Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default your opinions please

Alright guys im 21, I have my Basic fire cert and emt Basic, ive been testing for a year now with different cities and im just fed up with trying and not getting a job. so ive been looking into wildland fire jobs and the Air force. "firefighter" enlistment. i know there is a lot of info if i wanted to look through all the pages but i dont wanna look through it all. so any replies to my questions would be a huge help. #1 is the air force to best service to join for firefighter mos? #2 what is the work schedule like? 24 on 24 off? how long are deployment and where do you mostly get deployed to? #3 "current or former AFFF" do you or did you like being a firefighter in the air force? would you recommend it? how long is the minimum enlistment contract? thanks for your help guys, and please no negative feed back, im just looking for info and comments that would help.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Yes
    2. 24/24 in the majority of locations with a Kelly Day every six shifts. There are other schedules being used.
    3. As long as necessary, typically not over 12 months and where ever they need you.
    4. Yes
    5. Yes, as long as you understand that actual firefighting will be the thing you do the least
    6. Four years

Forum Member

it was a great experience, they are a little behind city departments, normally do not fight much fire.

good for arff training

If you can follow rules and do not mind being owned 365 days then the service is for you

do not expect to do four years an get out and jump right into a fd becasue you have expereince, you will be in line just like you are now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    it was a great experience, they are a little behind city departments, normally do not fight much fire.

good for arff training

If you can follow rules and do not mind being owned 365 days then the service is for you

do not expect to do four years an get out and jump right into a fd becasue you have expereince, you will be in line just like you are now.
    Being "owned"? What does that mean? So what you are trying to say is that if he ends up in the fire service outside of the military, all rules go out the window. As a firefighter no matter if you are working for a city, county, federal, military etc..., arent you suppose to uphold a certain level of professionalism? If being "owned" means working your a** off to make sure the job gets done, or doing everything that is asked of you by carrying out orders from a higher power, or showing up to work on time, or maybe even putting on a uniform everyday when you go to your job, in essence, I guess we are all "owned" no matter where your career is.

Forum Member

The owned part was not directed at the firefighting job, put being in the military verses civilian

as a civililan you can walk out the front door of the fire station and keep walking if you want to verses the military when they have the time they will hunt you down.

Also, even if you are not on duty at the fire station in the military, they seem to have little stuff they want you to do,

That is what I mean by owned the own you 24 hours a day no matter what.

Some people do not realize the military is not for eveyone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    The owned part was not directed at the firefighting job, put being in the military verses civilian

as a civililan you can walk out the front door of the fire station and keep walking if you want to verses the military when they have the time they will hunt you down.

Also, even if you are not on duty at the fire station in the military, they seem to have little stuff they want you to do,

That is what I mean by owned the own you 24 hours a day no matter what.

Some people do not realize the military is not for eveyone
    i always loved working the 24.... and it always seemed to be the 24 you were running alarms or medical all night... the one where you never quite get to actually lay down in your bed... and then having to go do a bag drag the next day for 10-11 hrs; or go build a temper tent for practice... or going to paint a faded brown wall brown again because somebody needed that extra stripe... then going back in the next day for another 24...

pwnd!

Thread Information