Forum Member

Default Jersey City Chief fights back with Council

Give this guy the Alpha Dog of the Week.

Synopsis; Councilman comes down on JCFD for being top heavy, to many promotions, and to many Battalion Chiefs positions including Safety Officer The councilman does this in the local paper as an Op-Ed piece. Councilman's Editorial Here.

The JCFD Chief shoots back with a letter explaining that this fiscal year he has 81 retirements, defending safety officer position and calling the councilman a "Fire Expert". Great stuff. Chief's letter here.

I don't know enough about the story, but it makes good TV! It does possibly sound like they could be doing things differently, but for the councilman to address this issue in the local paper, not sitting down and voicing his argument in person with the people who matter is BS and the Chief called him on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah way to take it to them Chief!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Wow, take it to em
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

This is another example of a politician using anyone he can as a stepping stone for his own benefit. It doesn't matter if his statements are incorrect or outright lies. He has his sheep that follow and spread the half truths. I don't remember hearing he was at a 4th alarm on Memorial Day where a two building fire ( 2-story & 3-story occupied frames both well involved on arrival ) was kept to those two. Other exposures got considerable exterior damage. The entire block consisted of frame buildings and could have easily taken 4-5 or 6 others with no problem. Some of the spin on that was you don't need a chief inside a fire building. There's more to this but I'm not going to bore you because I know almost every other small town and large city from coast to coast is going through the same crap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    This is another example of a politician using anyone he can as a stepping stone for his own benefit. It doesn't matter if his statements are incorrect or outright lies. He has his sheep that follow and spread the half truths. I don't remember hearing he was at a 4th alarm on Memorial Day where a two building fire ( 2-story & 3-story occupied frames both well involved on arrival ) was kept to those two. Other exposures got considerable exterior damage. The entire block consisted of frame buildings and could have easily taken 4-5 or 6 others with no problem. Some of the spin on that was you don't need a chief inside a fire building. There's more to this but I'm not going to bore you because I know almost every other small town and large city from coast to coast is going through the same crap.
    Thanks for the info, I forgot we had an "insider" here. I took this as the councilman had an axe to grind and wanted to make a name for himself. That is why he went to the papers instead of addressing the issue behind closed doors. Election season in NJ?

Forum Member

As far as I or anyone else I've spoken to knows there's no specific axe to grind. Just being an azzhole trying to start his run for mayor. Some people feel they have to knock others down to build themselves up. He doesn't have to go behind closed doors to discuss the issues. The facts stand up for themselves.

Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Election season in NJ?
    Its always election season here in NJ. It's a full time sport.

As in all areas in the US if you are any type of public employee you have a bullseye on your back.
    This space for rent

Some Guy

Len,

Our new chief and I were at Turnout Uniforms today. One of the new Bn chiefs was there picking up his new uniforms. Pretty good guy. After he left engine 4 pulled up. Great bunch of guys also. JCFD is a class outfit.
    This space for rent

Thread Information