Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default best intense fitness class or program?

I'm 5'7 and 150 lbs and will certainly have a challenge ahead of me if I pass the upcoming oral interview.

I'm already getting exercise but I really need something better to get ready for Fire Academy.

What fitness programs should I look into?

Thanks a bunch!

Yo "Schlock"...you didn't mention what department you're testing for and have you inquired as to what they have on their physical agility?? i.e. Biddle or CPAT. Once you know what type of events are on your physical agility test, it will serve you better in terms of knowing what and how you need to tailor your workouts. It goes without saying that most physical agility tests are going make your legs, upper body and cardiovascular systems absolutely vomit!!

Now there are a myriad of workout programs out there like P90X, INSANITY, ect... Not that those are not good workouts, because they definitely cut you up and slap the sh*t out of your heart and lungs. But, firefighters need a very specific workout, with very specific focal points; and this is where it differs from conventional workouts. Soooooooo.......I said all that to say, find out what type of agility you might be taking. Perhaps talking to so other firefighters in the area that may have recently tested for that department may be of some help and then base your workouts on those events. If it's CPAT, I know it costs $150. For that amount you get the test and 2 orientations. It's $25 extra for a practice run. Good Luck and let me know how it works out for you!!
    Last edited by Theaxemancometh; 05-30-2010 at 10:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like Axe said, find out the type of physical agility tests you'll be testing on. Design a workout incorporating those elements. One of the biggest things that knocks a lot of people out is having to do the physical agility test with the weight vest on. It really takes it's toll on you. If you can borrow (or afford to purchase) one, start doing circuit training while wearing the vest.

I do parts of P90X (not like I should... sorry Tony Horton) and it's an awesome workout. A lot of the guys in my area are doing P90X in addition to a "job skills" workout. In the morning, we put on our full turnouts and go on air and then do some of the following tasks: pull stuff off top shelves of the truck, climb stairs carrying hose rolls, pull tools up to the second story, crawl under things, "chop" a stump with a sledge hammer, raise ladders, etc. Then in the afternoon we do P90X.

Forum Member

I'm in the middle of the 2 month Insanity work out and I love it. Although, like the two men before me stated the most important thing IMO will be to train with the weight vest, and to work out your legs. It's all about legs, legs, legs. Squats, lunges, squat press, straight legged dead lifts, do all of them once a week. Depending where you are with your cardio stamina, and how much time you have left between now and the start of your academy I would recommend doing Insanity (2 month program) and then start to throw in some weight work outs (but the only day that is strictly deadicated to lifting would be your "leg day"). For each other work out day do some weight lifting (you can't just ignore the rest of your body muscles either), but make sure you always spend at least 25 minutes doing some sort of cardio exercise (whether it's one of the Insanity DVDs again, or walking a step mill with the vest on). Good luck on your interview!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by schlock View Post
    I'm 5'7 and 150 lbs and will certainly have a challenge ahead of me if I pass the upcoming oral interview.

I'm already getting exercise but I really need something better to get ready for Fire Academy.

What fitness programs should I look into?

Thanks a bunch!
    The best way to prepare is to do it yourself. The only thing you need is to know the requirements. I've written research paper on this topic.

Forum Member

Find out what the physical ability test will be and what physical training you will do at the academy. Then do the same movements that they entail. If they run daily at the academy then you should too.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

I for 1 year have dumped 6 kg, the program washing consisted in the eutrophy, any calories and exercises on a press, run and swimming.
    Last edited by juli888; 07-12-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Forum Member

If you want to join a force then you go into Gym and daily workout over there that makes you more fit.

The best fitness program is the one you personally will stick with that meets your fitness goals. Find a good gym for formal training and talk to a trainer about what programs meet your goals. Then find a recreational activity that will encourage you to exercise outside of the gym as well. (For me, it's bicycling.)
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information