Forum Member

Default Looking for mack cf tower

I am looking to purchase a mack cf tower ladder. Can be single or 2 axle rear. I am looking to purchase the truck for my father whos FDNY retired. Truck does not have to be in perfict cond. As long as it runs and drives. I have been looking for one for a long time and figure I will try posting this to help find one. Please PM. me with any info, Thanks

Forum Member

Default Mack Tower

Contact me off line I might have a lead on something. Let me know where you are located. If your looking to make this a privately owned vehicle you're probably better off with a single rear axle model. Also the person transporting the vehicle will need a commerical driver license.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpecWriter View Post
    Contact me off line I might have a lead on something. Let me know where you are located. If your looking to make this a privately owned vehicle you're probably better off with a single rear axle model. Also the person transporting the vehicle will need a commerical driver license.
    You need to check with the laws of the state the vehicle is being registered in. In most cases, if it is registered as an antique, and not used for commerce of any kind, a CDL is not needed.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    You need to check with the laws of the state the vehicle is being registered in. In most cases, if it is registered as an antique, and not used for commerce of any kind, a CDL is not needed.
    Incorrect. If it has air brakes, you have to have a CDL class B license with air brake endorsement, as a min.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Incorrect. If it has air brakes, you have to have a CDL class B license with air brake endorsement, as a min.

FM1
    NEGATIVE. It's all in how it is registered and used.

You could have one of those super-deluxe bus-style RV's, with air brakes, weighing in excess of 50 or 60K.....If it is registered as an RV, and is used for personal use, you do not need a CDL, air brake endorsement or not. The buses that celebrities travel on of course, require a CDL as they are in commerce.

Any vehicle registered as an antique, that is not in commerce of any kind, nor for any kind of hire, does not require a CDL to operate.

The American Truck Historical Society and the Antique Truck Club of American both have good write ups on their websites about the topic. Right now, both organizations are fighting to get federal laws in place to exempt antiques from fuel taxes. Some states have exemptions, some do not.

Forum Member

While I don't think either is actually listed, you could try East Pennsboro/Midway 19 in Cumberland County PA; and Lewisberry 29 in York County PA. Both companies have older scopes that may be available.

Let's talk fire trucks!

FM1, different laws for different states. I have two rigs, one is an antique, and one is not. The one that isn't antique is registered as a collector vehicle in Virginia, and since it's not being used for commodity and it's a collector vehicle, I'm not required to have a CDL for it. As for the antique, no requirement at all for a CDL, no matter what the brake style or weight. Being old has it's privileges.

To the OP, check with the Blackstone, VA VFD. They currently have a 75' Mack/Scope for sale.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I'm half wrong, and half right. Same with FWD. BoxAlarm is right, it depends on the State.

At one time the RV's with air brakes had to have a Class B non-CDL. That isn't the case anymore here (not sure when it changed). But, a private pick up truck (non-commercial), as with the CXT with air brakes, does require it.

I found this concerning RV license requirements. State to state info is towards the bottom.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

As for the antique thingy, I honestly don't have a clue on it. Never looked. But thanks for the info.

FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 06-17-2010 at 02:12 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    I'm half wrong, and half right. Same with FWD. BoxAlarm is right, it depends on the State.

At one time the RV's with air brakes had to have a Class B non-CDL. That isn't the case anymore here (not sure when it changed). But, a private pick up truck (non-commercial), as with the CXT with air brakes, does require it.

I found this concerning RV license requirements. State to state info is towards the bottom.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

As for the antique thingy, I honestly don't have a clue on it. Never looked. But thanks for the info.

FM1
    That is CORRECT. Similar to the other thread we argueing over in the Extrication forum. What IS standard is there IS no "standard". T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    That is CORRECT. Similar to the other thread we argueing over in the Extrication forum. What IS standard is there IS no "standard". T.C.
    Yup yup yup.....Even within states, Law Enforcement agencies and officers do not know the requirements. Hell, even the STATE AGENCIES are not sure. Case in point:

There was a question among members of my antique club several years ago, as to whether a CDL was required in Pennsylvania. Many members in New Jersey (rightfully) claimed a CDL was not required, and received confirmation through State Assemblyman John Burzichelli, who himself owns several antique Ward LaFrances. So us Pennsylvanians decided we wanted official confirmation. I volunteered to make some phone calls. Heh. Big mistake.

I called Harrisburg multiple times. The question was always the same: "Does an antique truck, registered as an antique truck, but weighs in excess of 26,001 lbs, require a CDL?"

The answer was always the same: "Yes." And I would reply "ok, which statute are you using to determine that?" And they would say "well, it weighs more than 26,001 pounds." And then I would say "Well, what about an RV that weighs 50,000 pounds?" (I already knew the answer....) And I would hear pages flipping on the other end of the phone, and the person scratching their head....and thinking, and smoke coming from their ears..... And eventually they would say "Let me get your name and number and I will call you back."

After this same thing happened the third time, I finally called my local representative's office. After carefully explaining the situation to the senior staffer there (several times, with much head scratching on their part) they finally understood the quandry. They promised they would get back to me.

After several months, I did get a phone call from the staffer. Seems my inquiry caused a great disturbance in the force in the Bureau of Driver Licensing in Harrisburg. So much so, in fact, that my inquiry went all the way to the head of Driver Licensing himself. The problem- nothing in any state statutes addresses antique trucks in excess of 26,001 pounds. So the big man himself issued a letter to my State Rep (circulating me a copy) stating that "A CDL is not needed, however the operator must possess a class rating on their license commensurate with the GVWR of the vehicle in question."

A copy of this letter stays in the glove box of the truck, in the same envelope as the CAT scale ticket!!!

Forum Member

We borrowed one from Verga Fire Company in South Jersey while our's was being re-done by Pierce in 2005. Don't know if they still have it but they weren't planning on using it anymore.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Default This truck is in Great Shape!

PUBLIC NOTICE, BOROUGH OF WASHINGTON (WARREN COUNTY)
    NOTICE OF AUCTION OF SURPLUS VEHICLE IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.S.A. 40A:11-36. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that sealed bids for the surplus item listed below will be received by the Purchasing Agent, for the Borough of Washington, County of Warren, State of New Jersey on FRIDAY, JUNE 18, 2010 at 12:00 PM at 100 Belvidere Avenue, Washington, NJ 07882 at which time and place bids will be opened and read in public for:

1975 Mack Aerialscope (Fire Truck), VIN: CF611FAP1768
    Minimum Bid: $10,000

Conditions of Sale:
    A deposit of 10% of bid (via Cash or Certified Check) is required in sealed bid envelope. Full
    payment is due at time of pick up. Bidder must have proof of insurance for vehicle at time of pick-up. Vehicle must be removed within seven (7) days of auction. If not, deposit will be forfeited and the vehicle put up for resale. No guarantees or warranties are given by the Borough regarding the vehicle. The vehicle is sold AS IS. No sale will be invalid due to defects discovered in the vehicle after the sale. The Borough of Washington assumes no responsibility once the vehicle is sold. We reserve the right to cancel this sale at any time for any reason. The vehicle may be inspected on FRIDAY, JUNE 18, 2010 at the Washington Borough Fire Department, 100 Belvidere Avenue, Washington, NJ 07882 from 8:30AM - 11:30AM. Potential bidders are urged to inspect the vehicle prior to bidding. The Borough makes no representations or warranties that this vehicle is capable of being used to fight fires or respond to other emergencies. Bidders are encouraged to consult with appropriate state and federal regulations regarding the potential uses of this used vehicle. The Borough reserve the right to reject any or all bids or to accept such bids as it deems in the best interest of the Borough of Washington.

Richard Phelan
    Borough Manager/Purchasing Agent

Forum Member

Having been with that truck for the last 10 years of its life and it being my favorite as a kid, seeing that bid post puts a knot in my stomach. I hope she finds a good home.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Nice Truck

Quote Originally Posted by TowerLadder8369 View Post
    Having been with that truck for the last 10 years of its life and it being my favorite as a kid, seeing that bid post puts a knot in my stomach. I hope she finds a good home.
    I have seen your old Scope, it is still in great shape and was refurbed by Baker about 13 years back !! Did she get sold ?

Forum Member

thanks to all leads. still looking.

MembersZone Subscriber

Saw one on the SPAAMFFA web site

http://www.spaamfaa.org/adlist.htm

Thread Information