Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default truck suggestions

Well we are in the market for a pumper-tanker. The main things we are looking for in this truck is that we need a 3,000 gallon tank with a 1,500 gpm pump and a custom chassis. Has anybody else bought a truck simaler to this recently if so I would like to take a look at your specs for ideas. Anyone intrested in giving me some ideas can email me at bartonff201@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Pics would be great thanks

Forum Member

Hope you have a big station!

Forum Member

These guys have a 2500 gal tanker with a 1500 gal pump. http://www.silverspringfire.com/t31.asp

Their contact emails are on the officer page on the website.

Yes, this is the company that is now famous for lighting the RV on fire with a leaf blower, but they do have nice apparatus.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..........

Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bartonff201 View Post
    Well we are in the market for a pumper-tanker. The main things we are looking for in this truck is that we need a 3,000 gallon tank with a 1,500 gpm pump and a custom chassis. Has anybody else bought a truck simaler to this recently if so I would like to take a look at your specs for ideas. Anyone intrested in giving me some ideas can email me at bartonff201@yahoo.com
    3,000 gal is huge. Would you have room for a pumper and a tanker?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    That is a nice website design btw.

Forum Member

I love the tiny ***** wheel chock they use with the big ***** tanker. Looks like an Army wheel chock if my eyes serve me right.

Back In Black

3000 gal I get, but why 1500 gpm instead of say, 1250?

Just curious.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    3000 gal I get, but why 1500 gpm instead of say, 1250?

Just curious.
    there is a certain ratio of tank size to pump size to make a piece of apparatus a pumper tanker. unfortunately i cant recall what it is but we just replaced our old tanker pumper and the tank to pump ratio was not up to those standards so it became a rescue pumper.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post Hmmmmm...............

Quote Originally Posted by BVFD_LT2 View Post
    there is a certain ratio of tank size to pump size to make a piece of apparatus a pumper tanker. unfortunately i cant recall what it is but we just replaced our old tanker pumper and the tank to pump ratio was not up to those standards so it became a rescue pumper.

Must be a "Local" thing in NY State. WE determine what something is, based on our Specs..... You see a lot of 1,000gpm pumps around here, because that's all we need.........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    3,000 gal is huge. Would you have room for a pumper and a tanker?
    Yes jam we would have plenty of room. We have a nine bay station with only five trucks. Rescue, brushtruck, engine, tanker, and our current 3000 gallon pumper-tanker. The problem is we took the 31 year old pumper-tanker to get serviced last week and the mechanic went to change the fluid in the pump and some big chunks of metal came out with the fluid. Upon further investigation it was determined that the pump would cost 15 to 20 thousand dollars to fix. It's kinda hard to justify throwing that much money into a truck that has no seat belts, drives like a brick, and not to mention has 300,000 miles on it. It would suck to put 20 thousand In the truck and the moter blow up on the way home.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up And...........

My neighbors to the East, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, is a place with Water Supply issues....... The County contains a LOT of Shoreline on the Chesapeake Bay, but access is severely limited. They run 5 Tankers and 9 Pumper Tankers. The County has 4 E-one P/Ts, The Volunteers have 5 from Pierce, KME, and others. A E-one is at www.Harwood-Lothian9.webs.com Volunteer units can be seen at www.CSCVFC.Org www.Deale42.com and www.RBVFC13.com There is also one worth viewing in Scotland, Ct. They're at www.SVFD16.com The Scotland unit is one of those that are built on Used/Rehabbed Tandem Axle Ladder Truck Cabs........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Back In Black

Yes jam we would have plenty of room. We have a nine bay station with only five trucks. Rescue, brushtruck, engine, tanker, and our current 3000 gallon pumper-tanker. The problem is we took the 31 year old pumper-tanker to get serviced last week and the mechanic went to change the fluid in the pump and some big chunks of metal came out with the fluid. Upon further investigation it was determined that the pump would cost 15 to 20 thousand dollars to fix. It's kinda hard to justify throwing that much money into a truck that has no seat belts, drives like a brick, and not to mention has 300,000 miles on it. It would suck to put 20 thousand In the truck and the moter blow up on the way home.
    300,000 miles?

It would take us a few hundred years to get that many miles on a piece of apparatus.

Do you have a big area?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

300,000 miles?

It would take us a few hundred years to get that many miles on a piece of apparatus.

Do you have a big area?
    I knew that would catch yalls attention. The truck originally belonged to the railroad. They donated it to us in 1985 with 250,000 miles. We took it and converted it to a pumper-tanker. I will post some pics of it later when I get to the station.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post Well.........

300,000 miles?

Do you have a big area?

I drove a Reserve pumper last week that has 102,000 miles on it. It's a 2001 E-one........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Must be a "Local" thing in NY State. WE determine what something is, based on our Specs..... You see a lot of 1,000gpm pumps around here, because that's all we need.........
    So does the depts over the either side that border dc.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Exactly........

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    So does the depts over the either side that border dc.
    You and I know the Metro area's Water System.......... A 1,000 GPM Pump can easily provide 2,000 GPM off of a Hydrant......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't bother much with pumper/tankers here, although our numbering spec does refer to a 750/1000 as a pumper tanker. That spec dates back to the 60's, when there were still a lot of 500 GPM pumpers on the front line, but now includes just about every front line pumper in the county.

So they added a quick-dump to the requirements for a pumper-tanker designation.

That said - most of the front-line engines in the county are of the 1000/1000 or 1250/1000 variety. Off-hand, I can't think of any true pumper-tankers, which I define as having a tank "larger" than the pump by at least 250 gallons.

Almost every department has at least one ~2000 gallon tanker, generally on a single axle. They're (relatively) small, quick, and a drop tank will hold most of what they carry. Many are equipped with either multiple dump outlets or a swing chute (rather like a concrete truck) and a couple of ground fills, and most have either a PTO or a portable pump.

Hydrants are a scarce commodity throughout most of the county, but I can have 10,000 gallons on scene in less than 15 minutes
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a picture of the truck we are replacing. We are hoping to get a truck that can do the same thing this has done for us for many years. It has a 3,000 gallon tank and a 2,000 gpm pump. I know that on our new truck we will not be able to afford the big pump but we are looking in the 1250-1500 gpm range. The big thing that we are trying to decide is should we get a custom cab or commercial cab. We have 23 members on the department and we are averaging 10 per fire call. Im thinking if we get a custom cab we can get more fireman to the scene in one truck, however we will lose alot of turning radius. For the most parts our county roads are big enough but it always seems that the big fires happen on the little bitty roads. Any thoughts on custom verses commercial?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back In Black

This is a picture of the truck we are replacing. We are hoping to get a truck that can do the same thing this has done for us for many years. It has a 3,000 gallon tank and a 2,000 gpm pump. I know that on our new truck we will not be able to afford the big pump but we are looking in the 1250-1500 gpm range. The big thing that we are trying to decide is should we get a custom cab or commercial cab. We have 23 members on the department and we are averaging 10 per fire call. Im thinking if we get a custom cab we can get more fireman to the scene in one truck, however we will lose alot of turning radius. For the most parts our county roads are big enough but it always seems that the big fires happen on the little bitty roads. Any thoughts on custom verses commercial?
    Go with the same seating configuration and buy a used van for the same amount.

In all seriousness, I would keep that wheelbase as short as you safely can.

Forum Member

I drove a Reserve pumper last week that has 102,000 miles on it. It's a 2001 E-one........
    We got a 1964 Chevy tanker with 13,000 miles on it. The chassis was bought used in about 66 i believe. Shows how many miles we put on. Although we do run a 150 square mile area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh..... Whatcha going to do with the old tanker?

I know some departments with NO money that don't need a
    pump on their tanker.... That would kill for that.... I know
    one that the Chief donates to a northern MS department..... Heck
    of a nice guy....

This would be far better than the deuce and a half...

Forum Member

What size is your other tanker? What size are you nieghbors tankers? It is much easier to run a water relay if all the tanker are the same size! If you need the truck as a tanker, you can't use it as a pumper. If you set it up to fight fire as a pumper you can't use it to haul water.

Do you need the pump capacity for ISO? Do you want to haul water with a huge custom cab truck after you drop off 5 guy at the scene?

These Question are general and not specific to anyone, we use a tanker with a 250 gpm pump and soon will be replacing it.

Forum Member

The logic of putting a tanker on a custom chassis has always confused me. In my mind, after it drops off the crew, it becomes nothing but an obstacle to an effective water shuttle.

I'm old school. Tankers haul water. Period. Maybe put a small transfer pump on the chassis and a line or two, just in case it comes up on a brush or trash fire, but that's it.

Now if you want to build a pumper for fire attack with 3000 gallon tank and a custom chassis, that's great, and in some areas it's a wonderful tool, but don't expect it to perform well as a tanker unless you have some fairly flat terrain and some pretty wide roads with some large turnaround areas.

We operate 2 3000 gallon engine tankers on commercial chassis, as well as a 3000 gallon pumper, and most of time we get away with it using them as tankers. Still, I'd rather have 2 1500 gallon tankers than the 3000, but that's me.Small tankers in this area are rare. 3000 gallon tankers are the norm.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information