Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Three on Atlanta fire chief list

A day after announcing three candidates for Atlanta police chief, Mayor Kasim Reed on Wednesday narrowed his choices to three for Atlanta Fire Rescue Department chief.

The list of finalists comes after a three-month national search conducted by an appointed search committee and executive search firm Boardwalk Consulting.

Reed and Atlanta Chief Operating Officer Peter Aman individually interviewed five candidates and then narrowed the list down to three: Joel Baker, Kelvin Cochran, and Brenda Nishiyama Willis.

Baker is Atlantaís interim Atlanta Fire Rescue chief. He has more than 22 years of fire service experience. He is experienced in all phases of fire services including: fire fighting, emergency medical services, hazardous materials/technical rescue, recruiting, EEOC/internal affairs, research and development, and performance evaluation and administration, specializing in Homeland Security and emergency preparedness.

Cochran, is the current U.S. Fire Administrator for the United States Fire Administration in Washington, D.C. The 20-year fire service veteran also was Fire Chief of Atlanta from 2008-2009 before being appointed by President Barack Obama to serve as the U.S. Fire Administrator. He also has served as fire chief of Shreveport, La. Willis, Atlanta Fire and Rescue Department, Atlanta, GA

Willis has more than 32 years of fire service experience and more than 29 years of experience with the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department. She currently manages airport field commands and airport operations, develops and implements department-wide plans, policies and goals, and oversees interdepartmental relations.

Read more: Three on Atlanta fire chief list - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Forum Member

Ok, I'm confused.

Cochran leaves Shreveport for ATL.

He stays in ATL for one year and the gets tapped for the USFA post.

Now he wants back in ATL?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Ok, I'm confused.

Maybe he felt like Atlanta was a pretty good gig, sees this administration's future, figures he will need a job in 2012, and is hoping to pull a 'Dallas' moment and wake up in the shower acting like the last year never happened.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I think the guy is showing great strategic vision of the future. He see's he is going to need a new job in late 2012 and is making plans now. That's what great leaders do, plan for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirited76 View Post
    A day after announcing three candidates for Atlanta police chief, Mayor Kasim Reed on Wednesday narrowed his choices to three for Atlanta Fire Rescue Department chief.

The list of finalists comes after a three-month national search conducted by an appointed search committee and executive search firm Boardwalk Consulting.

Reed and Atlanta Chief Operating Officer Peter Aman individually interviewed five candidates and then narrowed the list down to three: Joel Baker, Kelvin Cochran, and Brenda Nishiyama Willis.

Baker is Atlanta’s interim Atlanta Fire Rescue chief. He has more than 22 years of fire service experience. He is experienced in all phases of fire services including: fire fighting, emergency medical services, hazardous materials/technical rescue, recruiting, EEOC/internal affairs, research and development, and performance evaluation and administration, specializing in Homeland Security and emergency preparedness.

Cochran, is the current U.S. Fire Administrator for the United States Fire Administration in Washington, D.C. The 20-year fire service veteran also was Fire Chief of Atlanta from 2008-2009 before being appointed by President Barack Obama to serve as the U.S. Fire Administrator. He also has served as fire chief of Shreveport, La. Willis, Atlanta Fire and Rescue Department, Atlanta, GA

Willis has more than 32 years of fire service experience and more than 29 years of experience with the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department. She currently manages airport field commands and airport operations, develops and implements department-wide plans, policies and goals, and oversees interdepartmental relations.

Knowing two of these, Cochran and Willis both slugs, I vote for Joel Baker. The better of the three!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    Maybe he felt like Atlanta was a pretty good gig, sees this administration's future, figures he will need a job in 2012, and is hoping to pull a 'Dallas' moment and wake up in the shower acting like the last year never happened.
    When did Patrick Duffy become a firefighter?

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    When did Patrick Duffy become a firefighter?
    In 1997 in the Made for TV Movie Heart of Fire (which IIRC was VERY loosly based around an actual incident in Auckland, NZ back around 1990 best I can remember & google).

Made for television, Heart of Fire stars Patrick Duffy as Max Tucker, a veteran firefighter who has seen so much in his lifetime that he regards himself immune to the tragedies and heartaches of the world. Tucker's cynicism is put to the test when he tries to save a little girl named Katy (Alex McKenna), trapped beneath a burning tanker. Though the other firefighters have given up the girl for dead, Tucker puts his own life on the line in hopes of pulling off an "impossible" rescue--and restoring his faith in miracles. Produced by Arnold Shapiro of Rescue 911 fame, Heart of Fire (cable TV title: The Tanker Incident) first aired January 7, 1997 on CBS. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
    Source: http://www.fandango.com/patrickduffy/filmography/p20411

Edit - I was correct
    Based on the true story of New Zealand firefighter Royd Kennedy, whose heroism made headlines round the world in 1990 when he crawled under a blazing oil tanker in Manukau City, Auckland, New Zealand to rescue a young girl trapped in the inferno.
    Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119267/trivia
    Last edited by N2DFire; 05-27-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Found more info
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And...........

Agreed - Chief Cochran is an able administrator with great credentials who will need a job in a couple of years. I also agree that Chief Baker has, by all accounts, done a great job so far. Prior to reading this thread, I'd never heard of Chief Willis. Using Murphy's Law of Personnel Selection, My Money is on Chief Willis.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Agreed - Chief Cochran is an able administrator with great credentials who will need a job in a couple of years. I also agree that Chief Baker has, by all accounts, done a great job so far. Prior to reading this thread, I'd never heard of Chief Willis. Using Murphy's Law of Personnel Selection, My Money is on Chief Willis.....

I agree that Willis will probably get it, but prefer Cochran going back if I had a choice and had to work for the department. He did a good job as Chief when he had the reins. Cochran needs to find himself a job, as his present one will be gone once the current potus is not returned in 2012.

Forum Member

Default Cochran Wants Fire Chief Job Back in Atlanta

http://www.firefighterhourly.com/fir...n-atlanta.html

Cochran Wants Fire Chief Job Back in Atlanta
    Kelvin Cochran, who oversaw a tumultuous period in the Atlanta Fire Department before departing now wants his job back. He is one of the finalists as Mayor Kasim Reed attempts to fill fire and police vacancies.

Atlanta has a chance to make history as a 32 year veteran of the department is also up for the position. Brenda Nishiyama Willis is the solid choice to lead the department, Unlike Cochran, who is synonymous with cuts, Chief Willis would bring fresh air to the position.

Further, if Reed is truly inclusive, he would give someone who has spent their working life in the department a chance rather than going with someone who has bounced around according to some firefighters.

We will have more on this tonight.

Banned

Ok, I'm confused.

Just another case of a guy who thinks the grass is greener. In the end they all find out the job they have isn't all that bad after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I agree that Willis will probably get it, but prefer Cochran going back if I had a choice and had to work for the department. He did a good job as Chief when he had the reins. Cochran needs to find himself a job, as his present one will be gone once the current potus is not returned in 2012.
    You REALLY think we're THAT lucky? That the Annointed one won't RETURN? T.C.

Talking Wellllllll...................

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    You REALLY think we're THAT lucky? That the Annointed one won't RETURN? T.C.

My Buddy Tim, The Winner of the "Tongue-in-Cheek Statement of the Week" Award.............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spirited76 View Post

Baker is Atlantaís interim Atlanta Fire Rescue chief. He has more than 22 years of fire service experience. He is experienced in all phases of fire services including: fire fighting, emergency medical services, hazardous materials/technical rescue, recruiting, EEOC/internal affairs, research and development, and performance evaluation and administration, specializing in Homeland Security and emergency preparedness.

100% chance Cochran gets it....slam dunk....

Forum Member

Well Kelvin is back in ATL.

I guess Cochran could see the light as the USFA and thought he better make a change while he could.

Post Yeah.......

Well Kelvin is back in ATL.

Who do you think will get the USFA Spot?? I turned it down on Monday.....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information