MembersZone Subscriber

Default Folding tank alternatives - Rol-La-Tank Type II vs Snaptank

Looking for input and experiences from anybody that's used either the Snaptank or Rol-La-Tank Type II (from Fol-Da-Tank) for tanker shuttle operations. I realize that there's nothing better than the full steel rigid frame, and I'd love get one, but our tanker can't carry one right now.

So - for either the Rol-La-Tank Type II or the Snaptank: setup ease, time, and complexity? Setup on uneven terrain? Stability when tankers are dumping? Anything else? Is one of them better than the other?

We had one of the self-supporting tanks, and the thing's a piece of junk. Looking for something slightly better until such time as we can afford to get the tanker modified to accommodate a real tank.

Forum Member

Snap tank is light weight and compact, but don't plan on setting it up quickly. It took us 3 FF and 4 minutes to put one together the other night. Not too complex, but takes some coordination.

Snap tanks have a screw style plug drain. Takes longer verses to drain.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have something similar to the Snap-Tank, but I can't remember the name of it. We primarily use it as a second tank, as it takes a bit to set up. With constant practice, we're able to do it quicker, but that practice is hard to get in at times.

I've never used the Roll-a-Tank, but have talked with guys that have and didn't like the softer sides and having to get close to it or your dump valves will knock down the sides and dump half the water on the ground.

Most of the dump tank manufactures make a model that will double-fold, makign them about half the length of a normal dump tank. Is that still too big to be an option?

Forum Member

We have the Snap-Tank.

It was chosen because it fit on the space on the engine and it has the full-frame once assembled. The unit seems to be very stable - I would consider it as good as a conventional frame portable tank.

While it does take a few minutes longer to set up that a conventional portable tank it is not that bad. It is slightly more complex but that is taken care of with regular training.

We were concerned that the soft sides of something like the Rol-La-Tank or self-supporting tank not meeting our needs (sides partial collapsing while under the weight of a hard suction). We wanted the rigid sides like a convential tank so operations would be the same between the types of tanks we had.

MembersZone Subscriber

I second suggestion by Catch22. Look at a double fold aluminum. One FF can handle and makes a pretty compact package. When folded will be 1/2 the length of std tank (x30"x15"). Have a 1500gal (approx) that is 53" long when folded.

Foldatank doesn't even have an upcharge for doublefold or custom size (or for 30oz bottom material).

Thread Information