Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Gotta Love Wal-EE World

Wal-Mart employee foils a shoplifter — and loses her job

By Carrie Rengers, The Wichita Eagle May 25, 2010

WICHITA, Kan. — Heather Ravenstein tried to save Wal-Mart some money Friday by foiling a shoplifter's plan to steal a $600 computer, but it cost her her job.

"I'm a single mom, and I don't know what I'm going to do," says Ravenstein, who is 30.

She has worked at a Wichita Wal-Mart for almost two years, most recently as a customer service manager.

Friday night around 10:20, she was standing near some registers when she saw a man with a computer coming up the main walkway of the store.

"Action Alley is what they call it," she says.

"He was walking rather fast, so it caught my eye."

Ravenstein says the man kept walking and set off an alarm. She went after him.

"Let me see your receipt, and then I'll take this off for you," she told the man, referring to a sensor on the computer.

Ravenstein says the man refused and kicked her.

"And then he punched me in my shoulder, and then he finally gave up and just let go of the computer."

Ravenstein walked back into the store and sat on the floor.

"I was shaking pretty bad," she says.

Assistant store managers immediately checked on her.

"They all came out and made sure I was OK," Ravenstein says. "They thanked me."

The next day, about two hours before her shift was over, Ravenstein says an assistant manager asked to speak with her. He then told her it's against Wal-Mart policy for anyone but a manager or someone in asset protection to try to stop a customer from stealing.

"He said there's really no gray area," Ravenstein says. "It just goes straight to termination."

She was told to turn in her badges and keys.

"I was in shock at first," Ravenstein says. "I didn't think anything like this would happen."

Nor did she know about the policy, Ravenstein says.

"I've never heard of it."

She says she has stopped people for forging payroll checks on more than one occasion.

"They never once said, 'You're not supposed to be doing that."'

When asked about the situation, Wal-Mart spokeswoman†Anna Taylor†e-mailed this response:

"While we appreciate her intentions, Ms. Ravenstein's actions put her safety — and perhaps the safety of our customers — in jeopardy and, in the process, violated company policy as it pertains to how we treat people in our stores. As an unfortunate result of these circumstances, Ms. Ravenstein is no longer employed by our company."

Ravenstein filed for unemployment Monday.

"The main thing is I'm worried about my son," Ravenstein says of 4-year-old TJ.

She says she'd like to go to school to work in the medical field, perhaps as a nurse.

She wants "a career, not just a job."

For now, though, Ravenstein says she simply needs to make money, and it's not likely to be in retail.

"After this experience, no. Probably not."

© Copyright (c) McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
    ===

There are more than 25 comments at:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/wo...486/story.html

Forum Member

Ok, I'm boycotting Wal-EE World.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

In reality, you are boycotting China, our countries mortgage holder!!!

Why punish a company for following it's policies?

If she had been seriously hurt....would cause problems for the company.
    If she had been killed...would cause problems for the company.
    If someone else had been hurt/killed due to her actions...would cause problems for the company.

Please tell me what item in ANY STORE is worth your life?

My wife works in a bank. She knows full well if someone wants the money, give it to them. She is more important than anything in that bank.

I will not fault a company that sees the bigger picture.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

If she were union, the chances are she'd still be an employee.

Most labor contracts have "just cause" language when it comes to terminations; most arbitrators would ever sustain a discharge under the circumstances described.
    "Did you check under the bed?" -- Judge Crater, 1930

Forum Member

Wal EE world like most other large retailers also make you sign an ethics policy stating that you will report and deter stealing. What all did she do. I think it is unjust that she got fired. But the laws are also very specific on this. You have to visual see the person take the item, visual see them at all times and visually see them leave the store. She could have got herself alone in some serious legal trouble. I have been told by many people I know that work at Wal-mart that I didn't need to worry about paying for anything. Just walk in and take it because they do not stop anyone for anything. Although every time I go in there (which is only about 3 times a year now because I hate that place) my FD pager sets the alarm off. They do ask me to stop but I don't. That sh** gets old after awhile.

She sounds like a good person. Hopefully she will find another job.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've heard of this happening in other businesses. I believe the driving force behind this is, as usual, liability. If an employee is injured or worse trying to stop a thief, they or their families could sue. In addition, if a bystander is injured, lawsuits could get pretty serious.

Ya. Liability. No one wants to get involved, and no one wants to be "responsible". And then when someone does the "Good-Deed", he/she gets the short shaft. Great "Western Society", eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ya. Liability. No one wants to get involved, and no one wants to be "responsible". And then when someone does the "Good-Deed", he/she gets the short shaft. Great "Western Society", eh?
    Not true at all. There are specific people to get involved. She was not one of them.

Kind of like letting a cop take over your firetruck. Or the guy walking down the street grabbing a hose and going in. Right person for the right job.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Not true at all. There are specific people to get involved. She was not one of them.

Kind of like letting a cop take over your firetruck. Or the guy walking down the street grabbing a hose and going in. Right person for the right job.

Actually Bones, I wasn't thinking so much about the specfics of the original story as I, but more in line with Bryans comments, in a more general sense. True to you, there are "Store-Cops" who are responsible for shopping theft security.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    In reality, you are boycotting China, our countries mortgage holder!!!
    Actually the closest Wall EE World to my house is a good bit away and Target is just a tad closer.

Forum Member

Or offering to deactivate an active anti theft device for a legitimate customer as the lady was assuming the thief to be.Was that the wrong action to take?
    Punishing an employee for trying to help a customer and ending up foiling a robbery doesn't exactly inspire loyalty to the company.I know that they don't want anyone jumping to conclusions about what someone is walking around with their hands in their pockets or getting hurt when the robber turns out to be on his third strike and looking at life in jail over a $5.00 item but if someone is punished for doing what they thought was their job,why would anyone bother doing it to begin with?
    Don't you have experiences at Wally World where no one seemed to give a red rat's backside?Punishing people for things they do that they thought was right could be the cause of it.
    You don't keep the top people in any field if you punish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

Last edited by doughesson; 05-27-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    Actually the closest Wall EE World to my house is a good bit away and Target is just a tad closer.
    Target(pronounced "Tar zhay") is French owned.Do we even want to go there?

Talking

a red rat's backside
    Doug does that make him a Johnny Reb Rat?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Or offering to deactivate an active anti theft device for a legitimate customer as the lady was assuming the thief to be.Was that the wrong action to take?
    Punishing an employee for trying to help a customer and ending up foiling a robbery doesn't exactly inspire loyalty to the company.I know that they don't want anyone jumping to conclusions about what someone is walking around with their hands in their pockets or getting hurt when the robber turns out to be on his third strike and looking at life in jail over a $5.00 item but if someone is punished for doing what they thought was their job,why would anyone bother doing it to begin with?
    Don't you have experiences at Wally World where no one seemed to give a red rat's backside?Punishing people for things they do that they thought was right could be the cause of it.
    You don't keep the top people in any field if you punish them.
    Well actually part of what she did is illegal. It is called battery. Not so much the act of asking but grabbing the laptop or the person is the battery part. She could ask all she wanted but she could only ask and nothing else.

Again she should not have been fired in my opinion. Possibly warned not to do it again would have been good enough.

Snopes.com states that; "Target is not now, nor has it ever been, foreign owned. (A French-based financhial institution, AXA, holds about 42 million shares of Target stock, but that holding constitutes less than 2% of Target Corporation's outstanding shares.) "

Forum Member

Talking

Not unless I really have to....

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Snopes.com states that; "Target is not now, nor has it ever been, foreign owned. (A French-based financhial institution, AXA, holds about 42 million shares of Target stock, but that holding constitutes less than 2% of Target Corporation's outstanding shares.) "
    Now there you go using those pesky little ghngs called FACTS. How daaaaaaaaaaaaaare you?!?!?!?!

Now, for truth in corporations, The French government owns about 12% of the automaker Renault. Renault in turns owns about 40% of Nissan Motors.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/COMP...NCE/RENAULT03/
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 05-28-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Exclamation

Take your pick.......

vite walmart

visser walmart

tornillo de walmart

schraube walmart

Oh, I still dread anytime I have to go to either a Wal-Mart or Target. I like to shop local.

The issue at hand, stopping shoplifters... when I briefly worked at Home Depot I was scolded for chasing down a shoplifter in the parking lot. I was coming back in from lunch and this dude comes sprinting out of the store with a couple of Dewalt sets, setting off the alarms, get away car pulling up.

I think what saved my ***** was that I was less than a year back from Iraq, and nobody there had the balls to tell a combat vet not to do "the right thing."

But most store rules are based on it is easier (more cost effective) to replace an item than pay compensation to an employee that gets jacked trying to stop a shoplifter.

Thread Information