Forum Member

Default indianapolis area

looking for info or recommendations for schools I should consider in the indianapolis area where I can obtain necessary firefighter and paramedic courses to prepare for a job search...any assistance would be great...thanks ahead of time...have a good day...

MembersZone Subscriber

Most departments in the Indianapolis area will require you go through their own academy upon hiring, regardless of your past experience.

But here a few I know of:
    http://www.ivytech.edu/publicsafety/index.html
    http://www.wayne.k12.in.us/esec/index.htm (Wayne Township - Indy, I know they offer a basic academy, but not sure if it's open to the public or not... They PT the heck out of their recruits and many of those not in tip top shape get injured, but it's a great program... very para-military)
    http://www.vinu.edu/cms/opencms/acad...eet_0042.html/ (Not quite in Indianapolis, but well known throughout the state)

Forum Member

great thanks for the input...I will check those programs out...would you happen to know if any of those programs are good for your marketability...or if it is worth it to attend one...

thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, most of the departments in the Indianapolis area will send you to an academy regardless of your experience. You could have been a FF for 15 years at a neighboring dept and you'll have to go through the basic academy again.

Most depts in the area use a written test that is basic general knowledge based (i.e. no FF tactics necessary), the CPAT, maybe an aerial climb... [everything up to this point is pass/fail] and then an oral interview. The oral interview is usually what determines 100% of your ranking. You can have all the certs and classes in the world and if you can't interview well, you'll never get hired. Personally, I would invest your time in preparing for your oral interview and start the process NOW. Once you get the process started, if you want to take classes along the way, it definitely won't hurt.

I know the Vincennes program will take about two years and you'll end up with a lot of certs (Strategies & Tactics, HAZMAT, for example) and training (extrication, confined space, etc.). But if you still can't pass an oral, you won't be working as a career firefighter. This stuff will help once you're hired and make the academy easier, but won't necessarily get you hired alone.

Forum Member

once again thanks for your response...I am going to patiently wait until a hiring process in the area opens and I intend to apply and see where it takes me...I am currently a reserve in the USCG and additionally served 4 years active duty...I have alot of random experiences that could potentially apply I guess...

there is only one way to find out I suppose and that is try for it and see where it takes me...

thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber

If you need any suggestions along the way, let me know and I'll try and help out when I can. Are you currently in the Indy area? Check out:

http://www.indianafiretrucks.com/

They have a very comprehensive list of the depts in the surrounding area. You can find out a little bit about them too.

Forum Member

yes I am in the indy area...

thanks for the website...

I have actually been checking regularly for info on IFD hiring...it seems that it has been a bit since they have recruited, would you happen to know how often they open a process?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know when IFD will open hire again. With all the acquisitions of the townships they have been doing lately, they are quite fully staffed. According to this thread (I suggest you subscribe so you get updates... an IFD guy checks it often):

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89113 (Indianapolis Application Process 2007)

They have a current list that's good for about 18 months, but hiring is on hold indefinitely.

I would look into the suburbs. I know Westfield is planning to open a new station within the next year, so they will probably need to hire for that. Not sure if they have a current list or not. I heard Pike was taking applications somewhat recently (may be closed now?). Check around. Even with the economy the way it is, people are still moving to the 'burbs, so more houses are being built and thus more FFs are needed. Not as crazy as it was, but still some hiring going on.

Most depts around run a process every two years, but a lot either extended old lists or cancelled processes due to the economy. Personally, I would contact every FD in the Indy area and fill out an interest card or pre-application. Most departments have been in a hiring freeze (or slowed down substantially) the last couple years and now that things are stabilizing, they need to hire people to replace retirements.

Thread Information