Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Becoming a Fire Fighter in the Air force reserves?

Hello there! First post.. I'm currently Active Duty in the Air force, I"m a maintainer on fighter jets. I was thinking of getting out and becoming a Fire Fighter in the Air force Reserves, my plan was to do this all while going to school to get my proper certs to become a fire fighter in the Civilian sector.

I guess my question would be, would 4 years of Active Duty experience with being a Fire Fighter in the Reserves increase my chances or put me ahead of others when applying for a job. I know theres guys out there that have been in the Military a hell of a lot longer but, I guess I just dont want to get out of Active and be put in a position where I'm struggling to find a job. I like the Military but, staying active and not being able to retrain as a Fire Fighter is almost forcing me to get out so I can get into a career field I really want.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mo3iusone; 05-23-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mo3iusone View Post
    Hello there! First post.. I'm currently Active Duty in the Air force, I"m a maintainer on fighter jets. I was thinking of getting out and becoming a Fire Fighter in the Air force Reserves, my plan was to do this all while going to school to get my proper certs to become a fire fighter in the Civilian sector.

I guess my question would be, would 4 years of Active Duty experience with being a Fire Fighter in the Reserves increase my chances or put me ahead of others when applying for a job. I know theres guys out there that have been in the Military a hell of a lot longer but, I guess I just dont want to get out of Active and be put in a position where I'm struggling to find a job. I like the Military but, staying active and not being able to retrain as a Fire Fighter is almost forcing me to get out so I can get into a career field I really want.

Thanks in advance!

Seek out a ANG outfit and get hooked up with them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by mo3iusone View Post
    I guess my question would be, would 4 years of Active Duty experience with being a Fire Fighter in the Reserves increase my chances or put me ahead of others when applying for a job.
    Many Municipalities offer extra points on their civil service exam in exchange for active duty time; the amount of points varies. For example, the City of Philadelphia offers 10 points on both the Police and Fire test for active duty time.

Some, but not many municipalities will take your previous firefighting experience into consideration- not many "big cities" will- to them, you are a piece of meat and not a firefighter until you have successfully completed their fire training course.

Many Federal Fire Departments that employ civilians will give you extra consideration for Military Fire experience. USAF Civilian Fire Departments love ex-USAF Firefighters.

For more information on Federal and Military FF's, you should take a peek in the "Military and Federal Firefighters" forums or stop over at www.dodfire.com
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information