Fire alarm alerts family, saves home

North Cowichan South End firefighters respond to a structure fire call at 6600 block of Bell McKinnon Road at 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

Andrew Leong

Published: June 08, 2010 7:00 PM
Updated: June 09, 2010 7:53 AM

An early morning residential blaze on Bell McKinnon Road was likely an electrical fire, firefighters say.

Capt. Brad Coleman with the North Cowichan South End Fire Department said a smoke detector alerted the family to the wall fire at about 2:30 a.m. June 5.

Four trucks and about 20 firefighters were on scene at the 6600 block of Bell McKinnon Road for about an hour.

“The fire didn’t extend too far, just a little onto the overhang of the roof and one partial wall,” Coleman said, adding there were no injuries for any involved.

“It went really well, and luckily due to a smoke detector, the damage was minimal.”

{SIDE BAR STORY}

CVRD alarmed about alarms

Published: April 20, 2010 9:00 PM

Every home in the Cowichan Valley must have a smoke alarm.

If you don’t, you’re breaking the law.

That’s the word from the Cowichan Valley Regional District as officials try to raise awareness of a new law that goes into effect May 1.

Under the new law, every residential building built before 1979 must have a smoke alarm installed. This change also includes sleeping rooms, such as those found in hotels and recreational buildings that provide temporary accommodation.

Owners of these older residential buildings can install battery-operated smoke alarms, rather than connecting smoke alarms to the buildings’ electrical system, district officials said in a press release.

Battery-operated smoke alarms are an affordable way to increase life safety.

Landlords must make sure their rental properties comply with the law. Tenants should contact their landlord immediately if they do not have the required smoke alarms, or, the smoke alarm provided is not working.

For more information, call the CVRD public safety office at 250-746-2560.