Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 SAEFR recruitment and retention

I've seen about 1/2 of the funds get thrown to hiring but not one R&R project.

Anyone with a R&R application seen any 1199 or other actions?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    I've seen about 1/2 of the funds get thrown to hiring but not one R&R project.

Anyone with a R&R application seen any 1199 or other actions?
    I haven't heard a word on mine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fortsutphen View Post
    I haven't heard a word on mine.
    Dusty, If you have had a SAFER award, I would love to see its narrative. In fact I would like to get more SAFER narratives that emphasis R&R.

Our state has had about 6 SAFERS awarded since it began.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Dusty, If you have had a SAFER award, I would love to see its narrative. In fact I would like to get more SAFER narratives that emphasis R&R.

Jim " Did I send you mine already??? Senior moment, Can't remember ***** !!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post

Jim, I have yet to receive a safer grant but I can send you what I did for 2009.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Jim " Did I send you mine already??? Senior moment, Can't remember ***** !!!!
    Island if you don't mind, I'd like to read yours.

mmpwfireco@mmpw.comcastbiz.net.

Forum Member

This will be the year R&R only gets the minimum 10% with all of the rehiring going on. Or if more than that comes through it will be a late in the game job like 2008 with the people turning the money down. A lot of rehiring cities are turning it down because they know it's just a 2 year delay on the layoffs so saving the money in the meantime. Others because they don't think it right to rehire just FFs when they're laying off from other departments within the municipality.

Forum Member

Talking

Island if you don't mind, I'd like to read yours.

mmpwfireco@mmpw.comcastbiz.net.
    e-mail headed your way

Forum Member

Well I did submit our R&R application but from the looks of things with the way Safer grants are going, it doesn't seem that we will be lucky this year.

So I'll ask now and maybe when the next Safer application period is open, I'll have a better chance. Anybody have a successful Safer application that they are willing to share. If so, can you send it to the following email address: engco45@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    e-mail headed your way
    Thank you sir. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Forum Member

Talking

Thank you sir. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.
    You're welcome. We were funded for everything except the physicals part of the application at the levels we requested. Still Can't figure out why they removed the physicals as we referenced the standards and I thought we explained the cost benefits very well. Oh well can't win them all.

Forum Member

I got it Ed. It is still corrupted for some reason. I might be able to work it out.

Anyone else, including yours Dusty can be sent to jam24u@windstream.net

or jam24u@hotmail.com.

Forum Member

Question

If you fine folks don't mind. I would respectfully request a copy also. station14@charter.net Thanks in advance. Jeff

Forum Member

Me too please... chief_vaughn @ rrvfd.com

Forum Member

Last week, Omaha FD announced that they were going to have to return their 2009 SAFER award. All over the news. Seems that Omaha FD was not going to be able to satisfy the scope of the project. The award was to hire 35 firefighters and turns out they were not going to be able to fulfill their end of the project.

Forum Member

Not a rarity, odds are by the time this is over with there will be more and more money steered into R&R. Especially near the end of the award year, like there was with the 2008 program when they have to scramble to get rid of the dough or turn it back into the Treasury.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Not a rarity, odds are by the time this is over with there will be more and more money steered into R&R. Especially near the end of the award year, like there was with the 2008 program when they have to scramble to get rid of the dough or turn it back into the Treasury.
    With the economic situations getting harder for city operating budgets, will the SAFER program allow awardees that return their awards to be able to apply again the next year?

If not, will they run into difficulties in their other applications they submit?

Forum Member

I'm sure something will come up about being awarded and then not taking the funding. It ought to, there's only a couple months between awards and applying for the next round, so not like a whole lot will change on the financial front in most areas in that period of time. But if they apply and write a good argument again, if Peer doesn't know any better they can end up with another one. DHS ought to do more checking around before they actually give people the money since they know who is turning down the awards.

Wouldn't be surprised if anyone was turning down new positions and then aiming for layoffs to snag that funding in the next round since there's no 3rd year requirement. That's a big roll of the safety dice to do that.

Of course this again underscores why it's not DHS, the SAFER rules, or anyone else that IAFF should be taking issue with, it's the cities that aren't taking the funding when offered, or not applying in the first place. Again underscoring that staffing is a localized issue that needs to have a solid local solution and not relying on Maybe Bucks from a grant. Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels in making any kind of real progress.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep and things had better get started on those awards quickly. If they hold true to the request for SAFER peer reviewers in late August, we are going to see SAFER pop open first week of July or so, is my guess.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Yep and things had better get started on those awards quickly. If they hold true to the request for SAFER peer reviewers in late August, we are going to see SAFER pop open first week of July or so, is my guess.
    I too am having a 'Senior' moment. Didn't '09 SAFER open in November and didn't they extend the closing date a couple more weeks due to the low number of submissions.

Frankly I was hoping to have an opening period for SAFER somewhere in say, September.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up contact on R&R project

6-14-10 customer got a call regarding questions on a R&R project. They already have an 1199 for their hire app. but nothing showing on the 1199 for R&R. More to follow on this one.

All the rest of my R&R no action yet, anyone else????

Forum Member

Angry Round 9 of SAFER Grants Announced

Round 9 of SAFER Grants Announced

Firehouse.com News

Posted: Fri, 06/18/2010 - 09:46 ..Today, Friday, June 18, the ninth round of the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) awards for FY '09 was announced.

Click here to view the list of announcements

The more than $3.5 million in grant funds will help provide direct assistance to two fire departments.

Since 2005, SAFER has awarded 1,137 grants totaling more than $500 million to fire departments across the country to help to increase staffing of frontline firefighters. This year, DHS has received 2,128 applications for nearly $1.25 billion in grant requests.

The SAFER grants program awards grants to assist local fire departments with staffing and deployment capabilities so they may respond to emergencies whenever they occur, assuring their communities have adequate protection from fire and fire-related hazards.

SAFER grants provide funding for hiring new firefighters, rehiring laid-off firefighters, and programs for recruitment and retention of volunteer firefighters. Ultimately, SAFER grantees should achieve more efficient responses and a safer incident scene.

SAFER grants are administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Preparedness Directorate through its Office of Grants and Training, in cooperation with the United States Fire Administration, also within the Preparedness Directorate.

All of course are for hiring but none for recruitment or retention.

Forum Member

Since they award everything in order of scoring hiring will always be first anyway. Meeting staffing requirements being the goal hiring always wins since someone paid to sit there is guaranteed to respond versus hoping folks show up. Just the nature of the beast. But with so many turning the money back in R&R will end up as most of the awards in the later rounds. Plus since it was a jobs thing from the stimulus bill hiring was going to take precedence no matter what.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    6-14-10 customer got a call regarding questions on a R&R project. They already have an 1199 for their hire app. but nothing showing on the 1199 for R&R. More to follow on this one.

All the rest of my R&R no action yet, anyone else????
    Nothing on my R&R.

P.S. Hope all is well.

Forum Member

So far nothing on my R&R request. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information