Forum Member

Default FLASH-Oil Spill stopped

At 1300 local time,BP execs announced that the latest attempt to staunch the spill from the Deepwater Horizon well had worked.
    Crews spent the morning of 9 June feeding the hole in the ocean's floor with wedding cake.
    Now the well won't put out.

Psych!

Forum Member

You knew it was going that way...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hahaaha. The real joke would be for some science-geek high-schooler to figure a way of collecting the surface oil and processing enough of it to make a quick buck out of it. Imagine how fast they would be working to stop flow/clean up then eh? Especially if the process hit the internet.

Forum Member

The technology to collect a lot of the oil currently pouring out already exists.Skimmers,oil containment booms(not really effective in open water but you use what you have) and people tossing out oil absorbent pads and then collecting them have worked before and can help even if it takes a while to do it all.Even centrifugal oil purifiers can be used to seperate oil from water and dump the water overboard while piping the oil to tanks are available in sizes bign enough to work.
    The government would rather spend time listening to an actor(Why did you just think Kevin Costner?) with a device that only replicates available equipment instead of working to co-ordinate the shipment of as much oil collection gear as can fit in the Gulf of Mexico.
    That would be too simple and an efficient use of government time.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Hahaaha. The real joke would be for some science-geek high-schooler to figure a way of collecting the surface oil and processing enough of it to make a quick buck out of it. Imagine how fast they would be working to stop flow/clean up then eh? Especially if the process hit the internet.
    Last edited by doughesson; 06-10-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Forum Member

NEWS FLASH!!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!!

DATELINE: NEW ORLEANS!!!

Oreck Vacuum Company has just deployed a fleet of Oreck Vacuum Boats to clean up the massive oil spill.

More at 10pm

The next sound you will hear will really suck...

Forum Member

Since first hearing of the issue, I've wondered why they haven't had those centrifugal devices out there right from the start. I know they're expensive but surely not as much so as the clean-up will be if and when they get that sucker capped.

Forum Member

"THAT" isn't a sucker...

It is a blower...

I agree... the response has been dismal and "too-little too-late".

Send a few thousand firefighters down there and they will solve it, or at least have a good time trying...

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Actually what I was getting at was that some smart kid could make himself some big money (until BP and USG got notice) scooping that stuff up and selling it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    The technology already exists. the Dutch have it. Kevin Costner also has a company that can do the same. Seems there was a previous oil spill from the Exxon Valdez that spurned the development of all of this technology. Of course after 21 years of no problems no one cared.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Since first hearing of the issue, I've wondered why they haven't had those centrifugal devices out there right from the start. I know they're expensive but surely not as much so as the clean-up will be if and when they get that sucker capped.
    Exactly!!!!! From day one they have not tried to pick up the oil or contain the spill. The response had been dismal at best.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Exactly!!!!! From day one they have not tried to pick up the oil or contain the spill. The response had been dismal at best.
    Shutup.....

Forum Member

Wanna solve this thing? Tell the dopeheads that they can get high on floating crude oil and they'll clear the Gulf so fast it'll make your head spin.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Default This is the best idea I've seen yet

I like this suggestion. Just have to make sure all the occupants are in the building when they do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

How would B/P handle a coffee spill?

http://www.allproudamericans.com/how...fee-spill.html
    Think first and be safe. Your family wants to hold you, not a folded flag.

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    NEWS FLASH!!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!!

DATELINE: NEW ORLEANS!!!

Oreck Vacuum Company has just deployed a fleet of Oreck Vacuum Boats to clean up the massive oil spill.

More at 10pm

The next sound you will hear will really suck...
    Way to go PK!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Easy Fix..........

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Way to go PK!

Enact a Tax on "Unprocessed Oil that is not contained within a Pipe or Tank".......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

The June 14 issue of Waterways Journal has an item about a company called SkimOil that is ramping up production of their oil skimmers for use in Louisiana,Alabama and Florida.The units are built for calmer waters so they can't be used in the Gulf for picking up the oil.The article didn't say if they were trying to design one that could handle open waters.
    Basically,they suck up the oily water,seperate the two and dump the water overboard while retaining the oil.
    And Kevin Costner thinks that he invented the process.
    Doncha just hate instant experts?I do and I know of a few incidents where I were one.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    How would B/P handle a coffee spill?

http://www.allproudamericans.com/how...fee-spill.html
    OK that was just plain funny LOL.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    The June 14 issue of Waterways Journal has an item about a company called SkimOil that is ramping up production of their oil skimmers for use in Louisiana,Alabama and Florida.The units are built for calmer waters so they can't be used in the Gulf for picking up the oil.The article didn't say if they were trying to design one that could handle open waters.
    Basically,they suck up the oily water,seperate the two and dump the water overboard while retaining the oil.
    And Kevin Costner thinks that he invented the process.
    Doncha just hate instant experts?I do and I know of a few incidents where I were one.
    What is really sad is that it took 8 years to put a man on the moon. 21 years after the Exxon Valdez crashed we still can't respond to an oil spill.

Forum Member

Check out the post in the "News Center" on oil spill solutions for a related post.
    There is clean up progress being made.It's just that while they are sucking up oil,building barriers,raking the beaches and kissing POTUS' axe,there's more crude oil emerging from the seafloor.
    Kinda like when you're spraying water on the A side of a structure but there is still fire showing on the B and C sides.It doesn't mean that you aren't doing anything but rather,your efforts haven't affected those parts of the fire yet.And you don't like it when reporters ask why the fire isn't out yet,like there was a specific scehdule that was promulgated.it's just that you guys aren't following it.
    The last oil spill I worked on was at Paducah Ky in 1998 when a night shift tankerman managed to pay more attention to the phone call in the office with his girlfriend than he was to loading the fuel flat for the day's ops.
    My first day on the job as a pilot/tankerman and we had to drag the oil booms off the dock which is a lot easier than restowing them.We hooked the end of the boom to the grocery boat and ran it around both fuel flat and storage barge to contain the oil.After the Coast Guard determined how much had been spilled(500 gallons of No.2 Diesel) and told us we could let it go to disperse in the Ohio River,we began taking up the booms.Oil covered booms are much worse to handle than putting soot/mud/whateverthef***thatwas covered LDH back on the rig.
    I was standing behind the guy who'd had the spill pulling the boom but he never spoke a word to me and it was his "Friday" so we didn't meet until he came back from his time off 5 days later.
    His reasoning was "I had the spill last week and there's a new guy already hired.I'll get him fired before I go" and that's eventually what happened.But that's another story.
    The thing is,small or large oil spills are messy and a lot of work has to be done,diverting manpower and resources from other jobs and it it takes time to do it.

What is really sad is that it took 8 years to put a man on the moon. 21 years after the Exxon Valdez crashed we still can't respond to an oil spill.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Check out the post in the "News Center" on oil spill solutions for a related post.
    There is clean up progress being made.It's just that while they are sucking up oil,building barriers,raking the beaches and kissing POTUS' axe,there's more crude oil emerging from the seafloor.
    Kinda like when you're spraying water on the A side of a structure but there is still fire showing on the B and C sides.It doesn't mean that you aren't doing anything but rather,your efforts haven't affected those parts of the fire yet.And you don't like it when reporters ask why the fire isn't out yet,like there was a specific scehdule that was promulgated.it's just that you guys aren't following it.
    The last oil spill I worked on was at Paducah Ky in 1998 when a night shift tankerman managed to pay more attention to the phone call in the office with his girlfriend than he was to loading the fuel flat for the day's ops.
    My first day on the job as a pilot/tankerman and we had to drag the oil booms off the dock which is a lot easier than restowing them.We hooked the end of the boom to the grocery boat and ran it around both fuel flat and storage barge to contain the oil.After the Coast Guard determined how much had been spilled(500 gallons of No.2 Diesel) and told us we could let it go to disperse in the Ohio River,we began taking up the booms.Oil covered booms are much worse to handle than putting soot/mud/whateverthef***thatwas covered LDH back on the rig.
    I was standing behind the guy who'd had the spill pulling the boom but he never spoke a word to me and it was his "Friday" so we didn't meet until he came back from his time off 5 days later.
    His reasoning was "I had the spill last week and there's a new guy already hired.I'll get him fired before I go" and that's eventually what happened.But that's another story.
    The thing is,small or large oil spills are messy and a lot of work has to be done,diverting manpower and resources from other jobs and it it takes time to do it.
    Here is something a bit interesting Kevin Costner's Oil Cleanup Machines on the Way
    Three centrifugal oil-water separating machines manufactured by Kevin Costner's company are on their way to the Gulf of Mexico, where they'll be deployed over the next 60 days..

Energy giant BP has purchased 32 of the machines from the Costner's Ocean Therapy Solutions to fight the Gulf oil spill. Costner said the machines can separate oil from water without the use of chemical agents.

"I didn't come here to save the day," he said at a news conference in Port Fourchon, La. "I have come to participate."
    My question. Why isn't the Government buying them? Like you have pointed out. The government cleans up oil spills on the land, why not in federal waters? The even better question is why did our government give up on these machines in 1995 under Bill Clinton. You would think a liberal such as himself would be concerned for the environment. It is just sad that our elected leaders didn't have the foresight and intelligence to prepare for another oil spill. And you can believe me when I tell you this won't be the last either.

They are getting these things 60 days late. If Obama had a clue he would have ordered these 2 months ago. The entire federal response has been a non-response. They don't even have a plan. What if this were a real emergency?

Forum Member

You may or may not discount the source but I heard on the local FOX News station that the government actually WAS buying Costner's invention(I'll give him props.He's trying)for use as soon as they can be built.
    It IS a real emergency.It's just that the government owned equipment is kept elsewhere.The Navy has already,as of the 7 June Waterways Journal,deployed almost its entire inventory of pollution booms and near shore skimmers from Virginia and California naval warehouses.
    With the amount spilling because they can't just reach down and turn the valves or use a Sawzall to cut off the broken parts before installing new valves,it's just going to take time.
    Hayull,I got people wondering why I'm not down there when I applied for work doing spill cleanup about 3 weeks ago.It just takes time.

Here is something a bit interesting Kevin Costner's Oil Cleanup Machines on the Way

My question. Why isn't the Government buying them? Like you have pointed out. The government cleans up oil spills on the land, why not in federal waters? The even better question is why did our government give up on these machines in 1995 under Bill Clinton. You would think a liberal such as himself would be concerned for the environment. It is just sad that our elected leaders didn't have the foresight and intelligence to prepare for another oil spill. And you can believe me when I tell you this won't be the last either.

They are getting these things 60 days late. If Obama had a clue he would have ordered these 2 months ago. The entire federal response has been a non-response. They don't even have a plan. What if this were a real emergency?

Thread Information