Thread: Grant Writer?

Forum Member

Default Grant Writer?

Good morning-

I'm hoping you all could help me - I had a couple questions.

1) Has anyone found that hiring a grant writer has made their FEMA grant applications more successful?
    2) What does a grant writer cost?

Thank you very much for any help you can offer! Good luck to everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

There is probably no doubt that the best grant writer for a department is someone from within the department itself. The problem is they often times do not understand the rules or know how to use the skills they currently possess in order to be successful; they need proper training which, as many in here will state, is not hard to find. I have found that when you couple your intimate knowledge of your department and community with the skills of a professional consultant that truly knows the "fire act grants" ( and there is a big difference here), the results are usually very positive. There are a lot of people in here who have learned that lesson from several of us who do this for a living. The costs are very reasonable considering the return on investment that you get ( 100:1 or better) just ask anyone here. Glad to talk with you about it if you give me a shout.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I went to one of KTB9780's conferences this year and then hired him as a consultant. All I can say is that I could not possibly be happier, it was well worth the time and money spent! I would highly recommend this combination local / professional approach as he is saying above. It results in a good mix of locally specific information yet still hits the points FEMA is looking for. I can tell you I think the applications filed this year are the best ever filed by my agencies. I would also like to second Kurt's statement about Fire Act specific writers, we have used a local company in the past, they charge more and just don't understand the Fire Act / FEMA system. I known there are others on here also very well qualified for Fire Act stuff, and would do a good job as well. However my experience is limited to working with Kurt and I can say enough good!

Forum Member

Host one of his seminars in your hometown, and that gives him even more insight into your situation. I got lucky, and the next city over from me had him in for a seminar, so he got to take a look at my city and I did not have to deal with any floods, snow or any of the other fun stuff.

Forum Member

My department sent me and another guy to one of Kurt's seminars in Philadelphia, PA about 3 or 4 years ago. It was the best money our department has ever spent. We had been succesful one time through AFG and several small local grant programs before attending this seminar. Since then we have been doing very well with grants. I would estimate in the last 3 years we are in the $750,000-$1,000,000 dollar club for grants. Our department is very small and gets very little support from local government and $0.00 from taxes. So Grants are our livelyhood along with fundraisers. As we all know you can only hold so many Bingo's and breakfasts, and ticket raffles before you get burnt out. So we have been lucky and I would highly recommend going to one of Kurt's seminars.
    Nick Cook
    Biglerlville Hose & Truck Co #1 - Assistant Fire Chief
    Bendersville Community Fire Co -FF/EMT-B/ Grant Administrator

Forum Member

hof,

Your posting here is the perfect first step. I was desperate, my department desperate and had no idea where to turn. I ended up searching through firefighting websites, found Kurt Bradley and took a chance and called him. He spent a lot of free time with me over the phone in the middle of the acutal application period. I knew I was way in over my head after reading the guidelines and signed up for Kurts seminar.

If you call Kurt, who already responded to you here already, he can explain everything.

(I should provide a phone number). I will in a following post.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    hof,

Your posting here is the perfect first step. I was desperate, my department desperate and had no idea where to turn. I ended up searching through firefighting websites, found Kurt Bradley and took a chance and called him. He spent a lot of free time with me over the phone in the middle of the acutal application period. I knew I was way in over my head after reading the guidelines and signed up for Kurts seminar.

If you call Kurt, who already responded to you here already, he can explain everything.

(I should provide a phone number). I will in a following post.
    Jim you never answered me. “LONG TIME NO SEA”??? Well it is down to 26 minutes. I hope it goes better than last year. I can’t complain though, I did get 64 grant for Comm. eq. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Jim you never answered me. “LONG TIME NO SEA”??? Well it is down to 26 minutes. I hope it goes better than last year. I can’t complain though, I did get 64 grant for Comm. eq. Good luck to all.
    I removed Nebraska temporarily to emphasize my lamentation over missing being on the saltwater all the time.
    Long Time No Sea is a play on the famous greeting, and which I dound on a Hallmark card that had a farmer looking at the horizon while standing on a boat dock in a cornfield.

I think about that card a lot. Unfortunately.

MembersZone Subscriber

I removed Nebraska temporarily to emphasize my lamentation over missing being on the saltwater all the time.
    Long Time No Sea is a play on the famous greeting, and which I dound on a Hallmark card that had a farmer looking at the horizon while standing on a boat dock in a cornfield.

OOOOK. I got it, I think. What do you think my chances are on getting communication equipment grant two years in a row? Asked for P-25 mobiles and RCS for our SCBA’s and a 700 Meg. to VHF bridge so we can talk to the state & Feds using our repeater. We tested the RCS from a department that has some in there mask and I was amazed at how clear there voice was over the radios. We had a few close calls were I couldn’t talk to the attack team. Things were going downhill fast and they could not see it where they were. I could not get them to answer me and I hate it when that happens. I knew it has to be a better way.
    How did your Regional grant go? Got everything done? We had one written for our county and a chief jumped up and said that his department would host it. I remember what you said about the work involved in it. I sat down and shut up and just laughed. I know I didn’t want to volunteer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Jim we all may be saying that on the Gulf Coast with BPs huge fiasco out there off Lousisiana. Pray we don't get any ealry Hurricanes rearing their head inthe Gulf or even Jones Beach at Coney Island coudl be reeking in this goo.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Things to remember about choosing a Grant Writer! There are alot of good ones out there as well as alot of bad ones!!!! So do your homework and check into them and ask for references and talk to those companies, and read this Forum and you will find out who can help you!!! I have spoke to Kurt and have hosted Brian for the last 4 years and they have both been a great help to our small company. So do yourself a favor and ask around because there are alot of others who are also great at writing and helping companies. And read this Forum because there is alot of great input that is shared here!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    OOOOK. I got it, I think. What do you think my chances are on getting communication equipment grant two years in a row? Asked for P-25 mobiles and RCS for our SCBA’s and a 700 Meg. to VHF bridge so we can talk to the state & Feds using our repeater. We tested the RCS from a department that has some in there mask and I was amazed at how clear there voice was over the radios. We had a few close calls were I couldn’t talk to the attack team. Things were going downhill fast and they could not see it where they were. I could not get them to answer me and I hate it when that happens. I knew it has to be a better way.
    How did your Regional grant go? Got everything done? We had one written for our county and a chief jumped up and said that his department would host it. I remember what you said about the work involved in it. I sat down and shut up and just laughed. I know I didn’t want to volunteer.
    I think your chances are pretty good, IF you explain it in detail WHY you need the additional equipment. Tell them you need additions because you discovered a need that was not covered before or that your department/departments acquired additional equipment or the other departments gave your wrong details or figures.

So yes, I think it is fundable as long as it is explained why within the narrative.

No I am not done. Our three repeaters showed up two months early. My nuclear plant had personnel changes so ran into delays installing a repeater there. They want to do all these tests and impact studies that tie into installing the repeater. Have had two conference calls with them. Found out that Verizon is installing similar equipment and that the nuke plant took 180 man hours to do just the enviromental impact study. These people cant see the trees due to the forest sometimes. Actually it has more to do with crossing lines of responsibility within the telecom, emergency prepardness, legal and the fire brigade. God. So Island fire was right. Otherwise I have all the other tower agreements arranged. Am thinking strongly about putting the repeater on a tall grain silo instead of the plant. A lot less grief.
    Last edited by jam24u; 06-04-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Thread Information