1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default FLASH-Oil Spill stopped

    At 1300 local time,BP execs announced that the latest attempt to staunch the spill from the Deepwater Horizon well had worked.
    Crews spent the morning of 9 June feeding the hole in the ocean's floor with wedding cake.
    Now the well won't put out.


















    Psych!

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    You knew it was going that way...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Hahaaha. The real joke would be for some science-geek high-schooler to figure a way of collecting the surface oil and processing enough of it to make a quick buck out of it. Imagine how fast they would be working to stop flow/clean up then eh? Especially if the process hit the internet.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    The technology to collect a lot of the oil currently pouring out already exists.Skimmers,oil containment booms(not really effective in open water but you use what you have) and people tossing out oil absorbent pads and then collecting them have worked before and can help even if it takes a while to do it all.Even centrifugal oil purifiers can be used to seperate oil from water and dump the water overboard while piping the oil to tanks are available in sizes bign enough to work.
    The government would rather spend time listening to an actor(Why did you just think Kevin Costner?) with a device that only replicates available equipment instead of working to co-ordinate the shipment of as much oil collection gear as can fit in the Gulf of Mexico.
    That would be too simple and an efficient use of government time.

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Hahaaha. The real joke would be for some science-geek high-schooler to figure a way of collecting the surface oil and processing enough of it to make a quick buck out of it. Imagine how fast they would be working to stop flow/clean up then eh? Especially if the process hit the internet.
    Last edited by doughesson; 06-10-2010 at 03:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    NEWS FLASH!!!

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!!

    DATELINE: NEW ORLEANS!!!


    Oreck Vacuum Company has just deployed a fleet of Oreck Vacuum Boats to clean up the massive oil spill.

    More at 10pm


    The next sound you will hear will really suck...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    firecat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Betwixt here and there.
    Posts
    3,482

    Default

    Since first hearing of the issue, I've wondered why they haven't had those centrifugal devices out there right from the start. I know they're expensive but surely not as much so as the clean-up will be if and when they get that sucker capped.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    "THAT" isn't a sucker...

    It is a blower...

    I agree... the response has been dismal and "too-little too-late".

    Send a few thousand firefighters down there and they will solve it, or at least have a good time trying...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Actually what I was getting at was that some smart kid could make himself some big money (until BP and USG got notice) scooping that stuff up and selling it.

  9. #9
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Hahaaha. The real joke would be for some science-geek high-schooler to figure a way of collecting the surface oil and processing enough of it to make a quick buck out of it. Imagine how fast they would be working to stop flow/clean up then eh? Especially if the process hit the internet.
    The technology already exists. the Dutch have it. Kevin Costner also has a company that can do the same. Seems there was a previous oil spill from the Exxon Valdez that spurned the development of all of this technology. Of course after 21 years of no problems no one cared.

  10. #10
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Since first hearing of the issue, I've wondered why they haven't had those centrifugal devices out there right from the start. I know they're expensive but surely not as much so as the clean-up will be if and when they get that sucker capped.
    Exactly!!!!! From day one they have not tried to pick up the oil or contain the spill. The response had been dismal at best.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Exactly!!!!! From day one they have not tried to pick up the oil or contain the spill. The response had been dismal at best.
    Shutup.....

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,122

    Default

    Wanna solve this thing? Tell the dopeheads that they can get high on floating crude oil and they'll clear the Gulf so fast it'll make your head spin.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    438

    Default This is the best idea I've seen yet

    I like this suggestion. Just have to make sure all the occupants are in the building when they do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Chiefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    201

    Default

    How would B/P handle a coffee spill?


    http://www.allproudamericans.com/how...fee-spill.html
    Think first and be safe. Your family wants to hold you, not a folded flag.

    Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    NEWS FLASH!!!

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!!

    DATELINE: NEW ORLEANS!!!


    Oreck Vacuum Company has just deployed a fleet of Oreck Vacuum Boats to clean up the massive oil spill.

    More at 10pm


    The next sound you will hear will really suck...
    Way to go PK!

  16. #16
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Thumbs up Easy Fix..........

    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Way to go PK!

    Enact a Tax on "Unprocessed Oil that is not contained within a Pipe or Tank".......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    The June 14 issue of Waterways Journal has an item about a company called SkimOil that is ramping up production of their oil skimmers for use in Louisiana,Alabama and Florida.The units are built for calmer waters so they can't be used in the Gulf for picking up the oil.The article didn't say if they were trying to design one that could handle open waters.
    Basically,they suck up the oily water,seperate the two and dump the water overboard while retaining the oil.
    And Kevin Costner thinks that he invented the process.
    Doncha just hate instant experts?I do and I know of a few incidents where I were one.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    How would B/P handle a coffee spill?


    http://www.allproudamericans.com/how...fee-spill.html
    OK that was just plain funny LOL.
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    The June 14 issue of Waterways Journal has an item about a company called SkimOil that is ramping up production of their oil skimmers for use in Louisiana,Alabama and Florida.The units are built for calmer waters so they can't be used in the Gulf for picking up the oil.The article didn't say if they were trying to design one that could handle open waters.
    Basically,they suck up the oily water,seperate the two and dump the water overboard while retaining the oil.
    And Kevin Costner thinks that he invented the process.
    Doncha just hate instant experts?I do and I know of a few incidents where I were one.
    What is really sad is that it took 8 years to put a man on the moon. 21 years after the Exxon Valdez crashed we still can't respond to an oil spill.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Check out the post in the "News Center" on oil spill solutions for a related post.
    There is clean up progress being made.It's just that while they are sucking up oil,building barriers,raking the beaches and kissing POTUS' axe,there's more crude oil emerging from the seafloor.
    Kinda like when you're spraying water on the A side of a structure but there is still fire showing on the B and C sides.It doesn't mean that you aren't doing anything but rather,your efforts haven't affected those parts of the fire yet.And you don't like it when reporters ask why the fire isn't out yet,like there was a specific scehdule that was promulgated.it's just that you guys aren't following it.
    The last oil spill I worked on was at Paducah Ky in 1998 when a night shift tankerman managed to pay more attention to the phone call in the office with his girlfriend than he was to loading the fuel flat for the day's ops.
    My first day on the job as a pilot/tankerman and we had to drag the oil booms off the dock which is a lot easier than restowing them.We hooked the end of the boom to the grocery boat and ran it around both fuel flat and storage barge to contain the oil.After the Coast Guard determined how much had been spilled(500 gallons of No.2 Diesel) and told us we could let it go to disperse in the Ohio River,we began taking up the booms.Oil covered booms are much worse to handle than putting soot/mud/whateverthef***thatwas covered LDH back on the rig.
    I was standing behind the guy who'd had the spill pulling the boom but he never spoke a word to me and it was his "Friday" so we didn't meet until he came back from his time off 5 days later.
    His reasoning was "I had the spill last week and there's a new guy already hired.I'll get him fired before I go" and that's eventually what happened.But that's another story.
    The thing is,small or large oil spills are messy and a lot of work has to be done,diverting manpower and resources from other jobs and it it takes time to do it.


    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    What is really sad is that it took 8 years to put a man on the moon. 21 years after the Exxon Valdez crashed we still can't respond to an oil spill.

  21. #21
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Check out the post in the "News Center" on oil spill solutions for a related post.
    There is clean up progress being made.It's just that while they are sucking up oil,building barriers,raking the beaches and kissing POTUS' axe,there's more crude oil emerging from the seafloor.
    Kinda like when you're spraying water on the A side of a structure but there is still fire showing on the B and C sides.It doesn't mean that you aren't doing anything but rather,your efforts haven't affected those parts of the fire yet.And you don't like it when reporters ask why the fire isn't out yet,like there was a specific scehdule that was promulgated.it's just that you guys aren't following it.
    The last oil spill I worked on was at Paducah Ky in 1998 when a night shift tankerman managed to pay more attention to the phone call in the office with his girlfriend than he was to loading the fuel flat for the day's ops.
    My first day on the job as a pilot/tankerman and we had to drag the oil booms off the dock which is a lot easier than restowing them.We hooked the end of the boom to the grocery boat and ran it around both fuel flat and storage barge to contain the oil.After the Coast Guard determined how much had been spilled(500 gallons of No.2 Diesel) and told us we could let it go to disperse in the Ohio River,we began taking up the booms.Oil covered booms are much worse to handle than putting soot/mud/whateverthef***thatwas covered LDH back on the rig.
    I was standing behind the guy who'd had the spill pulling the boom but he never spoke a word to me and it was his "Friday" so we didn't meet until he came back from his time off 5 days later.
    His reasoning was "I had the spill last week and there's a new guy already hired.I'll get him fired before I go" and that's eventually what happened.But that's another story.
    The thing is,small or large oil spills are messy and a lot of work has to be done,diverting manpower and resources from other jobs and it it takes time to do it.
    Here is something a bit interesting Kevin Costner's Oil Cleanup Machines on the Way
    Three centrifugal oil-water separating machines manufactured by Kevin Costner's company are on their way to the Gulf of Mexico, where they'll be deployed over the next 60 days..

    Energy giant BP has purchased 32 of the machines from the Costner's Ocean Therapy Solutions to fight the Gulf oil spill. Costner said the machines can separate oil from water without the use of chemical agents.

    "I didn't come here to save the day," he said at a news conference in Port Fourchon, La. "I have come to participate."
    My question. Why isn't the Government buying them? Like you have pointed out. The government cleans up oil spills on the land, why not in federal waters? The even better question is why did our government give up on these machines in 1995 under Bill Clinton. You would think a liberal such as himself would be concerned for the environment. It is just sad that our elected leaders didn't have the foresight and intelligence to prepare for another oil spill. And you can believe me when I tell you this won't be the last either.

    They are getting these things 60 days late. If Obama had a clue he would have ordered these 2 months ago. The entire federal response has been a non-response. They don't even have a plan. What if this were a real emergency?

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    You may or may not discount the source but I heard on the local FOX News station that the government actually WAS buying Costner's invention(I'll give him props.He's trying)for use as soon as they can be built.
    It IS a real emergency.It's just that the government owned equipment is kept elsewhere.The Navy has already,as of the 7 June Waterways Journal,deployed almost its entire inventory of pollution booms and near shore skimmers from Virginia and California naval warehouses.
    With the amount spilling because they can't just reach down and turn the valves or use a Sawzall to cut off the broken parts before installing new valves,it's just going to take time.
    Hayull,I got people wondering why I'm not down there when I applied for work doing spill cleanup about 3 weeks ago.It just takes time.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Here is something a bit interesting Kevin Costner's Oil Cleanup Machines on the Way

    My question. Why isn't the Government buying them? Like you have pointed out. The government cleans up oil spills on the land, why not in federal waters? The even better question is why did our government give up on these machines in 1995 under Bill Clinton. You would think a liberal such as himself would be concerned for the environment. It is just sad that our elected leaders didn't have the foresight and intelligence to prepare for another oil spill. And you can believe me when I tell you this won't be the last either.

    They are getting these things 60 days late. If Obama had a clue he would have ordered these 2 months ago. The entire federal response has been a non-response. They don't even have a plan. What if this were a real emergency?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pelosi blames Bush administration for BP oil spill.
    By SPFDRum in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 06:57 PM
  2. Global Warming. Some truths.
    By FlyingKiwi in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 11:24 AM
  3. Oil truck strikes snowbank, dumps heating fuel in Salem
    By stm4710 in forum Hazardous Materials General Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 10:00 PM
  4. Oil Gas.....OPS
    By Just a new name in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 05:43 PM
  5. AFFF or FFFP
    By Lallo in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2002, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register