Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Cool WSI/Wackenhut Contract Firefighter Process.

My Process:
    Sunday - 23may2010 @ 1100 (E-Mailed resume to WSI)
    Sunday - 23May2010 @ 1900 (E-mail from WSI Stating I should recieve a packet in the meal next week or two)

What I have Gathered from other users:

MEDICAL:

Medical Physical goes very indept. May cost upto 1K (should be reimburst on a future pay check(keep recipt) And you are required to get a phisical yearly)

PLANE TICKET:

Wsi pays your way to Houston,to your assignment, and back home EOC(end of contract)
    If you go anywhere during R&R your responsible for the cost of the ticket up front. (Save all recipts and tickets WSI may reimburse up to $800 on a later pay check)

PHISICAL AGILITY TEST:

The agility test is in Houston and consists of 2 min of push ups 2min of sit ups a 50 yrd run and a 50 yrd firemans carry.

PACKING:

Pack light - For the love of God, if you don't pay attention to anything else on this forum, get this one through your thick skull. Enough clothes for 5 days in Houston. Weather varies by time of year. It CAN get cool in winter, unless of course you're Nanook of the North. Most of the crap on the packing list is worthless. ANY of it that is uniform type stuff (presuming they still haven't updated the list) you can skip. You'll get a FULL uniform issue in Houston. As for non-uniform clothing for in country, a couple of shirts, a pair of jeans, a pair of shorts is about all you'll need. When you pack in Houston to fly to Dubai, anything over your max weight or that won't fit in whatever luggage you have, you can mail home and have someone send you if you need it once you arrive in country.

Toiletries - Definitely enough for the time in Houston plus a couple days in Dubai. Once you get in country, you'll be at F2 (Victory/Liberty) for a week minimum. You can buy anything else you need at PX (local wal-mart...lol).

PAY:

The hourly rate for FF's is $17.79. For the first 40 hours each week (IN country), you'll get 75% uplifts, making the hourly rate for those 40 hours $31.13. That's $1245.20. You'll NORMALLY get anywhere from 84 to 112 hours per week total, depending on assignment/manning levels. Dispatch, for example is 84 hours a week. The MOST NORMAL week is 96 hours (6 X 16's). Using a 96 hour work week, after the 40 hours with uplifts, you'll then have 56 hours at $17.79, for a total of $996.24. Add that to the uplift amount, and you have $2241.44 for the week, or $4482.88 for a two week pay period, both weeks bein 96 hours. That's the gross amount, of course. I'm not gonna bother to do the tax breakdown (yes, there ARE taxes taken out even if you don't elect to have full taxes taken out, just a lesser amount).

HOUSTION, TX:

In Houston, you'll be in one of three (most likely one of two) hotels. Your whole group will be in the same hotel.

The two most common hotels WSI folks stay in are right across from the processing center, which is in a mall. A crappy, rundown mall.

Your meals are free at the processing center, and the food isn't horrible. It's nothing to write home about, but it doesn't suck. You'll want to go out at least one night while you're in town and get a good meal somewhere. You're going to be gone for 4 months, give or take a bit. Enjoy one last good meal. There are a few places within easy walking distance of the hotels, and plenty more in not-too-expensive-cab-ride distance. You may get lucky and be able to get the hotel shuttle drivers to take you places. You can also rent a car to get around while you're there.

CONTRACT:

Year long contract. After Contract is up You have the option of resigning within 14 days.
    You get 10 days leave(Vacation) every 120 Days(4 months)
    If you resign you get 30-42 days off before your wheels up again

PHONE INTERVIEW:

Have a copy of your resume in front of you. The interviewer will more or less go over it, talking about your experience.

Other questions will probably be about how your family feels about you coming over, making sure you understand it's a war zone.
    Last edited by tnharwell; 05-31-2010 at 08:45 PM.
    Joshua Harwell
    Firefighter/Engineer

Forum Member

Cool

If there is anything left out feel free to Include. I'm still in process. these are question which I have had answered.
    Joshua Harwell
    Firefighter/Engineer

Forum Member

Cool

Still need info on medical exam (phisical)

Houston, TX

The long flight to victory/liberty

does wsi provide roud trip transportation back home or to the states for 10 days off after 120(understanding days may vary)?

feel free to touch on any of these or any other topic.
    Joshua Harwell
    Firefighter/Engineer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tnharwell View Post
    Still need info on medical exam (phisical)

Houston, TX

The long flight to victory/liberty

does wsi provide roud trip transportation back home or to the states for 10 days off after 120(understanding days may vary)?

feel free to touch on any of these or any other topic.
    The physical is very in depth and can cost you anywhere from nothing to over 1K depending on what your insurance will cover and where you get it at. Bring an itemized receipt to Houston and they will reimburse you on a future check.

The flight is a couple hours from Dubai to the VBC

You pay for your flight for R&R then when you get back they'll reimburse some of it (~$800).

Forum Member

Cool

Ok so do you have to get a phisical every year? and I know you gotta buy r&r tickets. does wsi provide EOC tickets back home? Wether you re-sign another contract or not.
    Last edited by tnharwell; 05-31-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Joshua Harwell
    Firefighter/Engineer

Forum Member

Yes you have to get a physical every year and they do pay for your ticket home when you EOC.

Forum Member

.............................. ...........
    Joshua Harwell
    Firefighter/Engineer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSmith77 View Post
    Yes you have to get a physical every year and they do pay for your ticket home when you EOC.
    Im kinda confused, the contract is only for a year, so why do you have to get a physical every year? I just recieved my "Inital Application" packet today in the mail. I'm gona fill it out and go from there. I was just wondering why you would have to get a physical every year, even though the contracts are only for a year? Also does anyone know how the training is out there? If I get the job I plan on using the time out there to earn as many DOD Certifications as I can so I can better qualify myself for firefighter positions I apply for when I get back to the States. Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

You have to redo your medical when/if you renew your contract every year.

As for training it depends on a lot. Sometimes there are classes available and sometimes not. You have to be put in for them and then you still may not get them depending on staffing. Sometimes it just depends on what they need from you and who you know. It's definitely possible to be there a year and only come out with telecommunicator.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSmith77 View Post
    You have to redo your medical when/if you renew your contract every year.

As for training it depends on a lot. Sometimes there are classes available and sometimes not. You have to be put in for them and then you still may not get them depending on staffing. Sometimes it just depends on what they need from you and who you know. It's definitely possible to be there a year and only come out with telecommunicator.

Damn!! Thanks for the info FFSmith77; I really do appreciate the help. The training is going to be the big thing for me. The only reason why I want to go, well besides the money, is for the chance to earn additional DOD certifications. I want to use the time out there to earn additional DOD certifications for when I get back to the States, so I could better qualify me for DOD Firefighting jobs. I just received an email from a Sarah Goldman, she said that she has been there for 11 months and she and the rest of the people she is out there with have yet to get any Driver/ Operator certifications. She also said that you canít just sign up for a class; you have to be put into the class. This is really stressing me out!!! I really want to go, but I donít want to go and not get any DOD certifications. Yea the experience is great, and the money is great too, but if I canít get additional certifications I donít see a reason to go.

Forum Member

Default what certifications did you have up front.

I have all the certs except arff and can't seem to get any of them to hire me. I was wondering if any you are having this problem.

Forum Member

Takes a while for WSI now. You submit through the website and it goes to Va offices, then they send info down to Florida, then they mail the pack to you, takes about week and half.

Forum Member

It has been since june 11th and haven't heard anything other than they were looking at my info and would take about two to three weeks due to high summer deployment schedule.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by srwilliam View Post
    It has been since june 11th and haven't heard anything other than they were looking at my info and would take about two to three weeks due to high summer deployment schedule.
    i sent my resume to kris on may 21. i got the packet pretty quick, just sent back my medical packet and i'm scheduled to leave july 19, try calling India Moore she can help you out with your questions.. she's been really helpful, good luck and hope to see you out there..
    Last edited by jadiam; 07-10-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jadiam View Post
    i sent my resume to kris on may 21. i got the packet pretty quick, just sent back my medical packet and i'm scheduled to leave july 19, try calling India Moore she can help you out with your questions.. she's been really helpful, good luck and hope to see you out there..
    I got my "Initial Application" packet the July 3, 2010, I filled it out and mailed it in Tuesday, July 5, 2010. Then I got 3 more "Inital Application" packets. One had the Company Header named Armor Group, and the other had WSI on the header, so I was kind of wondering why the name change, anyone have a reason why? And dumb me, when I filled out the first "Inital Application" packet, I didnt fill the work history out correctly, I only filled out the one page, I didnt go back the 7 years like it said. So I filled out the other "Initial Applications" correctly, this time with the extra sheets so my work history goes back 7 years, and I mailed them in too, with copies of my certifications and my DD-214. So hopefully I get the medical pack and the fone interview, and then I get the job. But I really hope the background check dosent screw me up cause my credit is ****ty.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRivera24 View Post
    I got my "Initial Application" packet the July 3, 2010, I filled it out and mailed it in Tuesday, July 5, 2010. Then I got 3 more "Inital Application" packets. One had the Company Header named Armor Group, and the other had WSI on the header, so I was kind of wondering why the name change, anyone have a reason why? And dumb me, when I filled out the first "Inital Application" packet, I didnt fill the work history out correctly, I only filled out the one page, I didnt go back the 7 years like it said. So I filled out the other "Initial Applications" correctly, this time with the extra sheets so my work history goes back 7 years, and I mailed them in too, with copies of my certifications and my DD-214. So hopefully I get the medical pack and the fone interview, and then I get the job. But I really hope the background check dosent screw me up cause my credit is ****ty.
    Situation dictates! Depends how many times you submitted to them online, email, etc... Apparently Armor Group is the new sister company with them... VA offices state either packet will work as the pages to be filled out are very similar and identical, just different order.

Forum Member

I got my initial packet in the mail on the 3rd as well 3 people in my dept I know got the same things some sooner or later. I am not sure of all how long it takes but no word back from anyone as of today I just tried calling Mrs. Moore. left a voicemail. anyone know how long it usually takes to get the next packet? or to get overseas to where I am at now?

Forum Member

I should be receiving my Med. packet in about 4 days. I was told that I would be leaving in Sept. or Oct. Does anyone have any info on how Iraq is for Female firefighters?? I have been wanting to do this for a while and I'm real excited about going. But I've heard that women get treated badly. Any info would be great!

Forum Member

Default Kmay

Hello,
    I got called and was told the same thing as far as leaving end of Sept, first part of Oct.
    So if all goes well, I will see you in Houston. I am from Wisconsin. If you want to keep eachother posted on the progress maybe we can help eachother out.

Jerry

RLW
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default got a question

Does the one year contract period begin when you get to Houston, or is it when you touch down in country?

Thread Information