendaele. Here, roughly 20,000 Allied soldiers crawled from shell crater to shell crater, through water and mud. With two British divisions, the Canadian Corps attacked and took the village, holding it for five days, until reinforcements arrived. The Allies suffered 16,000 casualties at Passchendaele, and Corporal Pegahmagabow earned his first bar to the MM.
    His citation reads:

At Passchendaele Nov. 6th/7th, 1917, this NCO [non-commissioned officer] did excellent work. Before and after the attack he kept in touch with the flanks, advising the units he had seen, this information proving the success of the attack and saving valuable time in consolidating. He also guided the relief to its proper place after it had become mixed up.

Pegahmagabow would earn his second bar to the MM during the final months of the First World War in the Battle of the Scarpe (part of the 2nd Battle of Arras). The commendation reads:

"During the operations of August 30th, 1918, at Orix Trench, near Upton Wood, when his company were almost out of ammunition and in danger of being surrounded, this NCO went over the top under heavy MG [machine gun] and rifle fire and brought back sufficient ammunition to enable the post to carry on and assist in repulsing heavy enemy counter-attacks."

In April 1919, Pegahmagabow was invalided to Canada, having served for nearly the entire war. Afterward, he joined the Algonquin Regiment in the non-permanent active militia and, following in the steps of his father and grandfather, became chief of the Parry Island Band and later a councillor. A member of Canada's Indian Hall of Fame, Pegahmagabow died on the reserve in 1952.

Francis Pegahmagabow rarely spoke of his military accomplishments. However, his son Duncan recalls being told that his father was responsible for capturing 300 enemy soldiers. "My mother [Eva] told me he used to go behind enemy lines, rub shoulders with the enemy forces and never get caught." Duncan also remembers that Pegahmagabow "felt very strongly about his country." Mostly, he sees his father as a peaceful man: "He was always saying how we have to live in harmony with all living things in this world."

Red face Again, Through EMail

Native Soldiers - Foreign Battlefields

Nurse Overseas

Native women also made their share of sacrifices during the war. One example is Edith Anderson Monture, a nurse who served overseas at an American hospital base.

The youngest of eight children, Edith Anderson was born in 1890 on the Six Nations Grand River Reserve. As a young woman, she was determined to become a nurse, but found few opportunities to train in Canada. She therefore studied at the New Rochelle School of Nursing in New York State and, after becoming a registered nurse in 1914, worked at an American elementary school.

In 1917, 27-year-old Anderson and 19 other nurses, 14 of whom were also Canadian, joined the U.S. Medical Corps. Within months, they were in Vittel, France, at Buffalo Base Hospital 23, formerly a resort hotel. Miss Anderson spent most of her time at the hospital, treating soldiers who had been shot or gassed. Occasionally, she was sent to other medical centres to help, giving her an opportunity to see more of the country. She sometimes saw more than she cared to.

In 1983, at the age of 93, the Veteran nurse was interviewed by a reporter from her local newspaper, The Grand River Sachem. Bright and forthcoming, she shared the following memories:

We would walk right over where there had been fighting. It was an awful sight – buildings in rubble, trees burnt, spent shells all over the place, whole towns blown up.

Her recollections of a 20-year-old American patient at Hospital 23 were particularly strong:

He'd been shot in the neck, but he was getting along fine. Then one night I was on duty and he began hemorrhaging quite badly. We did have orderlies, but they were never to be found, and it happened that a boy who brought bread for the Americans was the one who helped me do the running around.
    We finally managed to stop the bleeding and settled the boy down. The next night he was real good, but then he hemorrhaged again the next. The night after that he died.

It was quite a shock to all of us because we were confident he was going to be all right. I got his mother's address in the States and wrote her telling her I was with her son when he passed away.

After the war, Anderson returned to the Six Nations Reserve. Here she was contacted by the American boy's parents, who invited her to visit them in Iowa. She did. Eventually, the young man's parents visited Vittel, and, on the return trip, exchanged a visit with Anderson at her home.

Edith Anderson married Claybran Monture in 1919 and subsequently raised four children. She continued nursing, working on a casual basis at a hospital on the reserve until 1955.

This is a copy of a message outlining the award of various citations and awards for actions in the face of the Enemy as well as for support to operations etc. There is one specific which I would like to bring to attention, as indicated by the hi-liting:

R 311501Z MAY 10

FM NDHQ CMP OTTAWA
    TO CANFORGEN
    UNCLAS CANFORGEN 108/10 CMP 050/10
    BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE

SUBJ: HONOURS AND RECOGNITION

1. HER EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR GENERAL HAS APPROVED NATIONAL HONOURS FOR THE FOL DESERVING INDIVIDUALS

A. MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL

(1) LCOL L. ANDERSON (AUSTRALIAN ARMY) - FOR EXCEPTIONAL DEDICATION
    AS THE AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE ADVISER TO CANADA, DEC 05 TO SEP 08

(2) LCOL J.P. DURAN (FRENCH ARMY) - FOR EXCEPTIONAL DEDICATION AND
    PROFESSIONALISM AS ASSISTANT DEFENCE ATTACHE AT THE EMBASSY OF
    FRANCE, IN OTTAWA, 2004 TO 2008

B. MENTION IN DISPATCHES

(1) CAPT C. CARTHEW - FOR CALM LEADERSHIP AND DECISIVE ACTION AS HE
    INSTILLED A SENSE OF ORDER AND CONTROL AMIDST THE SHOCK AND CHAOS OF AN UNEXPECTED AND DEVASTATING ATTACK IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 3 SEP 08

(2) CAPT S. COX - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE AND SELFLESSNESS WHILE
    MOVING THROUGH INTENSE ENEMY FIRE TO REINFORCE ISOLATED AFGHANS IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 28 JUL 08

(3) WO R.J. CRANE - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AND COURAGE IN
    LEADING AN ADVANCE FOLLOWING AN ATTACK IN ZHARI DISTRICT,
    AFGHANISTAN, 30 MAY 08

(4) WO P.J. HOLWELL - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE AND LEADERSHIP DURING TWO INTENSE COMBAT OPERATIONS IN SOUTHERN AFGHANISTAN, 2 JUN 08 AND 18 JUN 08

(5) SGT S.A. CORCORAN - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AND PROFESSIONALISM BY CONTINUING TO DIRECT HIS SOLDIERS FROM HIS
    STRETCHER AFTER BEING SHOT TWICE BY AN INSURGENT IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 2 JUN 08

(6) SGT J.R.G. DAVIDSON - FOR COURAGEOUS LEADERSHIP AND OUTSTANDING TACTICAL CONTROL OF HIS SECTION BY ENSURING THAT THE OUTPOST WAS DEFENDED WITHOUT INCURRING ANY FRIENDLY FORCE CASUALTIES DURING NINE SEPARATE INSURGENT ATTACKS IN PANJWAYI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 30 MAY TO 19 JUN 08

(7) SGT W.B. DUNPHY - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP, COURAGE AND
    DEVOTION AFTER RECEIVING A GUNSHOT WOUND TO THE LEG, MAINTAINED
    CONTROL OF HIS SECTION AND HELPED REPEL AN INSURGENT AMBUSH IN ZAHRI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 6 MAY 08

(8) SGT T.W. FLETCHER - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE AND LEADERSHIP AFTER ASSUMING COMMAND AND LEADING CANADIAN AND AFGHAN SOLDIERS IN A SUCCESSFUL FIGHTING WITHDRAWAL FOLLOWING THE DEATH OF HIS PLATOON COMMANDER IN AFGHANISTAN, 3 JUN 08

(9) SGT M.T. PRONK - FOR OUTSTANDING COMBAT LEADERSHIP,
    EXTRAORDINARY WORK ETHIC AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE WHILE PLAYING A
    CRITICAL ROLE IN MORE THAN TEN MAJOR OPERATIONS IN AFGHANISTAN, FEB TO SEP 08

(10) SGT P.D. SPRENGER - FOR COURAGEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTIONS AS HE
    LED AFGHAN SOLDIERS TO COVER AND RALLIED THEM TO ENGAGE THE ENEMY
    AFTER THE LEAD PLATOON WAS PINNED DOWN BY INSURGENT FORCES IN
    ARGHANDAB DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 18 JUN 08

(11) SGT D.A. THOMPSON - FOR DECISIVE LEADERSHIP IN IMPLEMENTING A
    SOUND EXTRACTION PLAN AND ENSURING HIS SOLDIERS MAINTAINED PERIMETER SECURITY FOLLOWING A SUICIDE BOMBER ATTACK IN PANJWAYI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 19 AUG 08

(12) MCPL J.J. BOYES - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE AND PROFESSIONALISM
    WHEN HE LAUNCHED AN ANTI-TANK WEAPON INTO AN INSURGENT POSITION,
    RESULTING IN THE SAFE WITHDRAWAL OF HIS TRAPPED COMRADES,
    AFGHANISTAN, 8 JUL 06

(13) CPL C. BUSCHE - FOR COURAGE AND SELFLESSNESS WHILE MOVING
    THROUGH INTENSE ENEMY FIRE TO REINFORCE THE ISOLATED AFGHANS, IN
    ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 28 JUL 08

(14) CPL S.D. COPELAND - FOR COURAGEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTIONS THAT
    ENSURED THE EXTRACTION OF THE SOLDIERS AND THE DEFEAT OF THE ENEMY AFTER AN INSURGENT AMBUSH IN PANJWAYI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 25 MARCH 08

(15) CPL S. CRAWFORD - FOR COURAGE AND DECISIVENESS THAT FIXED THE
    ENEMY IN PLACE UNTIL THEY WERE DEFEATED BY FIRE ASSETS, AFGHANISTAN, 8 JUL 08

(16) CPL K. FOLEY - FOR COURAGEOUS ACTION WHICH HELPED REPEL AN
    INSURGENT AMBUSH IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 6 MAY 08

(17) CPL L.C. FULLER - FOR DECISIVENESS AND DISREGARD FOR HIS
    PERSONAL SAFETY WHICH SAVED THE LIFE OF A FELLOW SOLDIER IN ZHARI
    DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 14 JUN 08

(18) CPL D. GILES - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE, SELFLESSNESS AND
    MEDICAL SKILL THAT SAVED A SERIOUSLY WOUNDED AFGHAN SOLDIER FROM A SUSPECTED MINEFIELD IN MAYWARD DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 2 AUG 08

(19) CPL D. GIRARD - FOR DECISIVE COMBAT LEADERSHIP AND AGGRESSIVE
    ENGAGEMENT OF THE ENEMY DURING AN INSURGENT AMBUSH IN ZHARI
    DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 18 JUL 08

(20) CPL N. HORBURG - FOR COURAGE UNDER FIRE AS HE PREVENTED VITAL
    EQUIPMENT FROM FALLING INTO ENEMY HANDS AND CONTRIBUTED TO THE SAFE EXTRACTION OF HIS COMRADES THROUGH SUSTAINED INSURGENT ATTACKS, AFGHANISTAN, 24 SEPT 07

(21) CPL C. KRIWEZ - FOR COURAGE AND LEADERSHIP UNDER FIRE DURING AN
    AMBUSH THAT SPLIT HIS SECTION IN TWO. HE LOCATED THE ENEMY AND
    DIRECTED EFFECTIVE FIRE, ENSURING HIS SECTION S SUCCESS DURING THE
    INTENSE THREE-HOUR ENGAGEMENT IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 14 JUN 08

(22) CPL L.A. MILLER - FOR COURAGEOUS ACTIONS WHILE UNDER ATTACK,
    WHICH HELPED REPEL AN INSURGENT AMBUSH IN ZHARI DISTRICT,
    AFGHANISTAN, 6 MAY 08

(23) CPL T.B. MYRONIUK - FOR COURAGEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTION THAT
    ENABLED HIS SECTION TO EFFECTIVELY BREAK CONTACT WITHOUT SUFFERING CASUALTIES FOLLOWING AN INSURGENT AMBUSH IN PANJWAYI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 25 MAR 08

(24) CPL C. VICKERMAN - FOR COURAGEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTIONS THAT
    ENABLED THE FIGHTING WITHDRAWAL OF TWO ANA COMPANIES IN ARGHANDAB DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 18 JUN 08

(25) CPL J. WHITE - FOR DECISIVENESS, COURAGE AND TENACITY THAT
    ENSURED THE DEFEAT OF AN ENEMY AMBUSH IN PANJWAYI DISTRICT,
    AFGHANISTAN, 5 JUL 08

(26) PTE D. BANKS - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE, DEDICATION AND
    SELFLESSNESS UNDER ENEMY FIRE THAT HELPED REPEL AN INSURGENT AMBUSH IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 6 MAY 08

(27) PTE C. KULUSKI - FOR COURAGEOUS AND SELFLESS EFFORTS VITAL TO
    THE TREATMENT AND EVACUATION OF CASUALTIES EXPOSED TO SUSTAINED
    ENEMY FIRE AND EXPLODING ORDNANCE IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 3 SEP 08

(28) PTE J. MACPHERSON - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE AND COMPOSURE UNDER DIRECT ENEMY FIRE WHILE DISARMING AN IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE, AFGHANISTAN, 7 AUG 08

(29) PTE A.B. SMALLMAN - FOR OUTSTANDING COMPOSURE AND COURAGEOUS DETERMINATION WHILE ASSISTING WITH CASUALTY EVACUATION AND PROVIDING SUPPRESSIVE FIRE FROM MULTIPLE DEFENSIVE POSITIONS DURING AN ENEMY AMBUSH IN KANDAHAR PROVINCE, AFGHANISTAN, 6 MAY 08

(30) PTE R. WARING - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE AND COMPOSURE UNDER
    FIRE WHICH ENSURED THE EXTRACTION AND DEFENCE OF CASUALTIES
    FOLLOWING AN IED BLAST IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 7 AUG 08

2. I AM ALSO PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE CF AWARDS TO THE FOLLOWING
    DESERVING INDIVIDUALS:

A. CDS COMMENDATION

(1) BGEN R. ABRAMS - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AS COMMANDING
    GENERAL OF THE US ARMY NATIONAL TRAINING CENTER FOR EXERCISE MAPLE GUARDIAN 1001 CONDUCTED AT FORT IRWIN, CALIFORNIA

(2) MAJ C.R. ADAMS - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AND PROFESSIONALISM AS COMMANDING OFFICER OF A TANK SQUADRON FROM FEB TO SEP 08 AND AS COMMANDER AND MENTOR OF EASTERN PANJWAYI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN

(3) MAJ R.R. GRIBBLE - FOR PROVIDING OUTSTANDING POLICE SUPPORT TO
    JOINT TASK FORCE AFGHANISTAN AS THE COMMANDING OFFICER OF THE
    MILITARY POLICE COMPANY, FEB TO SEP 08

(4) MAJ J.E. SHORT - FOR COMPOSURE AND GRACE UNDER FIRE WHILE
    DEPLOYED AS CHAPLAIN WITH THE OPERATIONAL MENTOR AND LIAISON TEAM, AFGHANISTAN, FEB TO SEP 08

(5) CAPT J.M. BIRD - FOR EXEMPLARY LEADERSHIP THAT ENHANCED ANSF
    CAPACITY TO SUPPORT JOINT OPERATIONS AND ENSURED OPERATIONAL SUCCESS IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, MAR TO SEP 08

(6) CAPT J. HALLETT - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AND TECHNICAL
    EXPERTISE BY PROVIDING EQUALLY OUTSTANDING ENGINEERING SUPPORT TO
    THE BATTLE GROUP, AFGHANISTAN, FEB TO SEP 08

(7) MWO A.S. BATTY - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AS THE
    SERGEANT-MAJOR OF AN ARMOURED VEHICLE SQUADRON AND FORWARD OPERATING BASE, AFGHANISTAN, FEB TO SEP 08

(8) MWO G.A. TRENHOLM - FOR OUTSTANDING PROFESSIONALISM AS A MENTOR TO AN AFGHAN NATIONAL ARMY BRIGADE AND AS THE REGIMENTAL
    SERGEANT-MAJOR OF THE OPERATIONAL MENTORING AND LIAISON TEAM,
    AFGHANISTAN, FEB TO SEP 08

(9) PO1 D.L. CURRIE - FOR DEDICATED EFFORTS AND TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
    WHILE ABOARD HMCS FREDERICTON WHICH WAS DEPLOYED TO THE HORN OF
    AFRICA IN SUPPORT OF NATO-LED COUNTER-PIRACY, NOV 09 TO FEB 10

(10) WO R.M. PERREAULT - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP IN KEEPING HIS
    TROOP BATTLE READY THROUGH THE SEVERE LOSSES EXPERIENCED DURING
    OPERATION MEDUSA, AFGHANISTAN, AUG 06 TO FEB 07

(11) WO R.W. RAFTUS - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP, DEDICATION AND
    TECHNICAL EXCELLENCE BY PROVIDING RELIABLE SUPPORT, ENSURING BATTLE GROUP S OPERATIONAL SUCCESS, AFGHANISTAN, FEB TO SEP 08

(12) WO A.M. YOUNGHUSBAND - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP, DECISIVENESS AND SELFLESSNESS WHICH HELPED WIN A FIREFIGHT WHILE UNDER INTENSE AND PROLONGED INSURGENT FIRE, AFGHANISTAN, 4 JUN 08

(13) SGT W.R.J. COOPER - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AND SUPERB
    MENTORSHIP WHICH CONTRIBUTED TO DEVELOPING THE ANA INTO A
    PROFESSIONAL FIGHTING FORCE, AFGHANISTAN, FEB TO SEP 08

(14) SGT P.A. SWEET - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AND PROFESSIONALISM AS WING CHIEF WARRANT OFFICER ASSISTANT 14 WING, FEB 2007 TO MAR 2009

(15) SGT D.A. THOMPSON - FOR OUTSTANDING CALM AND DECISIVE LEADERSHIP THAT LED THE PATROL IN A TEXTBOOK FIGHTING WITHDRAWAL AFTER BEING AMBUSHED BY INSURGENTS IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 26 MAR 08

(16) SGT M.J. VAN DER BROEK - FOR HIS COURAGE AND EXPERTISE THAT LED
    HIS TEAM THROUGH SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF OVER 50 COUNTER-IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE OPERATIONS THROUGHOUT KANDAHAR CITY, AFGHANISTAN, FEB TO SEP 08

(17) SGT K.G. VINCENT - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AND
    PROFESSIONALISM AS HE COORDINATED THE CONSTRUCTION OF A STRONGPOINT IN MAYWAND DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, MAR TO APR 08

(18) MCPL E.M. DOYLE - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP, DEDICATION AND
    COMPOSURE DURING TWO SEPARATE INCIDENTS THAT SAVED CANADIAN LIVES IN PANJWAYI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 4 APR 08

(19) MCPL K. HO - FOR COURAGEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTIONS AS AN ENGINEER DETACHMENT COMMANDER, HE ENABLED CANADIAN AND AFGHAN SOLDIERS TO WITHDRAW FROM ENEMY AMBUSHES, AFGHANISTAN, 2 JUN AND 19 JUL 08

(20) MS J.P. MARLOW - FOR DEDICATED SERVICE TO THE HALIFAX REGIONAL
    MUNICIPALITY DURING A FOREST FIRE IN THE LAKE ECHO/LAWRENCETOWN
    AREA, JUN 08

(21) MCPL M. POPE - FOR DECISIVE FRONTLINE LEADERSHIP WHICH REPELLED
    AN INSURGENT ATTACK WITHOUT INCURRING ANY FRIENDLY FORCE CASUALTIES IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 23 MAY 08

(22) MCPL T.R. WOODS - FOR DEDICATED EFFORTS AND SOLDIERING
    EXPERTISE BY PROVIDING ACCURATE MORTAR FIRE TO SUPPRESS THE ENEMY
    AND CONTRIBUTING TO THE OPERATIONAL SUCCESS OF THE STRONG POINT IN SOUTHERN AFGHANISTAN, 16 JUL TO 31 AUG 08

(23) CPL Y. COTE - FOR SELFLESS DETERMINATION WHICH ENSURED THE
    SUCCESSFUL EXTRACTION, TREATMENT AND EVACUATION OF CASUALTIES AFTER HIS VEHICLE WAS CRIPPLED BY AN IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE IN SOUTHERN AFGHANISTAN, 3 JUN 08

(24) CPL R. GOULD - FOR DECISIVE ACTIONS THAT SAVED THE LIFE OF A
    FELLOW SOLDIER FOLLOWING A SUICIDE BOMBER ATTACK IN PANJWAYI
    DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 19 AUG 08

(25) CPL R. JACKSON - FOR COURAGEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTIONS WHICH
    HELPED THE POLICE SUB-STATION REPEL AN INSURGENT ATTACK IN PANJWAYI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 23 MAR 08

(26) CPL S. LAVALLEE - FOR EXEMPLARY PROFESSIONALISM AND IMMEDIATE
    INTERVENTION THAT STOPPED TEN ANA SOLDIERS FROM BEATING A DETAINEE IN SOUTHERN AFGHANISTAN, 1 JUL 08

(27) CPL S. THOMSON - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE AND DECISIVE ACTION
    THAT SAVED THE LIVES OF AFGHAN SOLDIERS AND PREVENTED THE
    OBSERVATION POST FROM BEING OVERRUN IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 21 JUL 08

(28) CPL S.C. YAECK - FOR OUTSTANDING PRESENCE OF MIND AND MEDICAL
    TRAINING WHICH HELPED RESCUE AND REVIVE HIS UNCONSCIOUS COLLEAGUE
    AFTER A SNOWBOARDING ACCIDENT IN FERNIE, BRITISH COLUMBIA, 4 JAN 08 {this kid was a medic student here at the school when he received his award}

(29) PTE M. DAY - FOR COURAGEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTIONS IN PROVIDING
    ILLUMINATION MORTAR FIRE AND REMAINING IN POSITION FOLLOWING AN
    INSURGENT ATTACK IN PANJWAYI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 23 MAR 08

(30) PTE P.S. DUARTE - FOR OUTSTANDING COMBAT LEADERSHIP WHILE
    MENTORING AN ANA SECTION DURING SEVEN DAYS OF INTENSE COMBAT
    OPERATIONS IN MAYWAND DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 22 TO 29 MAR 08

(31) PTE K. UNDERWOOD - FOR OUTSTANDING COURAGE AND DECISIVENESS
    WHICH ENSURED THE SUCCESSFUL DEFENCE OF A STRONGPOINT AND EVACUATION OF CASUALTIES FOLLOWING AN ATTACK BY INSURGENTS IN ZHARI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN, 7 JUL 08

B. CF MEDALLION FOR DISTINGUISHED SERVICE

(1) LCOL S. BEATON (RETD) - FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP AND
    UNPARALLELED DEVOTION TO THE COLLECTION, PRESERVATION AND
    ENHANCEMENT OF CFB BORDEN S MILITARY HERITAGE AND HISTORY

(2) PTE J.J. JONES - FOR EXTRAORDINARY MILITARY SERVICE, SELFLESS SACRIFICE AND EXTRAORDINARY BRAVERY DURING THE FIRST WORLD WAR, AND PARTICIPATED GALLANTLY AT THE BATTLES OF VIMY AND PASSCHENDAELE, BEING WOUNDED IN BOTH ACTIONS, 1916 AND 1917

(3) MS. E. CASIANO - FOR HER DEVOTION AND EFFORTS AS THE NATIONAL
    TRAINING CENTER LEADING LOGISTICS PLANNER FOR EXERCISE MAPLE
    GUARDIAN 1001 AND IN SUPPORT OF THE CF AND CANADIAN GOVERNMENT S
    MISSION IN AFGHANISTAN

(4) THE OTTAWA HOSPITAL - AS A LONGSTANDING PARTNERSHIP WITH THE
    CANADIAN FORCES AND FOR OUTSTANDING SUPPORT IN HIGH QUALITY TRAUMA CARE AND SURGICAL SERVICES

3. SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP
    END OF ENGLISH TEXT

{Note: The rank of MCPL (Master Corporal) is about equivilant to an E5/E6 level. It is the first rank level in which we have had a Junior Leaders course and are expected to be able to lead troops into battle as Section Commanders or other administrative duties. We call it a "Working-Leader" rank. In other words, we get all the ****e jobs, and if it goes well, the credit goes to the Sgt, if it fails, we get the Short Stick, as it were.

Thread Information