Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm consistently able to make the top 3% of candidates, but continue to fail the polygraphs when I'm telling the truth. I've retaken some tests at the departments' expense, and passed, but then something else has happened. Like the academy was cancelled, or they hired up to the number below me.

After 4 years, and 22 testing processes, I think I may be done. I'm 32 years old and in great shape, but I'm getting to the point where I actually have to have a decent career for my family and need more than an EMT's salary for retirement.

I feel for you, because I'm living it...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DegreesOfFreedom View Post
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm consistently able to make the top 3% of candidates, but continue to fail the polygraphs when I'm telling the truth. I've retaken some tests at the departments' expense, and passed, but then something else has happened. Like the academy was cancelled, or they hired up to the number below me.

After 4 years, and 22 testing processes, I think I may be done. I'm 32 years old and in great shape, but I'm getting to the point where I actually have to have a decent career for my family and need more than an EMT's salary for retirement.

I feel for you, because I'm living it...
    Have you studied anything to help you with them, like the stuff on polygraph.com. If so has anything helped. It is frustraiting when someone calls you a liar when your not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doss View Post
    Have you studied anything to help you with them, like the stuff on polygraph.com. If so has anything helped. It is frustraiting when someone calls you a liar when your not.
    Yes I have educated myself on the polygraph and it has helped me be less nervous about the process.

One problem is that where I live, there are only a couple contract agencies that do polygraphs. Generally, the local fire departments use the same agency. I have gone to this place for polygraphs six times now. When they ask if I have taken a polygraph before, I have to tell them that I have done "X" amount of polygraphs with them. Then the polygraphist inevitably goes "to the back" and reviews all of my previous results. After that, I feel like they have already decided whether I will pass or fail that day.

After failing 3 backgrounds for large departments because of this, I don't know if I am even hireable. Now every time I do a background, I have to state that I have failed fire department backgrounds. Why would they want me when they can move onto the next person.

I have a pretty clean background compared other people I know that have been hired. Everyone that knows me is blown away by the fact that these departments are not picking me up.

Forum Member

Sucks man. Luckily my department doesn't put much stock into them, although we did have to take them. I know guys who lied and passed, and guys like you that told the truth and failed. Pretty pointless test if you ask me. Don't give up though!

Forum Member

I feel ya man. I took mine today and I wasn't even hooked up to the machine and I was disqualified (just going for volunteer). We were going over the background packet and he was asking me question to see if I needed to change anything (I didn't, I was completely honest), but we still went over it anyhow. There was one question that asked if "In the past 5 years, have I ever driven a vehicle under the influence of alcohol that could lead to a DWI/DUI". He asked me this question in the "preliminary" session of the polygraph (before I was hooked up). I was telling the truth and said yes. I've done it 3 times. He asked me if I would've blown a .08 and I said no and that I wouldn't even blown near that. He asked me why I answered yes then. I told him because I was 20. Here in Texas, if you're a minor and have even one drop of alcohol in you and you're caught driving, you can get arrest and charged with DWI/DUI. I'm still 20 and don't turn 21 till october. He left the room and 5 minutes later told me I was done and it was because of that reason. I have never driven even close to being drunk because I'm not that dumb. But I'm looking at it in a positive way. This now gives me time to get my emt cert and possibly my fire cert before I apply again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODUKE View Post
    But I'm looking at it in a positive way. This now gives me time to get my emt cert and possibly my fire cert before I apply again.
    You will still have to face the fact that you admitted to underage drinking. Not a deal buster by itself, but still a factor.

If you fill the questions and then come back with the evaluator and change anything, it's automatically a DQ'd.

One candidate was asked if he every took or stole anything from an employer. He worked for an amublance company and put down he took $25.00 of medical supplies to put together an emergency kit for his car in case he came across an accident. Between the time he filled out the form and was hooked up to the poly he through the figure was probably $50.00. So he changed his answer. He was DQ'd.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Yeah admitting it wasn't something I wanted to do but either way he would've known. I didn't change anything so far and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't needed to anyhow but I guess being a minor and alcohol is a huge no-no.

Is the polygraph designed to see if you are a liar, or is it designed to get all of your skeletons out of the closet?

Instead of "have you ever done drugs?" or "have you ever stolen?", why not ask "do you intend to do drugs?" or "do you intend to steal"?

If someone could post the list of questions asked prior to the polygraph, and then the questions asked during the polygraph, it would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

Thread Information