Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Contract negotiations

I am a member of a 100% volunteer fire dept that is a not for profit incorporation. We contract between two seperate towns for our funding and fire protection district. I was wonder if there are any other departments that may be in the same situation and if so how do YOU negotiate?

We used to do that, before we merged all the involved entities into a single fire district.

I don't recall that we ever had to beg to keep last year's dollar amount. We did, however, occasionally go for an increase, generally citing new construction in our coverage area or an increase in operating costs.

Since relations were cordial, we were never challenged to present black and white documentation. It was all pretty informal.

That said - get your ducks all lined up. Prepare a budget, if you don't already, including sources of income and justifiable expenditures. Unless you have a pressing need, don't go for a big bucks increase. If you do have a pressing need - document it fully.

Also - have available a detailed financial statement for your corporation for the past fiscal year. If you're already doing one, great. If not, get all your numbers together and maybe do reports for the past several years. Show them where the money goes.

I've encountered FDs that have had to deal with hostile local governments, or at least hostile individuals on those town boards. As long as you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't let them bait you.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    We used to do that, before we merged all the involved entities into a single fire district.

I don't recall that we ever had to beg to keep last year's dollar amount. We did, however, occasionally go for an increase, generally citing new construction in our coverage area or an increase in operating costs.

Since relations were cordial, we were never challenged to present black and white documentation. It was all pretty informal.

That said - get your ducks all lined up. Prepare a budget, if you don't already, including sources of income and justifiable expenditures. Unless you have a pressing need, don't go for a big bucks increase. If you do have a pressing need - document it fully.

Also - have available a detailed financial statement for your corporation for the past fiscal year. If you're already doing one, great. If not, get all your numbers together and maybe do reports for the past several years. Show them where the money goes.

I've encountered FDs that have had to deal with hostile local governments, or at least hostile individuals on those town boards. As long as you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't let them bait you.
    tree is providing good insight. In addition, todays budgets are getting tighter and tighter so make sure your your mega prepared.

Thread Information