MembersZone Subscriber

Default nurse tanker set-up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-VHj...ture=geosearch

this is a department out near me that invested time and thought heavily into a tanker/pumper that is useful to them. any one else expirement with this type of rig?

info: it is the 2nd due to a rural area without pressurized hydrants, designed to take the drive and deploy off the back everything. very limited hose, carries 2500 gallons and a 2500 gallon folding tank. haven't had anything big with it just a few 1 liners. 1st engine has 1000 gallons on it. followed by 3 more tanker pumpers with 2500 and 2 1000 engines.
    Last edited by ffmedcbk1; 05-31-2010 at 12:32 PM.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

I can't get the link to work?

MembersZone Subscriber

try it now.
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe this is Fern that post a lot on the Explorer Threads. I have to say that is a nice set up.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Well done and I'm very impressed with her abilities working on that equipment alone. I hope she interviews well and has a clean background, because with skills like that she'll be a great asset to a department.

Back on topic, no, we don't have anything like that. We have one engine that carries a folding dump tank on a lift, but we don't even have a tanker anymore. The vast majority of our city has hydrants and our engines have 1,000 gal tanks to last until a water supply can be set up. A couple of our neighboring areas are rural and they have tankers that can respond to our areas if needed within 10 minutes or less. They are automatically dispatched if the area doesn't have hydrants so they'll be there about the time we have everything set up for them to dump. It looks like a nice apparatus if your dept has the need. Quick and easy to use.

Forum Member

Not from a rural dept. that relys on tankers / nursers but i would say it appears to be a very good set up. I like seeing apparatus and equipment that is set up with minimal staffing in mind. She did a good job however someone needs to explain to her the effects of kinks in fire hose, even large diameter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pretty damn good. But do you all call this operation a "nurse tanker" op? I was thinking nurse tanking required the tanker to connect directly to the engine. You know, like "nursing on the teet" I've always referred to the video operations as a standard tanker shuttle dump/scene supply site.

Forum Member

Call it whatever you want, but it looks like a combination of a well thought out evolution, a vehicle set up to do the job, and a person well trained and practiced at doing it. Bravo to everyone involved!

MembersZone Subscriber

To me it looks like a well thought out truck and a well thought out water supply system. Anytime you can put 6000 gallons on the ground that quick your doing something right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    I believe this is Fern that post a lot on the Explorer Threads. I have to say that is a nice set up.
    not him...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    not him...
    FERN is a girl, you know...

MembersZone Subscriber

not him...
    Yes it is Her! Check the credits.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

my bad... didn't realize.

thought you were talking about who posted it.

MembersZone Subscriber

No worries Brother.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

i had no idea she's in the town next to me.

we run m/a to them and was very interested in the set-up. kinda like to play with it (joint trainings happen but busy days lately) and see about making a 2nd one of them.

fyi: there are no dumps on it since it is a dedicated 2nd due rig and does not do m/a, they have a seperate tanker for that.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Okay, this is an awesome set-up but the operation is labled wrong. A nurse tanker operation is where the pumper hooks directly to the tanker and drafts off the tanker or the tanker pumps directly into the attack pumper.

What is shown in the video is a drop tank water shuttle operation.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

fyi: there are no dumps on it since it is a dedicated 2nd due rig and does not do m/a, they have a seperate tanker for that.

not trying to nit pick them, but how much extra cash would dumps have been? and would it have had a large impact on the rigs configuration?

Forum Member

That is one heck of a rig, and one hell of a young lady, doing it alone.

I really like the rear mount pump panel, and drop tank. Well thought out, and well done.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    not trying to nit pick them, but how much extra cash would dumps have been? and would it have had a large impact on the rigs configuration?
    Why would you want it? If a dump takes up space and cost more money on an engine set up to supply the scene, the need for them to dump their tank is non-existent, or am I missing something?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    There is a fire explorer who goes by "Fern" on the IACOJ forum... but that Fern is a he...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I think we are only seeing part of the set-up...she IS setting up the nurse tanker (note LDH going up the drive...) and a tanker supplying the nurse's drop tank.What we don't see is the pumper the LDH is connected to.

Don

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    There is a fire explorer who goes by "Fern" on the IACOJ forum... but that Fern is a he...
    Cool, but the Fern I'm talking about is a girl. See below post from her last post.

As the Assistant Chief Explorer of my post and a leader with the Greater Lake County Young Marines, it is my belief that the best way to learn is to watch yourself do something (as if it was videotaped), and talk about your mistakes. Hopefully soon I will start posting videos for everyone of myself and my explorers teaching classes. I will also talk about our mistakes, and I encourage you to comment on them. We only have training once a week (Thursdays) so I will let everyone know when I start getting videos posted. Do any of you have any stories of how you were able to learn from your mistakes???

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

gonz and bull, that was what i thought too.

anyways, i think that dump are good to have even on this rig due to the probability of needing to run mutual aid or in a shuttle when the other tanker is oos. but the issues i think in construction may have been where to locate dumps on the rear due to pump configuration but it would not have been impossible. side dumps would be easy to do. i figure they could have put the dump to one side of the pump at least.

just a little about the initial ops:
    the engine goes first with the attack crew arriving first and lays 5" with a 5" siamese. typically this is the second rig and will take the drive and pump up to attack engine. if it is not 2nd in, we take our 5" (staying on the street due to size of the pumper/tanker we have) and supply the attack engine. once this rig shows up they can take the drive and pump into the other side of the wye and get the portable folding tank layed out and we fill the folding tank and go to fill site. works out pretty well thus far.

1. YES, that is me in the video. Thank you for all of the compliments.

2. All explorers should be able to operate all of the trucks on their dept.

3. THIS IS A NURSE TANKER. The LDH (5" hose) coming off of the drivers side connects directly to our front line engine that sits farther up in the driveway.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

To don120:

YES this is the WHOLE set up of the tanker. When this tanker arrives on scene, the front line engine has already laid out the LDH for us to attach to the drivers side. What I did was everything that needs to be done. I even had a full draft going.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Thread Information