MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up No crime goes unpunished

Sooner or later you will be caught for wrong doing. A former Clayton, NJ fire chief has been charged with stealing funds from an AFG grant. Here's the link to the Firehouse story.

http://www.firehouse.com/topics/fund...en-ex-nj-chief

Forum Member

"Last month, it was announced that the fire department would receive more than $91,000 through a Department of Homeland Security grant brokered by New Jersey's two Democratic U.S. Senators, Robert Menendez and Frank Lautenberg."

Brokered?

"At trial, prosecutors said that Frank Winters, who served as Clayton's police chief for 23 years prior to his arrest, used his home-based business to bill the borough and MADD for "promotional items" from June 2002 to April 2007. The 63-year-old former chief is serving seven years in state prison after pleading guilty to a charge of official misconduct."

I imagine he's in 24-hour lockup in the PC wing.

Forum Member

All AFG press releases basically say the politicians got the funding handed over, mostly because the public doesn't know any better and we're not going to say anything to contradict them. Keep the funding going.

MembersZone Subscriber

How can you apply when you still have an open grant should be the question ? Why it took 5 years for the program to perform the audit should be another. is that dept still going to be awarded the $91,913 ?

"brokered"
    Maybe NJ Senator's can teach our ole dog's ( Grassley and Harkin) a new trick.

Forum Member

Hey, welcome back, Brian. Caught up on sleep?

Forum Member

Sleep is long over-rated. Massive (pun intended) difference between this year and last, made it through with no afternoon siesta so ran on 3am-6am sleep shift. 38hour straight shift from Thur am into Friday night. Think the difference (see earlier pun reference) was the lack of 35+lbs I didn't have this year over last year. Not that you lifelong skinny people would understand...

Forum Member

I'm surprised you slept at all--I'm on a book deadline right now and I've cranked about about 30,000 words since mid-May, so I can't even imagine writing dozens and dozens of narratives. You keep this pace up and you'll be as thin as you care to be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post
    How can you apply when you still have an open grant should be the question ? Why it took 5 years for the program to perform the audit should be another. is that dept still going to be awarded the $91,913 ?

"brokered"
    Maybe NJ Senator's can teach our ole dog's ( Grassley and Harkin) a new trick.
    Harkin is too stupid and Grassley too honest. Noone outside of Chicago or La can come close to touching NJ for "tricks".

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Sleep is long over-rated. Massive (pun intended) difference between this year and last, made it through with no afternoon siesta so ran on 3am-6am sleep shift. 38hour straight shift from Thur am into Friday night. Think the difference (see earlier pun reference) was the lack of 35+lbs I didn't have this year over last year. Not that you lifelong skinny people would understand...
    When I saw your 3am-6am sleep shift, I just had to post my story:

Friday morning of the deadline I decide to go to sleep at 3am at our fire hall- 03:20 the tones sound.....but I don't really wake up....I guess I was thinking that it was my alarm clock and in an attempt to shut it off I go straight for the fire alarm pull station beside the recliner I was sleeping in to try to "make the sound go away"....after a quick pull the fire alarm sounds through the station to the surprise of our two live-ins. After a stumble down the hall to tell them to shut the fire alarm off (because I was still pretty much asleep) the one live in, who is an alarm installer, goes to the panel and says "uh ohhhh!!!". He races to the kitchen with me following only to find the hood system for our stove dumped all over the kitchen. That pull station was no ordinary fire alarm....it was the pull station for the hood system!!!!!

After an hour of clean up I decided to put on more coffee and forget about sleeping.....so Brian I feel your pain!!!! Haha Sorry for the long story!!

Forum Member

I didn't have any pain with that, but something tells me some kind of an award is coming your way after that one. Kinda like the heading on this thread, no mis-step goes unteased for a long time.

Thread Information