Forum Member

Default AF Firefighter Help

Hey I leave for bootcamp July 5th and I have a guaranteed contract for firefighting. I know I get to put down a list of places i'd like to "try" to get stationed but I am aware I can end up anywhere the Air Force wants me. What I want to know is where are good places to be stationed at? Would you recommend putting all your choices in Europe? Where are good bases to be a firefighter at? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tclem6314 View Post
    Hey I leave for bootcamp July 5th and I have a guaranteed contract for firefighting. I know I get to put down a list of places i'd like to "try" to get stationed but I am aware I can end up anywhere the Air Force wants me. What I want to know is where are good places to be stationed at? Would you recommend putting all your choices in Europe? Where are good bases to be a firefighter at? Any help would be great. Thanks!
    Ramstein, Germany; Eglin, FL; Kadena, Japan; Misawa, Japan... The list goes on... pick somewhere that your NOT FROM, and somewhere where you can travel and visit a bunch of places. While I was in Germany, I was able to see Italy, Spain, England, Holland, Russia, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, and of course all over Germany. Go overseas, man, don't be like the other sniveling kids that cry because they can't get stationed close to home and try with everything in their power to do an assignment swap. Ramstein is a large base with 9 stations, plenty of ARFF, EMS and structural experience. Elmondorf, Alaska is also a huge base with plenty of stations. I'm sure others will chime in on here also.

Forum Member

Ramstein for sure at the top of the list, one of my favorite stateside bases was Little Rock AFB.

Forum Member

like the others said, just dont put places around where your from. put europe and asia/pacific then put in your state-side, dont leave it blank.

Forum Member

Thank you everyone who answered. I think i might as well make the most out of the Air Force and going over to Europe and travelling would be a awesome experience.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tclem6314 View Post
    Hey I leave for bootcamp July 5th and I have a guaranteed contract for firefighting.
    Is there a way to get Firefighting guaranteed in the Air Force? I talked to my recruiter and he said the best he can do is I list 6-7 jobs, put Firefighter 1st, and hope I get my first choice! But then I read that you got a Guaranteed Contract, how do I get one of these?

Thanks, I really want AF FF and nothing else!

Forum Member

Tell your recruiter firefighting or no go

Otherwise you will get stuck in something else

It may push back when you go in

Forum Member

Alright thank you for the input as well as the link to the other forum! I'm pumped knowing that I can indeed get it guaranteed, I'll just have to go in and tell him like ya said, Firefighting or nothing. And I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help me get Firefighting written in my contract.

Thanks everyone!

Forum Member

Are you able to change recruiting offices??? Are there others near you?????

Forum Member

Ok so I atempted to go into my Air Force recruiting office and tell my recruiter that I wanted Fire Protection or nothing, didn't work. He said that there is truly no way he or any other recruiter in the US can guarantee you a specific job. You must list 5-7 jobs and a Career Field and they try to give you your first choice on down.
    I tried it guys and it didn't work. I don't know if this recruiter is just pulling my leg or what, HELP!

Thanks for any help, it is very much appreciated.

Forum Member

Find another office

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Find another office
    so what your saying is there's gotta be a recruiter and gotta be way to get it guaranteed? I may have to travel a ways to find the next office.. but if that recruiter can get it guaranteed in my contract, it'll definetly be worth it.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Call and tell them what you want first and see what they say

Forum Member

You need to be the one in charge of the conversation! The best thing you could do now is find another office. Walk in and all you say is "All I want to be is an Air Force Firefighter" And If I cant get it, walk out. Your hope is that he will stop you in your tracks as you get to the door or he will call you once he has figured out all your going to enlist for is firefighter.

Worldwide Menace

Let me just add that If you have any history of Underage drinking or DUI or any arrest record you're just wasting your time. There are limited positions in school and there are many many many people out there who have spotless records.

-Damien

Forum Member

like xfedff said, you have to "be in charge" when dealing with recruiters, dont talk to them about anything else. tell them to call you when they have your job and walk out. its all a game, they might not be able to get you the job now, so just wait it out. itll come up.

Forum Member

Not to worry my record is squeeky clean, nothing on there! Thanks again for the replies fellas

Forum Member

I can agree with what everyone has told you make sure your in charge of the conversation. Years ago I was gonna join the ARMY and I told the recruiter 100 times all i want is 21 Mike. So I did very well on the ASVAB test now all of a sudden as I am about to sign he is like oh sorry you cant be a firefighter we will give you MP I was like see ya later and walked out. He never called me or anything to say they had an opening. Be careful with the recruiters if you have any family in the AF I would suggest taking them with you as well that can help you too.

Thread Information