1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    Question delete

    Please delete this thread.
    Last edited by SMCARTER333; 05-25-2010 at 08:30 PM.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Most background packages request information on anything you may have done, whether you were caught, charged, convicted, expunged, sealed, etc. These items will come up again and you need to be 100% upfront and honest about the details. I would venture to say the DUI alone may have been able to be overlooked, however, this recent criminal act is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome, if at all possible.

    Los Angeles (and California as a whole) is perhaps the toughest market to get hired in. It is extremely competitive with hundreds of candidates for each possible opening. Departments are able pick and choose the best candidate that has the clean background. Time heals many things, but not all things. This happened during your adult life, after you already received one heck of a substantial get out of jail card.

    My honest concern would be that you didn't learn from your first incident and had another significant incident shortly after. As far as training, you sound like you'd be well qualified. However, your background will be a massive hurdle to overcome. I'm not saying that it will be impossible, but I would seriously look for an alternative when things don't work out. There may be a department out there somewhere that will hire you, but it will take a lot of time and effort to find it.

    I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's my opinion, for whatever it is worth. Good luck with where ever life takes you.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    You want some advice?

    Find a different line of work.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    Most background packages request information on anything you may have done, whether you were caught, charged, convicted, expunged, sealed, etc. These items will come up again and you need to be 100% upfront and honest about the details. I would venture to say the DUI alone may have been able to be overlooked, however, this recent criminal act is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome, if at all possible.

    Los Angeles (and California as a whole) is perhaps the toughest market to get hired in. It is extremely competitive with hundreds of candidates for each possible opening. Departments are able pick and choose the best candidate that has the clean background. Time heals many things, but not all things. This happened during your adult life, after you already received one heck of a substantial get out of jail card.

    My honest concern would be that you didn't learn from your first incident and had another significant incident shortly after. As far as training, you sound like you'd be well qualified. However, your background will be a massive hurdle to overcome. I'm not saying that it will be impossible, but I would seriously look for an alternative when things don't work out. There may be a department out there somewhere that will hire you, but it will take a lot of time and effort to find it.

    I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's my opinion, for whatever it is worth. Good luck with where ever life takes you.
    I respect your honesty and I know that I have to work harder then everyone else because of this... I also know I will have to prove I have learned and changed. The more time I put between the present and this incident the better and I will continue to do good productive things along the way. It deeply upsets me that I'm even in this situation at all and have this stain on my name. Thank you for your reply

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Well put yourself in the employers shoes...Imagine you are in an interview...

    So have you ever been in trouble? Well I got a DUI a few years ago and have not done it since because it was a lapse in judgement.

    Is there anything else? Well I was with some buddies one night and long story short we stole some flat screen tv's to go in our new place.

    You may be the nicest person in the world but the background can be a huge hurdle.

    Is it impossible? No. Would I hold my breath? Probably not.

    My advise is find a volunteer department, talk to the Capt or Chief and explain to them your situation and see what they say...Whats the worst they can say...NO?

    Good Luck

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    You sound like a good kid. You sound like you have your head screwed on straight now. I'm inclined to believe every word you wrote as a matter of fact. If you were here, I would probably give you a chance to prove yourself.

    BUT, as far getting a job in a highly competitive firefighting career that prides itself on integrity, I think you screwed yourself. There will be litterally hundreds if not thousands of other applicants without a felony rap sheet. Why would they want to hire you when someone with equal qualifications is standing next to you that isn't a felon.

    Yes, it sucks but its reality. I would strongly suggest diversifying your education so you arne't limited to one unrealistic career path.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    You want some advice?

    Find a different line of work.
    I agree.

    Imagine being a Gladiator, in the Coliseum, in ancient Roman times.....figting one another to the death over three or four (or in the case of large departments, 100) positions. Blood is flying everywhere.....swords pierce skin, lop off arms, heads, fingers......Battle Axes sever heads from necks, spurting blood like a broken fire hydrant......Spears pierce fellow combatant's chest walls and internal organs.......Then, imagine waiting as the Emporer holds thumbs up (you get hired) or thumbs down (you don't get hired.....)

    This is what competing for firefighting jobs is like.

    And there are thousands of applicants who have clean, unblemished records. If I had to choose between you, with a felony record and a fire science degree (or whatever) and someone else without the record or the degree, I'm going with the clean record.

    No offense, you may be clean now, and you may regret your actions, but thumbs down to you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    You sound like a good kid. You sound like you have your head screwed on straight now. I'm inclined to believe every word you wrote as a matter of fact. If you were here, I would probably give you a chance to prove yourself.

    BUT, as far getting a job in a highly competitive firefighting career that prides itself on integrity, I think you screwed yourself. There will be litterally hundreds if not thousands of other applicants without a felony rap sheet. Why would they want to hire you when someone with equal qualifications is standing next to you that isn't a felon.

    Yes, it sucks but its reality. I would strongly suggest diversifying your education so you arne't limited to one unrealistic career path.
    I know exactly where you are coming from and talk to my buddys from school how about how many applicants there are and so on who are applying already. I believe in myself and know I have potential to be a great firefighter. I am not technically a felon though, I got a misdemeanor and plan to expunge it, so after that I would technically have no "convictions" on my record. It's all that I can do to make things a little better. I definitely will stand out from the rest, and who knows maybe my story of overcoming something so difficult and persevering will show them just how badly I want this and an extreme dedication that separates me from others. It may take me longer, but I do think and believe I can still do this. Thanks for your reply

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,242

    Default

    "Court dragged on for months and I was fortunate enough to get the charges lowered to a misdemeanor burglary charge, and plead no contest to that."


    This was the charge that will keep you off a fire department in most cities, towns, counties. Burglary is a NO-NO.

    Why would a department hire you with that charge you had plus your ohter background?

    Too many applicants who have never had any history or background and are clean as a pin will always be ahead of you in the g=hiring process.

    In my city if you turned in an application and this was on it, the application would be tossed. Even if you didn't disclose this and got to the point on the process of a background check and this came to light, it gets tossed then.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    55

    Default

    And keep in mind that not all departments do a thorough background check.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    sweetpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    331

    Default

    You can certainly give it your all. Apply everywhere and do everything you can to get hired. But, as was stated, I'd have a back up plan, because more than likely, you're not going to get hired on a reputable department. Especially as a career guy.

    You might find work as a vollie somewhere, and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. It's still firefighting. But when it comes to being paid to do this job, there are 1000's of applicants with clean records that will almost always beat out the guys with even a speeding ticket.

    So, keep trying. But try to keep your expectations low and your alternate career paths wide.

    Take care,
    Pete

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    656

    Default

    You stole the TV because there was nobody else around and you didn't think you'd get caught. Imagine a department looking at you as someone who will potentially be alone with peoples possessions and nobody else around. Do you think they want to take a risk like that? Hell no.

    Are there related fields you can still get into? Yes!

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    docflip4884's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    League City, TX
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Hey I'm sorry but I think these guys are being a little too "nice"....

    You stole from someone, period. There's nothing lower than a thief. Second you drove drunk no matter the distance or how how little you had. What if you were backing out and hit some unlucky soul as they were walking. But aparrently you felt you were justified because it was ".5" miles away and you were just a kid...who cares!

    You haven't learned your lesson, your trying to plead your case by justifying your actions. You are throwing a pity party for yourself and whats worse is you're coming here looking for sympathy. Do us all a favor and forget about the fire service, become a lawyer...since you know how to "expunge" a record.
    Doc Flip

    Engine 33 West Side

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Forget it kid. You screwed yourself of ever being a fireman unless you find some out of the way place that don't care what their members have ever done in lfe.

    Everything that you have said you did puts you out of the running for any public service job. We don't need folks like you in the job.

    As others have said, too many out there looking for jobs who have a very clean record and background.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Just wanted to check my chances of getting hired. There are two things that im concerned about. First thing is about 7 years ago someone close to me (a family member) used my info to open accounts. When I caught it there was a couple thousand dollars of debt and it was on my credit as a negative because the bills were not being paid. I contacted the police and recieved a report but did not persue it further with law enforcement because I was told by the family member that they would pay me back. I did receive the money and used it to pay off the debt. The second thing is about 2 years ago a "friend" was beginning to act differently so I became distant from him. He was arrested after a incident with his girlfriend, who I was also friends with. After he was released from jail, I got a phone call from one of the police officers that handled the initial incident stating that my "friend" signed a warrant on me saying that I took something from his home which I did not. I went to the police station (I went myself) and was finger printed, interviewed, and charged. I went to court at a later date at which time the charges were dropped. Any input will be helpful.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    The second thing is the only thing that might cause you some grief. If it says "have you been arrested" instead of "have you been convicted, it will leave with a lot of explaining to do.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Theaxemancometh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Yo Carter!! I sent you a private message!

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Theaxemancometh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfdff View Post
    Just wanted to check my chances of getting hired. There are two things that im concerned about. First thing is about 7 years ago someone close to me (a family member) used my info to open accounts. When I caught it there was a couple thousand dollars of debt and it was on my credit as a negative because the bills were not being paid. I contacted the police and recieved a report but did not persue it further with law enforcement because I was told by the family member that they would pay me back. I did receive the money and used it to pay off the debt. The second thing is about 2 years ago a "friend" was beginning to act differently so I became distant from him. He was arrested after a incident with his girlfriend, who I was also friends with. After he was released from jail, I got a phone call from one of the police officers that handled the initial incident stating that my "friend" signed a warrant on me saying that I took something from his home which I did not. I went to the police station (I went myself) and was finger printed, interviewed, and charged. I went to court at a later date at which time the charges were dropped. Any input will be helpful.
    Dayam dude!! Could you have any worse luck! I know you can't pick your family, but you can definitely pick your friends! I don't think much else needs to be said there. So kick those fools to the curb! If you want to be a firefighter, in the eyes of many BG investigators, who you hang around with is who you are! Period!! Now...you are probably a nice kid who fell into some unfortunate circumstances. Unless there is something else you're not saying in this post. Otherwise, when you start applying, be HONEST AND TRANSPARENT!! Reveal ALL...that has happened to you and let the BG investigator and the agency you're applying for sort the rest out! Most importantly, if none of this stuff is your fault, it may take some explainin' but getting a job is doable!!

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Theaxemancometh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Hey Carter! Go to the Wildland Firefighter thread. There's talk over there of some private wildland firefighting organizations. Reference our conversation earlier, you might be able to make some inroads here with a private organization.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register