Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    24

    Default Pierce building 4 Aerials with Smeal Ladders

    Oshkosh Corp.,and Smeal will supply 121 customized firefighting vehicles for export to the Republic of Ghana


    Four Oshkosh-owned companies are participating in the export. Pierce Manufacturing Inc. in Appleton, Wis., will supply 90 pumper trucks, 10 tanker trucks and four aerial ladder trucks. Jerr-Dan Corp. in Greencastle, Pa., will supply 13 recovery trucks. Iowa Mold Tooling Co. Inc. in Garner, Iowa, is providing four service vehicles and spare parts. Oshkosh Specialty Vehicles Inc. in Harvey, Ill., is supplying four mobile breathing air compressors.

    Two U.S. sub-suppliers are also participating. Bauer Compressors Inc. in Norfolk, Va., is supplying high-pressure breathing air equipment to Oshkosh Specialty Vehicles. Smeal Fire & Apparatus Co., a small business in Snyder, Neb., is providing the ladders for the four Pierce aerial ladder trucks.
    Last edited by Trucknews; 06-03-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    Trucknews/evehiclenews.com


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp , New Jersey
    Posts
    492

    Thumbs up U.s.a.

    It is about time some factory workers in this country get work, and can put food on there tables. It is nice to see some EXPORTING for a change !!!!

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber bendone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    I'm over here Now!
    Posts
    51

    Default Buy American

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    It is about time some factory workers in this country get work, and can put food on there tables. It is nice to see some EXPORTING for a change !!!!
    Amen to that!!

  4. #4
    Forum Member FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trucknews
    Smeal Fire & Apparatus Co., a small business in Snyder, Neb., is providing the ladders for the four Pierce aerial ladder trucks.
    Good to see the small guys getting a piece of the pie.

    FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 06-06-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  5. #5
    ...
    ... is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Smeal is small?

  6. #6
    Reliance
    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Location
    Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Does anyone know why Pierce is not using there own ladders?

  7. #7
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Maybe they wanted a GOOD one? hehe T.C.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp , New Jersey
    Posts
    492

    Post

    I do not think that Pierce builds a " 121 ft stick "

  9. #9
    ...
    ... is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    I do not think that Pierce builds a " 121 ft stick "
    That's funny, because I don't think smeal builds one either.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    That's funny, because I don't think smeal builds one either.
    Smeal has a 125' stick.

  11. #11
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    It has been alleged that the Ghana government wanted 125' sticks. Also, let's not forget who built Pierce's sticks before Pierce built Pierce's sticks.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  12. #12
    ...
    ... is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Smeal has a 125' stick.
    That's my point!

  13. #13
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    It has been alleged that the Ghana government wanted 125' sticks. Also, let's not forget who built Pierce's sticks before Pierce built Pierce's sticks.
    Like I said. They wanted a GOOD stick. T.C.

  14. #14
    Forum Member FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    I know for a fact why Pierce had to go to Smeal for the ladders. Ghana wanted 125' ladders as their spec. Pierce doesn't make one.

    As for the small guy reference (Smeal), look at it this way. They build excellent ladders, but don't make the rigs from the ground up, as Pierce does. This is good for Smeal.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  15. #15
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    I know for a fact why Pierce had to go to Smeal for the ladders. Ghana wanted 125' ladders as their spec. Pierce doesn't make one.

    As for the small guy reference (Smeal), look at it this way. They build excellent ladders, but don't make the rigs from the ground up, as Pierce does. This is good for Smeal.

    FM1
    They don't NEED to. They're using a GOOD foundation(for the most part). T.C.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    So of Can. / N. of Mexico
    Posts
    869

    Talking It's all about the specs

    Withdrew, The men in black were here!
    Last edited by donethat; 06-07-2010 at 02:56 PM.

  17. #17
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    And Pierce doesn't make a stick over 100'. SMEAL,which is an UPGRADE,does. Not really that hard. T.C.

  18. #18
    Forum Member mtg55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    And Pierce doesn't make a stick over 100'. SMEAL,which is an UPGRADE,does. Not really that hard. T.C.
    105. They don't make one over 105'
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

  19. #19
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Ah yes. that still leaves 'em a mite short,hehe. I'd forgot about the HD105. That's why I love this place. T.C.

  20. #20
    Forum Member mtg55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Ah yes. that still leaves 'em a mite short,hehe. I'd forgot about the HD105. That's why I love this place. T.C.
    Quite a bid in deed! It's all good, I got your back! lol
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 06-18-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 08:46 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 06-06-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 09:31 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 04-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 07:05 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 04-29-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 11:52 AM
  5. Thermal Imaging SOG's
    By wtfd92 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-27-2001, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts