Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Jim Joyce's Call

So, I assume everyone's seen the call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Will this be the catalyst, the straw that breaks the camel's back in regards to baseball instant replay? Should it be?

I don't do baseball...... but I like the highlights, good and bad.

Got a link???

Probably should have put this in the "Sports" thread.

FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 06-03-2010 at 02:16 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Nevermind, found a link. http://espn.go.com/mlb/notebook/_/pa...ight-clubhouse

Armando Galarraga was raped of a no hitter. What the 1st base umpire saw, was "way off base". The guy was out at first.

For instant replays in baseball, should coincide with the rules of college football, to a degree. If the guys upstairs see's a mistake by an umpire, then it should be over ruled. But the teams playing, have no place to make a challenge. If the guys upstairs can't be clear on what they see, then it should be left as called by the umpires.

Strike zones should be off limits to instant replays. All umpires have a different box, and are usually consistent in them.

FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 06-03-2010 at 02:52 AM.

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

According to the morning news report, after reviewing the replay, he apologized. That says something, right? Ya I know. It didnt help the game any.

I fondly remember the good old days when a bad call was simply a bad call. Instant replay/review did not exist.

Times were better then.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

That was just horrible. Too bad Baseball doesn't have a booth review process. You didn't need a replay to see he blew that call. In real time you could see the runner was out. In slow motion you see it is by a step and a half. How they get the bang bang plays right and blow this one is incomprehensible. Must have been the beer he had for the 7th inning stretch.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yadayadayada........

"Jock" Sports are ............... Nevermind. not worth it.

I'll just say that we don't have that problem in motorsports. I could care less about the Super Four Final Bowl Series of the World or whatever it is that the "I'm Me, I'm Best" crowd does. Anyone going to "The Buck" Saturday Nite??...... We'll be there with the big Hemi Powered Dakota.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I fondly remember the good old days when a bad call was simply a bad call. Instant replay/review did not exist.

Times were better then.
    I aqree. Love it or hate it. The human error factor is part of the game.

I miss the days when a game wasn't held up by play review. I rarely watch football for that reason.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I heard a rumor that the commissioner may do something afterall.

I don't know how. It's professional baseball and anything could have happened in the game, so i do not see how he can offer anything but his sympathy.

Besides that would have been the third perfect game in about 10 days. When has that happened?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    "Jock" Sports are ............... Nevermind. not worth it.

I'll just say that we don't have that problem in motorsports. I could care less about the Super Four Final Bowl Series of the World or whatever it is that the "I'm Me, I'm Best" crowd does. Anyone going to "The Buck" Saturday Nite??...... We'll be there with the big Hemi Powered Dakota.......
    Really???

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57
    Really???
    On that same note on motorsports, Danica Patrick and someone else was dropped a position in the Indy 500, because they passed a car on the last caution in the race. This happened after reviewing the positions of the cars when the caution came out. Danica finished 5th, then dropped to 6th, after the review.

The MLB commissioner said today, he is not going to overturn the bad call. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...senotes04.html

FM1

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I aqree. Love it or hate it. The human error factor is part of the game.

I miss the days when a game wasn't held up by play review. I rarely watch football for that reason.
    Yup. When a player makes an error, is there a "do over"? No reason the officials should get a "do over" either.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

There are bad calls in every ball game(s). Usually it doesn't affect the outcome but Detroit won the game. Too bad the pitcher didn't get the no hitter. Life is like this, some days are good and then some aren't. Too bad we as firefighters can't have a "review" of mistakes made on the fire scene or had we been on the scene when the fire began, the occupants would not have died.

Case in point, had I had not had a flat tire several weeks ago when I went out to travel to the fire house for my tour I may not be here today. There was a major accident with fatalities on the same road I travel on the mornings I go in and around that time I leave to go. The accident occurred at 0530 and I would have left at 0515 and the time frame on good traffic days, which are seldom up here, would have put me at that intersection at 0530!

You never know what the call will be or the outcome.

Forum Member

They could award him the perfect game.

They've done revisionist history on the stats (rather than the game outcome) before. Fay Vincent appointed a "Integrity of Baseball Statistics" that stripped a bunch of pitchers who played the entire game without allowing a hit because they only pitched eight innings (because they were the losing away team, there was no bottom-of-the-ninth for them to pitch in) or less (rain shortened game).

Banned

One has to wonder if it would have been such a big deal had this occurred in the first inning instead of being the last out. Either way, it is only a game. It isn't like the umpire neglected to search a home for fire or victims.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    It isn't like the umpire neglected to search a home for fire or victims.

Oh, this is just precious coming from a person who didn't know what a primary search was. Just precious.

When the players on the field are perfect for every single play in every game, then we can expect the same out of the umpires. Until then, the human factor is part of the game.

Had the issue been reversed, meaning that the runner was without doubt safe, but called out, would there be an uproar about that?
    It's just part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    Had the issue been reversed, meaning that the runner was without doubt safe, but called out, would there be an uproar about that?
    If it was a play at home plate, meaning either a win, or tying the game, then yes, there would be an uproar.

FM1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    It's just part of the game.
    The issue is not so much that it was out or not. It is more that it was such a horrible a blatant miss. It was one thing to get a close call wrong. It is something entirely different when it is an obvious mistake.

Kind of like getting a speeding ticket for doing 80 mph in a 55 mph when you were clearly doing 45 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    If it was a play at home plate, meaning either a win, or tying the game, then yes, there would be an uproar.

FM1

Now we're stretching into the realm of the hypothetical. Don't make this into something more than it is.

I thought that all parties involved handled the entire issue with sportsmanship and class. The pitcher also maintained his composure and got the out, giving his team a win. A win is far more important than a perfect game.

The guy got a free corevette. No perfect game though.

Thread Information