Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Pine Bluff, AR LODD

I recieved this notification this morning:

It is with my deepest regrets that I announce the passing of Brother David Curlin. Brother Curlin succumbed to complications from injuries sustained while seriously injured at a structure fire on January 3, 2010. He leaves behind his wife, three children, mother, and father.

Brother Curlin has made the ultimate sacrifice while serving the citizens of Pine Bluff. Our condolences go out to his family, friends, and members of IAFF Local 14.

Arrangements will be forthcoming.

Ed Jaros
    President
    Arkansas Professional Fire Fighters
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Please post the arrangements Memphis.

I may be able to sneak away this week. The schedule is fairly light.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-23-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Rest easy, Brother

Rest in Peace Brother.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

http://www.ArkansasFireNews.com/

Rest in peace brother.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Rest in Peace Brother.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in peace brother.

RIP. Condolences to family, friends and dept members
    The most important task on the fireground is the one YOU have!

Very sad.

thoughts and prayers go to the family and the department.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

RIP

Prayers to the family, friends, and those that worked with him, and his department.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Default arrangements

Lt. David Curlin of the Pine Bluff, AR Fire Department and a member of IAFF Local 14, died on May 22nd from injuries sustained while fighting a commercial structure fire in January of this year.

Funeral services for Lt. Curlin will be this Friday, May 28th, 11:00am, at the Pine Bluff Community Center.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Lt. David Curlin, 40, has worked for the Pine Bluff Fire Department for 14-years. Lately, he's been in the hospital in good spirits talking and taking rehab.

Friends and family felt he was on the road to recovery, but Saturday he took a turn for the worst.

It's business as usual for the Pine Bluff Fire Department except flags flying at half staff in memory of fellow fallen firefighter Lt. Curlin.

Lt. Shauwn Howell says, "It caught all of us by surprise."

January third his department responded to a structure fire, once inside the smoke became too thick and everyone was asked to evacuate that's when a wall on the second story collapsed pinning Curlin under a beam. It took every responder using the jaws of life to free him.

Lt. Howell explains, "There have been reports he was making progress through rehab and things were going in the right direction towards recovery and an unexpected turn for the worst."

Lt. Howell worked closely with Curlin and calls him a stand up guy, husband and proud father. He says, "He got married at the fire station and he was a fire fighter through and through. I'm still taken back by it; it still has me in a state of awe if you will. It hasn't sunk in really."

Johnny Reep with the Arkansas Fallen Fifrefighters Memorial says, "We never thought this would happen because in the 5-months he's made some progress. Now it will be 95-now."

Ninety-five fallen Arkansas firefighters. Reep says a memorial at the State Capitol lacks $180,000 for completion and with Lt. Curlin gone; now there's an even stronger sense of urgency.

Reep says, "If you didn't have this the family would never know how much their loved one was appreciated. In a few years their name would be simply forgotten. I've met him before he was a wonderful guy, just an all American brother. We never thought this would happen because in the 5-months he's made progress."

Although he is gone, he will live on through his dedication and passion for the service. Howell points at his shirt and says, "That was his design, he designed that patch. He had a passion so the patch we're wearing today was his creation."

Doctors say Curlin suffered two broken arms, a broken pelvis and hip, punctured lung, broken ribs, artery damage and underwent several surgeries.

His wife works for the ambulance service in Pine Bluff.

CANDLELIGHT VIGIL:
    A candlelight prayer service will be held in Pulaski County at the Arch Street Fire Department at 9 p.m. Monday.

FUNERAL SERVICES:
    Visitation will be Thursday from 4 to 8 at Ralph Robinson and Son in Pine Bluff.
    Friday the funeral service will begin at 11 a.m. at the Pine Bluff Convention Center.
    Lt. Curlin will be buried with full honors.

Thread Information